Fundraising and Anonnotice

db-3
Look at the data:
http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/ongoing/index.php/2006-02/

Conclusions:

1. This notice is not an effective means at raising
funds.
2. Having this notice up outside of the fund drives
may have a serious negative impact on the fund drives.
The next time it says, "Wikimedia needs your help" the
new instinctive reaction is, "Oh, they're always
asking for money".
3. If the individuals who maintain this notice insist
on having it up all the time, then, again, just look
at this data:
http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/ongoing/index.php/2006-01/

The conclusion here is that Jimmy's personal appeal is
FAR FAR more effective at raising funds.

Therefore: if enough people are insisting on keeping
this notice up, AT LEAST change the link back to
Jimmy's personal appeal until we find something else
that is even more effective. Not doing so is only
going to have a negative impact on long term
fundraising for Wikimedia.

The personal appeal is well written, sincere, and
effective. The general fundraising page leaves a lot
to be desired. Also, we should set it up so that
people can sign up for ongoing monthly donations, e.g.
$10 taken out of my PayPal account or credit card each
month.

Also, the notice itself, stating, "Pleas read founder
Jimmy Wales personal appeal" is far more attractive to
the majority of nonregistered wikipedia users.

There is a comment on
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Anonnotice&action=history
by mav stating "(de-link month-old appeal as promised
and replace with 'Your [continued donations] keep
Wikipedia free!')"

I don't know where or to whom this was promised, and I
can assure you that the majority of nonregistered
users don't either.

-d

Re: Fundraising and Anonnotice

Daniel Mayer
--- db <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. This notice is not an effective means at raising
> funds.

Donations have always dropped way off after fund drives end. The big difference this time was that
Jimmy's appeal cushioned that drop a bit for a few weeks after the end of this drive. Even so, the
current daily average is still well over twice that of the last whole month without any
fundraising drive, November 2005 ($438 vs $1190). The notice is simply a reminder that we need and
accept donations; not much more than the plain [Donations] link in the sidebar but slightly more
noticeable. In fact, simply thanking people for their continued donations may cause less donor
fatigue than even the current message.

> The conclusion here is that Jimmy's personal appeal is
> FAR FAR more effective at raising funds.

See the anonnotice talk page. There was an edit war over having Jimmy's name on every page on the
English Wikipedia since that was showing up on Google search results. It did make 'Jimmy Wales'
more popular than 'Jesus Christ' for a while, according to GoogleFight. :)

> Therefore: if enough people are insisting on keeping
> this notice up, AT LEAST change the link back to
> Jimmy's personal appeal until we find something else
> that is even more effective. Not doing so is only
> going to have a negative impact on long term
> fundraising for Wikimedia.

I'm not opposed to that. But at the same time we have to consider donor fatigue and the fact that
Jimmy's appeal is just about the best kind of weapon we have during an actual fundraiser. Using
the same weapon all the time may tire potential donors. Thus the simple statement that donations
keep Wikipedia running. Simple stuff like that will tend to prime the well instead of running it
dry, IMO.

> The personal appeal is well written, sincere, and
> effective. The general fundraising page leaves a lot
> to be desired. Also, we should set it up so that
> people can sign up for ongoing monthly donations, e.g.
> $10 taken out of my PayPal account or credit card each
> month.

Yeah, the general fundraising page needs a lot of help. It has been a long while since it was last
overhauled and doing that is on my ToDo list. Please visit the copy on meta to help improve it.

> There is a comment on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Anonnotice&action=history
> by mav stating "(de-link month-old appeal as promised
> and replace with 'Your [continued donations] keep
> Wikipedia free!')"
>
> I don't know where or to whom this was promised, and I
> can assure you that the majority of nonregistered
> users don't either.

The edit comment right before that one.

-- mav

--- Daniel Mayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> --- db <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 1. This notice is not an effective means at raising
> > funds.

I see what the problem is. Looks like the PayPal script has not been working for the last several
days so it *looks* like donations have dropped to zero. They haven't (I just checked the PayPal
account). But they are a bit down per the month's average ; likely due to the absence of the
donation tracking feedback.

I just asked Brion to fix this.

-- mav