Fwd: A new functionality

Nikola Smolenski-2
I thought that not all attachment types are removed...

Re: Fwd: A new functionality

Amir E. Aharoni
(You may want to view this message in a monospaced font, such as Courier.)

It can also be relevant for Hebrew poetry, such as the medieval [[Piyyut]].
Some Biblical passages are also written this way. For example, the [[Song do
Deborah]] (Judges 3) is printed in Hebrew Bibles thus:

On that day Deborah and Barak                        son of Abinoam sang
this
song:         When the princes in Israel take the lead,       when the
people
offer themselves praise the LORD!              "Hear this, you kings!
Listen,
you rulers!       I will sing to the LORD, I will sing;     I will make
music
to the LORD, the God of Israel.

And the famous passage in Ecclesiastes 3 is printed in Hebrew Bibles thus:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under
the heaven:                                                  A time
to be born,                                              and a time
to die;                                                      a time
to plant,                                                and a time
to pluck up that which is planted;                           A time
to kill,                                                 and a time
to heal;                                                     a time
to break down,                                           and a time
to build up;

etc.

In those Hebrew passages one needs to mark exactly where the longer space
should be added and it cannot be defined for all the lines. But except that
the positioning can be automatic, more or less like a center-aligned or
right-aligned tab in common word-processing software.

Currently the same display effect can be achieved using HTML tables, but it
would be better to have something more semantic.

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 07:56, Nikola Smolenski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought that not all attachment types are removed...

אמיר אלישע אהרוני
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com

"We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Fwd: A new functionality

Nikola Smolenski-2
Дана Sunday 04 October 2009 10:49:02 Amir E. Aharoni написа:

> And the famous passage in Ecclesiastes 3 is printed in Hebrew Bibles thus:
>
> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under
> the heaven:                                                  A time
> to be born,                                              and a time
> to die;                                                      a time
> to plant,                                                and a time
> to pluck up that which is planted;                           A time
> to kill,                                                 and a time
> to heal;                                                     a time
> to break down,                                           and a time
> to build up;
>
> etc.
>
> In those Hebrew passages one needs to mark exactly where the longer space
> should be added and it cannot be defined for all the lines. But except that
> the positioning can be automatic, more or less like a center-aligned or
> right-aligned tab in common word-processing software.

Perhaps the wikisyntax could be || in the middle of the line; this is the same
as in tables, therefore easy to remember, and unlikely to appear in actual
text.

I don't see what should be the actual HTML that this would produce though.

Re: Fwd: A new functionality

Neil Harris
Nikola Smolenski wrote:

> Дана Sunday 04 October 2009 10:49:02 Amir E. Aharoni написа:
>
>> And the famous passage in Ecclesiastes 3 is printed in Hebrew Bibles thus:
>>
>> To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under
>> the heaven:                                                  A time
>> to be born,                                              and a time
>> to die;                                                      a time
>> to plant,                                                and a time
>> to pluck up that which is planted;                           A time
>> to kill,                                                 and a time
>> to heal;                                                     a time
>> to break down,                                           and a time
>> to build up;
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> In those Hebrew passages one needs to mark exactly where the longer space
>> should be added and it cannot be defined for all the lines. But except that
>> the positioning can be automatic, more or less like a center-aligned or
>> right-aligned tab in common word-processing software.
>>

> Perhaps the wikisyntax could be || in the middle of the line; this is the same
> as in tables, therefore easy to remember, and unlikely to appear in actual
> text.
>
> I don't see what should be the actual HTML that this would produce though.

This is surely an ideal case for using HTML tables, since this kind of
layout is explicitly tabular.

-- Neil

Re: Fwd: A new functionality

Nikola Smolenski-2
Дана Sunday 04 October 2009 20:22:08 Neil Harris написа:
> > I don't see what should be the actual HTML that this would produce
> > though.
>
> This is surely an ideal case for using HTML tables, since this kind of
> layout is explicitly tabular.

Not really, since they don't semantically correspond. The assumption with HTML
tables is that each cell is a distinct whole and not a part of the greater
whole. I was thinking of simulating a table using spans:

Re: Fwd: A new functionality

Aryeh Gregor
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Nikola Smolenski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not really, since they don't semantically correspond. The assumption with HTML
> tables is that each cell is a distinct whole and not a part of the greater
> whole. I was thinking of simulating a table using spans:

That will fail in IE < 8.  I don't see why you couldn't do it with floats: