Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

angelina markovic
Yep, :(

FYI

CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

Front page <http://english.pravda.ru/>  / World
<http://english.pravda.ru/world/>  / Americas
<http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/>

01.11.2006    <http://english.pravda.ru/img/ar_gr.gif> Source:
<http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/01-11-2006/85315-Wikipedia%20encycl
opedia%20Wikipedi-0#>

<http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/01-11-2006/85315-Wikipedia%20encycl
opedia%20Wikipedi-0> Increase font size

<http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/01-11-2006/85315-Wikipedia%20encycl
opedia%20Wikipedi-0>
<javascript:printopen('/print/world/americas/85315-Wikipedia encyclopedia
Wikipedi-0');>
<http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/01-11-2006/85315-Wikipedia%20encycl
opedia%20Wikipedi-0#>

The U.S. intelligence community on Tuesday unveiled its own secretive
version of Wikipedia saying the popular online encyclopedia
<http://english.pravda.ru/filing/encyclopedia_/> format known for its
openness is key to the future of American espionage.

The CIA and other U.S. intelligence agencies have created a computer system
that uses software from a popular Internet encyclopedia site to gather
content on sensitive topics from analysts across the spy community, part of
an effort to fix problems that plagued prewar estimates on Iraq .
The system, dubbed Intellipedia because it is built on open-source software
from Wikipedia <http://english.pravda.ru/filing/Wikipedia/> , was launched
earlier this year. It already is being used to assemble intelligence reports
on Nigeria and other subjects, according to U.S. intelligence officials who
on Tuesday discussed the initiative in detail for the first time, Los
Angeles Times reports.

A "top secret" Intellipedia system, currently available to the 16 agencies
that make up the U.S. intelligence
<http://english.pravda.ru/filing/intelligence_/> community, has grown to
more than 28,000 pages and 3,600 registered users since its introduction on
April 17. Less restrictive versions exist for "secret" and "sensitive but
unclassified" material.

The system is also available to the Transportation Security Administration
and national laboratories <http://english.pravda.ru/filing/laboratories/> .

Intellipedia is currently being used to assemble a major intelligence
report, known as a national intelligence estimate, on Nigeria as well as the
State Department's annual country reports on terrorism, officials said.

Some day it may also be the path intelligence officials take to produce the
president's daily intelligence briefing, Reuters reports.

Source: agencies

Prepared by Alexander Timoshik
Pravda.ru

http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/01-11-2006/85315-Wikipedia%20encyclopedia%20Wikipedi-0

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

Łukasz Garczewski
angelina markovic napisał(a):
> Yep, :(

Why the sad emote?

This just goes to show that the wiki model is versatile and that
MediaWiki is a good piece of software (goot enough for the CIA at least).

Nothing to be sad about, really.

--
TOR

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

Brad Patrick
Indeed - we are proud our software is good enough to be used by spooks.

Hint: they use Linux too; does that make them evil as well?

On 11/1/06, Łukasz Garczewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> angelina markovic napisał(a):
> > Yep, :(
>
> Why the sad emote?
>
> This just goes to show that the wiki model is versatile and that
> MediaWiki is a good piece of software (goot enough for the CIA at least).
>
> Nothing to be sad about, really.
>
> --
> TOR

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

George William Herbert
On 11/1/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed - we are proud our software is good enough to be used by spooks.

I didn't see in the story if it confirmed that they're using MediaWiki.

Do you have independent confirmation?

--
-george william herbert

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

Brad Patrick
Jimmy gave a speech to the intelligence community earlier this year.
We were independently contacted by the State Department some months
ago to submit forms to allow the US Government to proceed with use of
MediaWiki.  This was the subject of some talks at Wikimania in
Cambridge this summer.

This is, in other words, not new news (at least to us).

On 11/1/06, George Herbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/1/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Indeed - we are proud our software is good enough to be used by spooks.
>

> I didn't see in the story if it confirmed that they're using MediaWiki.
>
> Do you have independent confirmation?
>

> --
> -george william herbert

Brad Patrick
General Counsel & Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]
727-231-0101

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

George William Herbert
On 11/1/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jimmy gave a speech to the intelligence community earlier this year.
> We were independently contacted by the State Department some months
> ago to submit forms to allow the US Government to proceed with use of
> MediaWiki.  This was the subject of some talks at Wikimania in
> Cambridge this summer.
>
> This is, in other words, not new news (at least to us).
>
> On 11/1/06, George Herbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 11/1/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Indeed - we are proud our software is good enough to be used by
> spooks.
> >

> > I didn't see in the story if it confirmed that they're using MediaWiki.
> >
> > Do you have independent confirmation?

Thanks for the info, for those of us who weren't able to make it to
Wikimania.

--
-george william herbert

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

phoebe ayers-3
On 11/1/06, George Herbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/1/06, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Jimmy gave a speech to the intelligence community earlier this year.
> > We were independently contacted by the State Department some months
> > ago to submit forms to allow the US Government to proceed with use of
> > MediaWiki.  This was the subject of some talks at Wikimania in
> > Cambridge this summer.
> >
> > This is, in other words, not new news (at least to us).

> > spooks.
> > >
> > > I didn't see in the story if it confirmed that they're using
> MediaWiki.
> > >
> > > Do you have independent confirmation?
>
> Thanks for the info, for those of us who weren't able to make it to
> Wikimania.

Sorry, I sent this to en-wp but missed this list:

See also Chris Bronk's talk about Wikimania this year about Diplopedia, a
pilot project within the U.S. Department of State to provide information to
diplomats and increase information sharing within the department.
http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:CB1

-- phoebe

Re: Fw: [sorabia] CIA creates computer spy system using Wikipedia's software

Gordon Joly
At 00:36 +0100 2/11/06, ¸ukasz Garczewski wrote:

>angelina markovic napisa½(a):
>>  Yep, :(
>
>Why the sad emote?
>
>This just goes to show that the wiki model is versatile and that
>MediaWiki is a good piece of software (goot enough for the CIA at least).
>
>Nothing to be sad about, really.
>
>--
>TOR

Mediawiki has some applications, such as Wikipedia, to which is suited.

However, the Commons has noted that Mediawiki may
not be the best software for the Commons
"archive". I think Mediwiki has some weakness in
the forming categories, searching and indexing.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/