Fwd: [Analytics] Dropping MoodBar extension tables from all wikis

Fwd: [Analytics] Dropping MoodBar extension tables from all wikis

Dan Andreescu
Forwarding this to more research people.  In case anyone needs to do
research on moodbar, get in touch with us, those tables will be deleted
otherwise.

Re: Fwd: [Analytics] Dropping MoodBar extension tables from all wikis

Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia-4
I did some research together with Dario on whether MoodBar had a positive
effect on retention. The findings were positive and were presented at CSCW
in 2015:

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2675181&CFID=957153849&CFTOKEN=56379720
(arxiv
link here: https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.1496)

My only concern is whether somebody wanted to replicate the results of that
paper; I haven't received any such request so far. And I guess that all
those who could be possibly interested in doing so would probably be on
this list anyway. So I guess that if there is no objection I am OK with the
deletion too.

Cheers

Giovanni

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM Dan Andreescu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Forwarding this to more research people.  In case anyone needs to do
> research on moodbar, get in touch with us, those tables will be deleted
> otherwise.

> interest in Wikipedia and analytics." <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
>

> Hello!
>
> This is an FYI that ModBar extension has been undeployed and, as such, its
> tables will be removed from all wikis.  See https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T153033
>
> It looks like this extension sprang some interest in the past [1] and there
> were some research projects about it. Please let us know (before August
> 7th) whether we should keep the tables for any reason.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Nuria
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:MoodBar/First_month_of_activity

Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <http://glciampaglia.com/>   *∙*   Assistant
Research Scientist, Indiana University
SocInfo 2017 <http://socinfo2017.oii.ox.ac.uk/>   *∙*   Submit NOW
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=socinfo2017> !!!

Re: Fwd: [Analytics] Dropping MoodBar extension tables from all wikis

Jonathan Morgan
I hate the idea of deleting research data. Esp. since the Moodbar data
contains insights into new editor motivations and pain points.

Would it be possible to place historical research datasets like this on
another server, or at least in a dump file somewhere, so that they're still
available? I know we can't release the Moodbar data publicly (because it
was an open text field on the internet), but still...

- J

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did some research together with Dario on whether MoodBar had a positive
> effect on retention. The findings were positive and were presented at CSCW
> in 2015:
>
> https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2675181&CFID=957153849&CFTOKEN=56379720
> (arxiv
> link here: https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.1496)
>
> My only concern is whether somebody wanted to replicate the results of that
> paper; I haven't received any such request so far. And I guess that all
> those who could be possibly interested in doing so would probably be on
> this list anyway. So I guess that if there is no objection I am OK with the
> deletion too.
>
> Cheers
>
> Giovanni
>
> On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:16 PM Dan Andreescu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Forwarding this to more research people.  In case anyone needs to do
> > research on moodbar, get in touch with us, those tables will be deleted
> > otherwise.

> an
> > interest in Wikipedia and analytics." <[hidden email]>
> > Cc: Manuel Arostegui <[hidden email]>
> >

> > Hello!
> >
> > This is an FYI that ModBar extension has been undeployed and, as such,
> its
> > tables will be removed from all wikis.  See
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> > org/T153033
> >
> > It looks like this extension sprang some interest in the past [1] and
> there
> > were some research projects about it. Please let us know (before August
> > 7th) whether we should keep the tables for any reason.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Nuria
> >

> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:MoodBar/First_month_of_activity

> Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <http://glciampaglia.com/>   *∙*   Assistant
> Research Scientist, Indiana University
> SocInfo 2017 <http://socinfo2017.oii.ox.ac.uk/>   *∙*   Submit NOW
> <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=socinfo2017> !!!

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Fwd: [Analytics] Dropping MoodBar extension tables from all wikis

Pine W
+1 to Jonathan's comment.

Pine

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 2:14 PM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > there
> > > were some research projects about it. Please let us know (before August
> > > 7th) whether we should keep the tables for any reason.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Nuria
> > >

> > > [1]
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:MoodBar/First_
> month_of_activity

> > Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia <http://glciampaglia.com/>   *∙*   Assistant
> > Research Scientist, Indiana University
> > SocInfo 2017 <http://socinfo2017.oii.ox.ac.uk/>   *∙*   Submit NOW
> > <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=socinfo2017> !!!

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: Fwd: [Analytics] Dropping MoodBar extension tables from all wikis

Very good point Jonathan! Five years ago sentiment analysis tools were not
as good as they are now and it would be cool to see if those feedback
reports, together with the replies from the mentors, could give more
insight into the retention patterns for those cohorts. A content analysis
would be cool too.

Cheers