Fundraising banners

Nathan Awrich
Hi folks, just curious - is the appeal from Jimmy going to be the
standard banner for the remainder of the fundraiser? Congratulations,
by the way, on the success of the drive thus far - it has raised 92%
of the annual goal, or $6.498M, according to the fundraiser statistics
page. Despite early hiccups with the banner content, this fundraiser
appears to be (by a wide margin) the most successful in Wikimedia's
history.

Nathan

Re: Fundraising banners

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks, just curious - is the appeal from Jimmy going to be the
> standard banner for the remainder of the fundraiser?

It looks like we're also running a "Last chance to donate to Wikipedia
in 2009" banner at 20% on the English Wikipedia, but Jimmy's appeal is
still the "standard banner".

I'm pretty sure that we're going to continue running the Jimmy Appeal
until around Monday, and then we're switching to a general thank you
banner (with a link to Jimmy's thank you letter).

> Congratulations,
> by the way, on the success of the drive thus far - it has raised 92%
> of the annual goal, or $6.498M, according to the fundraiser statistics
> page. Despite early hiccups with the banner content, this fundraiser
> appears to be (by a wide margin) the most successful in Wikimedia's
> history.

:D

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: Fundraising banners

joseph seddon

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks, just curious - is the appeal from Jimmy going to be the
> > standard banner for the remainder of the fundraiser?
>
> It looks like we're also running a "Last chance to donate to Wikipedia
> in 2009" banner at 20% on the English Wikipedia, but Jimmy's appeal is
> still the "standard banner".
>
> I'm pretty sure that we're going to continue running the Jimmy Appeal
> until around Monday, and then we're switching to a general thank you
> banner (with a link to Jimmy's thank you letter).
>
> > Congratulations,
> > by the way, on the success of the drive thus far - it has raised 92%
> > of the annual goal, or $6.498M, according to the fundraiser statistics
> > page. Despite early hiccups with the banner content, this fundraiser
> > appears to be (by a wide margin) the most successful in Wikimedia's
> > history.
> >

> :D
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

Not before the foundation wastes another $250,000 to get some company
to tell us to do stuff that doesnt work :)

I wonder if the foundation kept the reciept? Reckon we can get an exchange
or refund?

Joseph Seddon

Re: Fundraising banners

Bod Notbod
Congrats to the WMF on raising all the necessary funds.

I'm sure plenty was learned for next year's effort.

I've always been curious that the fundraiser runs over Christmas. I
thought that would be a time when people are watching their pennies.
What's the reason for that? Just curious, as obviously it has been a
success.

Yay!

Re: Fundraising banners

Michael Snow-3
Bod Notbod wrote:
> Congrats to the WMF on raising all the necessary funds.
>
> I'm sure plenty was learned for next year's effort.
>
> I've always been curious that the fundraiser runs over Christmas. I
> thought that would be a time when people are watching their pennies.
> What's the reason for that? Just curious, as obviously it has been a
> success.

Actually, while holiday gift-giving is a significant expense for many
people, the standard analysis from a charity perspective is that the
spirit of generosity permeating the season makes people more willing to
donate. In addition, for those who deduct contributions on their taxes,
the end of the year is often a time when donors make gifts as they
adjust to reach the desired deduction.

--Michael Snow

Re: Fundraising banners

Liam Wyatt
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Michael Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bod Notbod wrote:
> > Congrats to the WMF on raising all the necessary funds.
> >
> > I'm sure plenty was learned for next year's effort.
> >
> > I've always been curious that the fundraiser runs over Christmas. I
> > thought that would be a time when people are watching their pennies.
> > What's the reason for that? Just curious, as obviously it has been a
> > success.
> >
> Actually, while holiday gift-giving is a significant expense for many
> people, the standard analysis from a charity perspective is that the
> spirit of generosity permeating the season makes people more willing to
> donate. In addition, for those who deduct contributions on their taxes,
> the end of the year is often a time when donors make gifts as they
> adjust to reach the desired deduction.
>
> --Michael Snow

That's interesting. I had always thought that it was done at this time of
year to coincide with "Wikipedia Day" on Jan.15 but that we just reached our
goal early. To that end, Wikipedia Day in 2011 will be our "10th Birthday"
and potentially there is a lot of fundraising/media potential around that
date.

 Yes, I can see how the Christmas "giving spirit" would increase the
potential donations. If that is the reason why it's run in December, why
don't we investigate how donations to WM could be given as a present to a
friend/relative. I know a lot of charities offer "gifts" where what you
personally receive is a certificate to give as a present to your relative,
but the money is actually going to the charity for a nominated purpose. For
example: http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/Product.php?productid=94 Could
donating to WM somehow be made into a christmas present? I believe we've
previously talked about saying things like "donating $30 will run your
language's Wikipedia for 'x' minutes" - perhaps we could turn that into a
certificate kind of thing? (so long as it was made clear that this was
nominal, rather than making a false promise that your donation would be
spent at a precise moment in time).

As for the tax-adjustment aspect, that may be the case for the US (and
granted, that's where most of the money is being raised currently), but
different countries have different periods - here in Australia for example
the fiscal year is July-June.

-Liam [[witty lama]]

Re: Fundraising banners

Sebastian Moleski
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's interesting. I had always thought that it was done at this time of
> year to coincide with "Wikipedia Day" on Jan.15 but that we just reached
> our
> goal early. To that end, Wikipedia Day in 2011 will be our "10th Birthday"
> and potentially there is a lot of fundraising/media potential around that
> date.

I agree. WMDE has already put aside a portion of its budget to plan for
Wikipedia's 10th birthday in 2011. There's definitely a lot of potential
here, not just from a fundraising perspective.

 Yes, I can see how the Christmas "giving spirit" would increase the

> potential donations. If that is the reason why it's run in December, why
> don't we investigate how donations to WM could be given as a present to a
> friend/relative. I know a lot of charities offer "gifts" where what you
> personally receive is a certificate to give as a present to your relative,
> but the money is actually going to the charity for a nominated purpose. For
> example: http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/Product.php?productid=94 Could
> donating to WM somehow be made into a christmas present? I believe we've
> previously talked about saying things like "donating $30 will run your
> language's Wikipedia for 'x' minutes" - perhaps we could turn that into a
> certificate kind of thing? (so long as it was made clear that this was
> nominal, rather than making a false promise that your donation would be
> spent at a precise moment in time).

I think that's an excellent idea :)

As for the tax-adjustment aspect, that may be the case for the US (and
> granted, that's where most of the money is being raised currently), but
> different countries have different periods - here in Australia for example
> the fiscal year is July-June.

It's country-dependent. From what I know, personal income tax returns in
most European countries cover a Jan-Dec period. So the last few days of the
year are also the last chance for donations to be included in that return.
From a purely revenue-maximizing perspective, it makes sense to keep the
fundraiser in November/December.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Re: Fundraising banners

Delphine Ménard
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 09:04, Sebastian Moleski <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Yes, I can see how the Christmas "giving spirit" would increase the
>> potential donations. If that is the reason why it's run in December, why
>> don't we investigate how donations to WM could be given as a present to a
>> friend/relative. I know a lot of charities offer "gifts" where what you
>> personally receive is a certificate to give as a present to your relative,
>> but the money is actually going to the charity for a nominated purpose. For
>> example: http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/Product.php?productid=94 Could
>> donating to WM somehow be made into a christmas present? I believe we've
>> previously talked about saying things like "donating $30 will run your
>> language's Wikipedia for 'x' minutes" - perhaps we could turn that into a
>> certificate kind of thing? (so long as it was made clear that this was
>> nominal, rather than making a false promise that your donation would be
>> spent at a precise moment in time).
>>

> I think that's an excellent idea :)

So do I. I think the 10th birthday is definitely something we want to
include as a prominent topic in a "fundraising summit" to come.
Planning early is indeed of the essence, especially when we want to
take advantage of such events, which only happen once.

> As for the tax-adjustment aspect, that may be the case for the US (and
>> granted, that's where most of the money is being raised currently), but
>> different countries have different periods - here in Australia for example
>> the fiscal year is July-June.
>>

> It's country-dependent. From what I know, personal income tax returns in
> most European countries cover a Jan-Dec period. So the last few days of the
> year are also the last chance for donations to be included in that return.
> From a purely revenue-maximizing perspective, it makes sense to keep the
> fundraiser in November/December.

I think we might also want to try and adjust in a country-specific way
for some languages. I know for example the Polish have their tax
return (and their biggest fundraising opportunity) around April, while
for example chapters-to-be such as India also have their fiscal year
running to April. We might want to try and take into account those
differences to plan accordingly.

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: Fundraising banners

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Yes, I can see how the Christmas "giving spirit" would increase the
> potential donations. If that is the reason why it's run in December, why
> don't we investigate how donations to WM could be given as a present to a
> friend/relative. I know a lot of charities offer "gifts" where what you
> personally receive is a certificate to give as a present to your relative,
> but the money is actually going to the charity for a nominated purpose. For
> example: http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/Product.php?productid=94 Could
> donating to WM somehow be made into a christmas present? I believe we've
> previously talked about saying things like "donating $30 will run your
> language's Wikipedia for 'x' minutes" - perhaps we could turn that into a
> certificate kind of thing? (so long as it was made clear that this was
> nominal, rather than making a false promise that your donation would be
> spent at a precise moment in time).

I was sure that we tried this one year, but I couldn't find it.  I
finally found it on the post-mortem, it's pretty well-hidden.

<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2007/Report#Gift_certificate>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023