Fundraising update

Brad Patrick-2
Hello:

Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.

We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
translation.  Please see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006.
We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
translations put together.

Stay tuned!

-Brad

Re: Fundraising update

James Hare
Does the fundraising thermometer account offline donations as well as
online? Also, the thermometer seems to follow some sort of scale; what is
its "maximum capacity"?

On 12/17/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
> was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
> everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
> exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
> thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
> fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
> http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
>
> We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
> translation.  Please see
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006
> .
> We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
> translations put together.
>
> Stay tuned!
>
> -Brad

Re: Fundraising update

KIZU Naoko
Hello
A comment came from a community:
Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
----
Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
2006 (UTC)
----

Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.

On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
> was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
> everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
> exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
> thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
> fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
> http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
>
> We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
> translation.  Please see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006.
> We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
> translations put together.
>
> Stay tuned!
>
> -Brad

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *

Re: Fundraising update

Bence Damokos
Hi
I'm happy to put the tax deductibility link back (otherwise it follows the
original), but I found it misleading to Hungarian users, as its not clear if
the tax-deductability applies in Hungary (from the help page it seems only
in the USA, and countries with a local chapter registered as a charity is
the case, and otherwise its not deductable).
Bence Damokos

On 12/17/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> A comment came from a community:
>
> Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
> ----
> Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> 2006 (UTC)
> ----
>
> Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.
>
> On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
> > was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
> > everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
> > exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
> > thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
> > fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
> > http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
> >
> > We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
> > translation.  Please see
> >
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006
> .
> > We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
> > translations put together.
> >
> > Stay tuned!
> >
> > -Brad

> KIZU Naoko
>   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
>   * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *

Re: Fundraising update

James Hare
It'd be nice if we implemented something so that on each project, it would
check if the user is from the US or from a country where they have a branch
that can do tax deductability, and then put a link to tax deductability info
if they can get tax deducs.

On 12/17/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I'm happy to put the tax deductibility link back (otherwise it follows the
> original), but I found it misleading to Hungarian users, as its not clear
> if
> the tax-deductability applies in Hungary (from the help page it seems only
> in the USA, and countries with a local chapter registered as a charity is
> the case, and otherwise its not deductable).
> Bence Damokos
>
> On 12/17/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello
> > A comment came from a community:
> >

> Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
> > ----
> > Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> > taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> > 2006 (UTC)
> > ----
> >
> > Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.
> >
> > On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
> > > was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
> > > everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
> > > exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
> > > thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
> > > fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
> > > http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
> > >
> > > We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
> > > translation.  Please see
> > >

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006
> > .
> > > We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
> > > translations put together.
> > >
> > > Stay tuned!
> > >
> > > -Brad

> > KIZU Naoko
> >   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
> >   * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *

Re: Fundraising update

Bence Damokos
I think having the current status display display in local currency at least
for currencies, in which you can donate might boost the donations coming
from that local wiki (eg. Euros in de,it,fr, wiki, CZK in cswiki, HUF in
huwiki...)

Bence

On 12/17/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It'd be nice if we implemented something so that on each project, it would
> check if the user is from the US or from a country where they have a
> branch
> that can do tax deductability, and then put a link to tax deductability
> info
> if they can get tax deducs.
>
> On 12/17/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> > I'm happy to put the tax deductibility link back (otherwise it follows
> the
> > original), but I found it misleading to Hungarian users, as its not
> clear
> > if
> > the tax-deductability applies in Hungary (from the help page it seems
> only
> > in the USA, and countries with a local chapter registered as a charity
> is
> > the case, and otherwise its not deductable).
> > Bence Damokos
> >
> > On 12/17/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello
> > > A comment came from a community:
> > >

> Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
> > > ----
> > > Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> > > taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> > > 2006 (UTC)
> > > ----
> > >
> > > Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.

> running!  There
> the

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006
> > > .
> some

> > > --
> > > KIZU Naoko
> > >   Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
> > >   * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *

Re: Fundraising update

Andrew Gray
On 17/12/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think having the current status display display in local currency at least
> for currencies, in which you can donate might boost the donations coming
> from that local wiki (eg. Euros in de,it,fr, wiki, CZK in cswiki, HUF in
> huwiki...)

Difficult and finicky to do, though, and doesn't deal with things like
expatriates...

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Edits_by_project_and_country_of_origin
may be worth glancing at, incidentally; it's educational how many
edits to some projects come from outside the "obvious" national area.
It doesn't translate perfectly into readership, of course, but there
are some surprising implications there - half of all edits to rowiki
seem to come from outside Romania, for example.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Fundraising update

Erik Moeller-4
On 12/17/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Our donation history is available on
> http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.

This is an excellent system. Can/do we have a top donor list?
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Re: Fundraising update

Rory Stolzenberg

> On 12/17/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Our donation history is available on
> > http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
>
> This is an excellent system. Can/do we have a top donor list?
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

We do have http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Benefactors , but that seems
to be more for major contributions in general, and something specifically
for this drive with a lower threshold would be a great idea, I think.

Re: Fundraising update

Brad Patrick-2
I think the best approach is to keep the notice, and add individual
localized information on the Deductability of Donations page, see DE and
FR comments, for example. This will prevent any confusion that may arise
about the law that applies to WMF in other countries.  I'm sorry if it
is confusing, but the notice should be there.

I hope this helps!

-Brad

Aphaia wrote:

> Hello
> A comment came from a community:
> Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
>
> ----
> Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> 2006 (UTC)
> ----
>
> Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.
>
> On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
>> was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
>> everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
>> exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
>> thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
>> fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
>> http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
>>
>> We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
>> translation.  Please see
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006.
>>
>> We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
>> translations put together.
>>
>> Stay tuned!
>>
>> -Brad

Re: Fundraising update

Damian Finol-2
Greetings,

Spanish translation is done, about the tax-dedux I translated it as "it
might be tax deductable".

Damian

Re: Fundraising update

Pedro Sanchez-2
On 12/17/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
> was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
> everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
> exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
> thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
> fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
> http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
>
> We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
> translation.  Please see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006.
> We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
> translations put together.
>
> Stay tuned!
>
> -Brad

Es: is ready to go. Minor copyedited a few minutes ago:  (Tu
puedes...) -> (¡Tú puedes...)

Re: Fundraising update

Rory Stolzenberg
On 12/17/06, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does the fundraising thermometer account offline donations as well as
> online? Also, the thermometer seems to follow some sort of scale; what is
> its "maximum capacity"?
>
> On 12/17/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > Well, after some bumps we have the fundraiser off and running!  There
> > was a bug in currency conversion reporting when we got started, but
> > everything has been tested and verified, and now the thermometer is
> > exactly right.  The good news is that the currency issue caused the
> > thermometer to *underreport* what was donated in the first day of the
> > fundraiser.  Our donation history is available on
> > http://fundraising.wikimedia.org.
> >
> > We also have our default site notice revised and in need of
> > translation.  Please see
> >

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006
> > .
> > We will go live with the new and improved sitenotice after we get some
> > translations put together.
> >
> > Stay tuned!
> >
> > -Brad

Judging from http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising_FAQ , the
thermometer seems to go up to 1.5 million (20 What happens if we reach the
1.5 million before the end of the four-week period? What happens if we don't
reach it? Would the fundraiser be extended, or end early?). I also recall
Danny saying on IRC that checks are being added tomorrow, which would mean
that offline donations are included, but I could be making that up.

Re: Fundraising update

KIZU Naoko
Thanks, Brad, for your clarification.

On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the best approach is to keep the notice, and add individual
> localized information on the Deductability of Donations page, see DE and
> FR comments, for example. This will prevent any confusion that may arise
> about the law that applies to WMF in other countries.

So how are we going to clarify it? Here we need clear criteria what to
describe and not. Currently the default link may be led to
deductability page in English and now mentions only US, Deutschland (
in German) and France ( in French). There is no other country or area
information. Some editor tried to add "no deductability in ..." in her
language, but self-reverted. Similar ideas could happen to arise in
other's mind.

- Yes, add your country information in your language to the central page !
- Eh, sorry no, we are going to say "In other countries no tax
deductability is available as of December 18, 2006" on that page
additionaly, and encourage you to their language page.

Which direction are we going? Thoughts?

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *

Re: Fundraising update

Florence Devouard-3
Aphaia wrote:

> Thanks, Brad, for your clarification.
>
> On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>I think the best approach is to keep the notice, and add individual
>>localized information on the Deductability of Donations page, see DE and
>>FR comments, for example. This will prevent any confusion that may arise
>>about the law that applies to WMF in other countries.
>

> So how are we going to clarify it? Here we need clear criteria what to
> describe and not. Currently the default link may be led to
> deductability page in English and now mentions only US, Deutschland (
> in German) and France ( in French). There is no other country or area
> information. Some editor tried to add "no deductability in ..." in her
> language, but self-reverted. Similar ideas could happen to arise in
> other's mind.

I think "her" was I in this case. It was for the swiss chapter. I
realised I was not sure it was tax deductible (yet ?). The only chapters
I am sure have tax deduc are the french and german. I know the italian
does not as it is clearly mentionned on the site. For the other ones, I
just have idea. I prefered removing the info by default.

> - Yes, add your country information in your language to the central page !
> - Eh, sorry no, we are going to say "In other countries no tax
> deductability is available as of December 18, 2006" on that page
> additionaly, and encourage you to their language page.
>
> Which direction are we going? Thoughts?
> Cheers,

An important point to mention is that the chapters are different legal
entities than the Foundation. It may be (likely it is) that the money
collected by chapters serve the exact same mission than WMF, but we can
not garantee that to donators. So, somehow, we need to make it clear
that there is a difference. So, the general idea is not

We can give in countries x, y and z and get tax deductibility. In
others, no tax deduc

The general idea is

The Foundaiton is tax deduc in the USA and no where else. If you want to
help and want some tax deduction, consider giving to the chapters, which
are different entities, but helping toward similar goals.

This does not confuse people in thinking they are giving to the same
entity, only with different bank localizations.

Ant

Re: Fundraising update

KIZU Naoko
On 12/18/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aphaia wrote:
> > Thanks, Brad, for your clarification.
> >
> > On 12/18/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>I think the best approach is to keep the notice, and add individual
> >>localized information on the Deductability of Donations page, see DE and
> >>FR comments, for example. This will prevent any confusion that may arise
> >>about the law that applies to WMF in other countries.
> >

> > So how are we going to clarify it? Here we need clear criteria what to
> > describe and not. Currently the default link may be led to
> > deductability page in English and now mentions only US, Deutschland (
> > in German) and France ( in French). There is no other country or area
> > information. Some editor tried to add "no deductability in ..." in her
> > language, but self-reverted. Similar ideas could happen to arise in
> > other's mind.
>
> I think "her" was I in this case. It was for the swiss chapter. I
> realised I was not sure it was tax deductible (yet ?). The only chapters
> I am sure have tax deduc are the french and german. I know the italian
> does not as it is clearly mentionned on the site. For the other ones, I
> just have idea. I prefered removing the info by default.

Ah, you did? No, I meant another lady. She wrote "in (her country) no
tax is deductible" and then reverted it soon. Afterwards she made her
language version to mention unavailability. Just days ago. So now I
convince more we need a criteria. Things twice happened would happen
again.

> > - Yes, add your country information in your language to the central page !
> > - Eh, sorry no, we are going to say "In other countries no tax
> > deductability is available as of December 18, 2006" on that page
> > additionaly, and encourage you to their language page.
> >
> > Which direction are we going? Thoughts?
> > Cheers,
>
> An important point to mention is that the chapters are different legal
> entities than the Foundation. It may be (likely it is) that the money
> collected by chapters serve the exact same mission than WMF, but we can
> not garantee that to donators. So, somehow, we need to make it clear
> that there is a difference. So, the general idea is not
>
> We can give in countries x, y and z and get tax deductibility. In
> others, no tax deduc
>
> The general idea is
>
> The Foundaiton is tax deduc in the USA and no where else. If you want to
> help and want some tax deduction, consider giving to the chapters, which
> are different entities, but helping toward similar goals.
>
> This does not confuse people in thinking they are giving to the same
> entity, only with different bank localizations.

/me nods.
As non-English native, I would like some English speaker make a draft
mentioning the above.

On 17/12/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> A comment came from a community:
> Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
> ----
> Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> 2006 (UTC)
> ----
>
> Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.

On the matter of Hungarian... we've been sent a copy of the entire
Fundraising FAQ translated into Hungarian by a kind user; the draft is
at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Datrio/notepad waiting for
Datrio to copy it over.

Could our Hungarian speakers glance over it and see if anything
important was missed out? Thanks!

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Fundraising update

Bence Damokos
Hi!
I've put back the tax  deductibility link, though I still think its
unnecessary as only a portion of the visitors come from the US (
http://stats.wikipedia.hu/cgi-bin/awstats.pl).

I'll have a look at the translated FAQ page.

Regards, Bence Damokos

On 12/18/06, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/12/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello
> > A comment came from a community:
> >
> Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
> > ----
> > Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> > taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> > 2006 (UTC)
> > ----
> >
> > Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.
>
> On the matter of Hungarian... we've been sent a copy of the entire
> Fundraising FAQ translated into Hungarian by a kind user; the draft is
> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Datrio/notepad waiting for
> Datrio to copy it over.
>
> Could our Hungarian speakers glance over it and see if anything
> important was missed out? Thanks!
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Re: Fundraising update

KIZU Naoko
Hello,
thank you for your help.
Yes, I agree it would be not helpful for visitors living in Hungary. I
guess however it would be useful for the visitors living in US now or
Germany or France ... In Japan, most of jawiki* visitors are in the
same situation, but according to statistics, 300,000 Japanese
nationality holders reside in the United States. Similar things could
happen in other language community?

Cheers,

On 12/19/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> I've put back the tax  deductibility link, though I still think its
> unnecessary as only a portion of the visitors come from the US (
> http://stats.wikipedia.hu/cgi-bin/awstats.pl).
>
> I'll have a look at the translated FAQ page.
>
> Regards, Bence Damokos
>
> On 12/18/06, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 17/12/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello
> > > A comment came from a community:
> > >
> > Talk:Translation_request/WMF/Fundraising_Sitenotice%28default%29/2006&rcid=484233
> > > ----
> > > Hungarian is at hu:MediaWiki:Sitenotice, the Tax-deductibility link is
> > > taken out, as it doesn't apply in Hungary.--Dami 21:12, 17 December
> > > 2006 (UTC)
> > > ----
> > >
> > > Brad, we will apprecite your comment about such localization.
> >
> > On the matter of Hungarian... we've been sent a copy of the entire
> > Fundraising FAQ translated into Hungarian by a kind user; the draft is
> > at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Datrio/notepad waiting for
> > Datrio to copy it over.
> >
> > Could our Hungarian speakers glance over it and see if anything
> > important was missed out? Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > - Andrew Gray
> >   [hidden email]

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * Nessuna poesia prima di noi *

Re: Fundraising update

Bence Damokos
Hi!
It could happen, yeah, for the US. But I don't see a way on the Fundraising
page/donation form, to choose a Chapter as the receiver of the funds, so it
really is only for US visitors (but again I have no statistics about the
readig order, first the tax bit, and after the donation form, but looking at
the incoming donations, I don't think tax-deductibility is the major reason
for donating to Wikimedia...).

Regards, Bence