Fw: [Christina Grimmie] Please provide a photo of Ms. Grimmie under a licence suitable for Wikimedia Projects ( e.g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie )

Shlomi Fish
Sent this message now. Comments are welcome, after the fact, as a way to learn
from my mistakes.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:18:33 +0300
From: Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Christina Grimmie] Please provide a photo of Ms. Grimmie under a
licence suitable for Wikimedia Projects ( e.g:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie )

Dear sirs or madams,

I am an editor of the English wikipedia and other wikimedia projects and
currently we have this page about Ms. Christina Grimmie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie

( Christina is my favourite YouTube artist, and Team Grimmie rocks! )

However, one thing lacking from there is a photograph, and I was unable to find
any good photograph of Ms. Grimmie under a suitable licence (e.g: Creative
Commons CC-by-sa, CC-by, Public Domain, etc.) on Flickr. I know some localised
wikipedias (where Ms. Grimmie also has some presence - see the translations)
require photos to be under a liberal licence).

If you, or Ms. Grimmie can provide us with a good, representable photo of her,
that would be a great gesture and a wonderful way to promote her in Wikimedia
projects and other collaborative projects such as http://wikia.com/ , and other
people and I would be incredibly grateful for that. I am not a lawyer (IANAL)
but I think that you can license a lower resolution version of the photo under a
liberal licence, and keep the original photo as "All-Rights-Reserved". It can
also be a one-off photo dedicated for Wikipedia.

Please let me know of what you think.

Best regards,

        Shlomi Fish

P.S: I realise the page about Ms. Grimmie could use more work, and is somewhat
out-of-date, but I'd like to tackle one issue at a time.

Re: Fw: [Christina Grimmie] Please provide a photo of Ms. Grimmie under a licence suitable for Wikimedia Projects ( e.g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie )

Thomas Dalton
Are you sure the person you are emailing understands what free licenses
are? I would include a short explanation and a link to a more detailed one.
On Apr 3, 2013 11:20 AM, "Shlomi Fish" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sent this message now. Comments are welcome, after the fact, as a way to
> learn
> from my mistakes.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 13:18:33 +0300
> From: Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Christina Grimmie] Please provide a photo of Ms. Grimmie under a
> licence suitable for Wikimedia Projects ( e.g:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie )
>

> Dear sirs or madams,
>
> I am an editor of the English wikipedia and other wikimedia projects and
> currently we have this page about Ms. Christina Grimmie:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie
>
> ( Christina is my favourite YouTube artist, and Team Grimmie rocks! )
>
> However, one thing lacking from there is a photograph, and I was unable to
> find
> any good photograph of Ms. Grimmie under a suitable licence (e.g: Creative
> Commons CC-by-sa, CC-by, Public Domain, etc.) on Flickr. I know some
> localised
> wikipedias (where Ms. Grimmie also has some presence - see the
> translations)
> require photos to be under a liberal licence).
>
> If you, or Ms. Grimmie can provide us with a good, representable photo of
> her,
> that would be a great gesture and a wonderful way to promote her in
> Wikimedia
> projects and other collaborative projects such as http://wikia.com/ , and
> other
> people and I would be incredibly grateful for that. I am not a lawyer
> (IANAL)
> but I think that you can license a lower resolution version of the photo
> under a
> liberal licence, and keep the original photo as "All-Rights-Reserved". It
> can
> also be a one-off photo dedicated for Wikipedia.
>
> Please let me know of what you think.
>
> Best regards,
>
>         Shlomi Fish
>
> P.S: I realise the page about Ms. Grimmie could use more work, and is
> somewhat
> out-of-date, but I'd like to tackle one issue at a time.

Re: Fw: [Christina Grimmie] Please provide a photo of Ms. Grimmie under a licence suitable for Wikimedia Projects ( e.g: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Grimmie )

Shlomi Fish
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your comment.

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:27:46 +0100
Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are you sure the person you are emailing understands what free licenses
> are? I would include a short explanation and a link to a more detailed one.

The person in question is the management E-mail of the artist in question. Not
sure if they understand it, but I was trying to keep the E-mail brief. Anyway,
hopefully they will return to me, and if they ask a question about what a free
licence and/or Creative Commons and/or etc. are all about, then I can give them
the relevant links (if you can recommend any on the Meta Wiki or wherever,
then it would be great).

But it's a good point that I (and everyone else) should keep in mind for the
future.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

P.S: I am saddened to learn that the article about another YouTube artist that
I like and admire is considered for deletion -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffany_Alvord ; there is of course
http://tiffanyalvord.wikia.com/ , but Wikia is not enough for that. Personally,
as a mostly anti-deletionist, I think that articles should be improved rather
than deleted, and the Tiffany Alvord article had a very painful history, and
Ms. Alvord is certainly notable. Guess I'll have to flame, err.. comment on the
deletion request.

P.P.S: my comment signature may unfortunately require a virtal correction
according to the first "P.S.". :-(