Fwd: [Analytics] Introducing statistics for media files

Fwd: [Analytics] Introducing statistics for media files

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Forwarding good news.

Re: [GLAM] Fwd: [Analytics] Introducing statistics for media files

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
+1 to Kerry's request its import to be able to easily access such information both a KPI for the those contributing and as a demonstrable indicator for those being asked to contribute

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 10:31, Kerry Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good news indeed! Does this include metrics for articles within a category (thinking here specifically of the categories related to GLAM content partners) or do we stick  with BaGLAMa 2 for that?

Kerry

--

Francisco Dans (él, he, )

Software Engineer, Analytics Team

Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), Never Again: Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8, UWAP, 2017.  Order here.

Re: [GLAM] Fwd: [Analytics] Introducing statistics for media files

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Replying without the public GLAM list, this is a 'behind the scenes' observation...

Though it is great that more data about downloads are available, examining the Wikimedia Commons downloads of video, audio and images, is actually disheartening for me personally as someone who has worked for years uploading media from GLAM archives. The most popular videos and audios are almost all about graphic sex, which I guess tell us what we already know about what is the most popular types of media that the public wants to consume. Sadly GLAM photographic archives and lovely upload projects like the XenoCanto birdsongs, do not make it to the first couple of pages of results. As for images, the most used are related to nationalism, as national flags are the most heavily used images, presumably because of their mass usage in templates and auto-created infoboxes on articles.

So, I guess the learning point, is that we would need to re-frame what this data means for GLAM content creators and donors rather than judging things like "impact" or "importance to open knowledge" could ever be judged by being high or low by this metric.

Thanks,
Fae

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 03:07, Mutegeki Cliff <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is very good news.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020, 05:31 Kerry Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.