Fundraising start

Brad Patrick
Hello, world:

I want to provide everyone with the situation regarding fundraising.
(www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising)

* Fundraising page in its new form is up and running in many languages.
* Need to migrate FAQ from comcom to Foundation wiki
* Need to migrate Press release from comcom to Foundation wiki
* Need to translate FAQ on Foundation wiki
* Need to translate Press release on Foundation wiki
* Need to translate Anthere's appeal on Foundation wiki where not translated
* Site notice needs to be translated in four forms
- Default - now
- Sponsor #1 (matching) -  sometime next week
- Sponsor #2 (matching) - sometime next week
- Sponsor #3 (Anonymous matching) - sometime next week

A word about matching.  So far we expect to have a significant match
extending over several days from an anonymous donor, and two
corporations with matching dates we are still working out.  We don't
have the dates completely set in stone yet, and they will not be in
place until next week. For now, the regular fundraising is underway.  We
are finalizing the site notices shortly, and will be working on all of
this tonight.

Thank you for your patience, and for your support of Wikimedia!

-Brad

Re: Fundraising start

Brion Vibber

Re: [Wmfcc-l] Fundraising start

Andrew Lih
Just a heads up -re: "an anonymous donor"

There was already blowback on this re: the Taiwan Wikimania bid having
an anon donor involved. The donor was later revealed as the donor only
requested the name be withheld during bidding, and that the name could
be revealed afterwards.

The E.D. and board should carefully consider this point, as a
"matching fund" drive is a new experience that folks need to get used
to. But once anonymous donors are involved, the community could turn
against the effort and it is another type of "intrigue" for the
Foundation to have to defend.

It should be explained appropriately, and the board and E.D. should be
able to, on demand, give the reasoning for accepting such donations
and whether the parties involved were screened and meet certain
standards.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)

On 12/16/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, world:
>
> I want to provide everyone with the situation regarding fundraising.
> (www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising)
>
> * Fundraising page in its new form is up and running in many languages.
> * Need to migrate FAQ from comcom to Foundation wiki
> * Need to migrate Press release from comcom to Foundation wiki
> * Need to translate FAQ on Foundation wiki
> * Need to translate Press release on Foundation wiki
> * Need to translate Anthere's appeal on Foundation wiki where not translated
> * Site notice needs to be translated in four forms
> - Default - now
> - Sponsor #1 (matching) -  sometime next week
> - Sponsor #2 (matching) - sometime next week
> - Sponsor #3 (Anonymous matching) - sometime next week
>
> A word about matching.  So far we expect to have a significant match
> extending over several days from an anonymous donor, and two
> corporations with matching dates we are still working out.  We don't
> have the dates completely set in stone yet, and they will not be in
> place until next week. For now, the regular fundraising is underway.  We
> are finalizing the site notices shortly, and will be working on all of
> this tonight.
>
> Thank you for your patience, and for your support of Wikimedia!
>
> -Brad

Re: [Wmfcc-l] Fundraising start

Jimmy Wales
The anonymous donor is a friend of mine, a friend of Wikimedia, who asks
for absolutely nothing in return.  He doesn't even care to be recognized.

What's to defend or explain? :)  Some rich people love our work and
would like to help.

Andrew Lih wrote:

> Just a heads up -re: "an anonymous donor"
>
> There was already blowback on this re: the Taiwan Wikimania bid having
> an anon donor involved. The donor was later revealed as the donor only
> requested the name be withheld during bidding, and that the name could
> be revealed afterwards.
>
> The E.D. and board should carefully consider this point, as a
> "matching fund" drive is a new experience that folks need to get used
> to. But once anonymous donors are involved, the community could turn
> against the effort and it is another type of "intrigue" for the
> Foundation to have to defend.
>
> It should be explained appropriately, and the board and E.D. should be
> able to, on demand, give the reasoning for accepting such donations
> and whether the parties involved were screened and meet certain
> standards.
>
> -Andrew (User:Fuzheado)
>

> On 12/16/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, world:
>>
>> I want to provide everyone with the situation regarding fundraising.
>> (www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising)
>>
>> * Fundraising page in its new form is up and running in many languages.
>> * Need to migrate FAQ from comcom to Foundation wiki
>> * Need to migrate Press release from comcom to Foundation wiki
>> * Need to translate FAQ on Foundation wiki
>> * Need to translate Press release on Foundation wiki
>> * Need to translate Anthere's appeal on Foundation wiki where not translated
>> * Site notice needs to be translated in four forms
>> - Default - now
>> - Sponsor #1 (matching) -  sometime next week
>> - Sponsor #2 (matching) - sometime next week
>> - Sponsor #3 (Anonymous matching) - sometime next week
>>
>> A word about matching.  So far we expect to have a significant match
>> extending over several days from an anonymous donor, and two
>> corporations with matching dates we are still working out.  We don't
>> have the dates completely set in stone yet, and they will not be in
>> place until next week. For now, the regular fundraising is underway.  We
>> are finalizing the site notices shortly, and will be working on all of
>> this tonight.
>>
>> Thank you for your patience, and for your support of Wikimedia!
>>
>> -Brad

Re: [Wmfcc-l] Fundraising start

Mark
Jimmy Wales wrote:
> The anonymous donor is a friend of mine, a friend of Wikimedia, who asks
> for absolutely nothing in return.  He doesn't even care to be recognized.
>
> What's to defend or explain? :)  Some rich people love our work and
> would like to help.

Yeah, that seems perfectly fine to me.  Actually I'm surprised it was
the *anonymous* donor people would be worried about.  Personally I'm a
bit wary of the non-anonymous donors being listened in
sitenotices---someone paying money to get their name on the top of all
Wikipedia pages for a time (as "thanks", naturally) sounds awfully like
the functional equivalent of them buying ad space, only with the quid
pro quo more implicit...

-Mark

Re: Fundraising start

Brion Vibber

Re: Fundraising start

Brianna Laugher
I really like Anthere's appeal (
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Give_the_gift_of_knowledge ). It
is straightforward and clear about how the funds connect to the goals.

I have a memory of there being a page where one can read the donor
comments. Was that on-wiki somewhere or just excerpts posted to
mailing lists?

BTW "Our projects" on the Foundation website appears not to mention Wikiversity.

cheers
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: Fundraising start

Michael Bimmler
> I have a memory of there being a page where one can read the donor
> comments. Was that on-wiki somewhere or just excerpts posted to
> mailing lists?

I remember that Daniel Mayer (or Danny Wool?) used to post his
favourite quotes on the mailinglist, together with a daily activity
report. The comments are also "unfiltered" on the web, see e.g.
http://fundraising.wikimedia.org/ongoing/index.php/2005-02-27/detail/

There is however a banner, stating "Data from October 27, 2006 on is
not shown here while we set up a new reporting system.", so I don't
know whether such a thing will also exist for the current fundraiser.
Michael

Re: [Wmfcc-l] Fundraising start

Stephen Bain
On 12/16/06, Delirium <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, that seems perfectly fine to me.  Actually I'm surprised it was
> the *anonymous* donor people would be worried about.  Personally I'm a
> bit wary of the non-anonymous donors being listened in
> sitenotices---someone paying money to get their name on the top of all
> Wikipedia pages for a time (as "thanks", naturally) sounds awfully like
> the functional equivalent of them buying ad space, only with the quid
> pro quo more implicit...

If my memory serves me correctly, the issue with the sponsor for
Wikimania being anonymous during the bidding process was that some
people were worried about whether they would be able to verify that
the bid did actually have the backing of the sponsor. That isn't
really applicable here.

--
Stephen Bain

Re: Fundraising start

daniwo59
It was Daniel Mayer, not me, and yes, that will appear again this  year.

--the other Danny

Re: Fundraising start

KIZU Naoko
On 12/16/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW "Our projects" on the Foundation website appears not to mention Wikiversity.

We've encouraged Wikiversity folks to submit a description since this
October and thanksfully got a draft recently.

Is the current version on meta is okay for you? > 'versities
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/Our_projects/En:#Wikiversity

If you all like it, let us move it on [[m:TR/quick]] for updating the
wmf website "Our projects".

Btw, there is another Wikiversity related request on [[m:TR/quick]],
waiting for Chinese, Portuguese and Polish editors for featuring it on
the project list on top page. Your help to revise the list will be
appreciated.

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *