Fwd: [Engineering] September Lightning Talks

Fwd: [Engineering] September Lightning Talks

Rachel Farrand
lightning talks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_talk> on Sep 22!
~ More logistic details/signups found in the email below ~

Please sign up if you would like to do a quick 10 min talk this month.

These talks will continue every month until there is no longer interest.

A youtube stream will be sent out to this list just before the talks start
so you can follow along, you can ask questions on IRC, and the talks will
also be recorded so that you can watch them whenever you like.

Re: Fwd: [Engineering] September Lightning Talks

Pine W
Would it be possible to request a lightning talk about the reasoning behind
the decision to put Flow into maintenance mode, and about the plans for the
Collaboration team's work post-Flow?

Pine
On Sep 9, 2015 11:36 AM, "Rachel Farrand" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> lightning talks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_talk> on Sep 22!
> ~ More logistic details/signups found in the email below ~
>
> Please sign up if you would like to do a quick 10 min talk this month.
>
> These talks will continue every month until there is no longer interest.
>
> A youtube stream will be sent out to this list just before the talks start
> so you can follow along, you can ask questions on IRC, and the talks will
> also be recorded so that you can watch them whenever you like.

Brion Vibber-4
I would really appreciate this as well -- the workflow stuff was AFAIK
originally supposed to be part of Flow, so from the perspective of someone
not intimately familiar with the current ongoings of the project it's all a
bit confusing to say it's being moved to maintenance mode but the team will
be working on workflows instead of on Flow...

A good user communication system to replace classic talk-page-style hacks
is probably the single most important technical project the WMF can be
working on -- it touches literally everything else.

-- brion

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to request a lightning talk about the reasoning behind
> the decision to put Flow into maintenance mode, and about the plans for the
> Collaboration team's work post-Flow?
>
> Pine
> On Sep 9, 2015 11:36 AM, "Rachel Farrand" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > lightning talks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_talk> on Sep
> 22!
> > ~ More logistic details/signups found in the email below ~
> >
> > Please sign up if you would like to do a quick 10 min talk this month.
> >
> > These talks will continue every month until there is no longer interest.
> >
> > A youtube stream will be sent out to this list just before the talks
> start
> > so you can follow along, you can ask questions on IRC, and the talks will
> > also be recorded so that you can watch them whenever you like.

Sounds like a great idea, anyone from the collaboration team willing to
take this on? Please sign up! :)

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would really appreciate this as well -- the workflow stuff was AFAIK
> originally supposed to be part of Flow, so from the perspective of someone
> not intimately familiar with the current ongoings of the project it's all a
> bit confusing to say it's being moved to maintenance mode but the team will
> be working on workflows instead of on Flow...
>
> A good user communication system to replace classic talk-page-style hacks
> is probably the single most important technical project the WMF can be
> working on -- it touches literally everything else.
>
> -- brion
>

> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to request a lightning talk about the reasoning
> behind
> > the decision to put Flow into maintenance mode, and about the plans for
> the
> > Collaboration team's work post-Flow?
> >
> > Pine
> > On Sep 9, 2015 11:36 AM, "Rachel Farrand" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > lightning talks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_talk> on Sep
> > 22!
> > > ~ More logistic details/signups found in the email below ~
> > >
> > > Please sign up if you would like to do a quick 10 min talk this month.
> > >
> > > These talks will continue every month until there is no longer
> interest.
> > >
> > > A youtube stream will be sent out to this list just before the talks
> > start
> > > so you can follow along, you can ask questions on IRC, and the talks
> will
> > > also be recorded so that you can watch them whenever you like.

Kevin Leduc
Hi Pine,

I don't think Lightning Talks are the right venue for discussing the
decision to put Flow into maintenance.  I'd like to give priority to
engineering teams who can showcase their work.  Also, I think any
discussion on Flow deserves more than 10 minutes.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it be possible to request a lightning talk about the reasoning behind
> the decision to put Flow into maintenance mode, and about the plans for the
> Collaboration team's work post-Flow?
>
> Pine
> On Sep 9, 2015 11:36 AM, "Rachel Farrand" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > lightning talks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_talk> on Sep
> 22!
> > ~ More logistic details/signups found in the email below ~
> >
> > Please sign up if you would like to do a quick 10 min talk this month.
> >
> > These talks will continue every month until there is no longer interest.
> >
> > A youtube stream will be sent out to this list just before the talks
> start
> > so you can follow along, you can ask questions on IRC, and the talks will
> > also be recorded so that you can watch them whenever you like.

Ok, how about having a detailed Flow and Collaboration presentation at the
October metrics meeting?

Pine
On Sep 9, 2015 2:47 PM, "Kevin Leduc" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pine,
>
> I don't think Lightning Talks are the right venue for discussing the
> decision to put Flow into maintenance.  I'd like to give priority to
> engineering teams who can showcase their work.  Also, I think any
> discussion on Flow deserves more than 10 minutes.
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to request a lightning talk about the reasoning
> behind
> > the decision to put Flow into maintenance mode, and about the plans for
> the
> > Collaboration team's work post-Flow?
> >
> > Pine
> > On Sep 9, 2015 11:36 AM, "Rachel Farrand" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > lightning talks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_talk> on Sep
> > 22!
> > > ~ More logistic details/signups found in the email below ~
> > >
> > > Please sign up if you would like to do a quick 10 min talk this month.
> > >
> > > These talks will continue every month until there is no longer
> interest.
> > >
> > > A youtube stream will be sent out to this list just before the talks
> > start
> > > so you can follow along, you can ask questions on IRC, and the talks
> will
> > > also be recorded so that you can watch them whenever you like.

HTTP/2 switch-on schedule for WMF sites?

Neil Harris
HTTP/2 is now either supported, or about to be supported by all major
browsers.

Most notably, HTTP/2 will be supported by Apple's iOS in version 9, due
to launch later this month, which will push HTTP/2 support to hundreds
of millions of mobile devices, which are in the best position to benefit
from HTTP/2's bandwidth utilization and latency optimizations.

Moreover, shortly after this, browser venders are likely to start to
pull support for the now-obsolete pre-standard SPDY protocol, which will
make the current SPDY support useless.

See

    http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2015/09/07/http2-115-days-with-the-rfc/

for more details.

At the moment, Wikipedia appears to support SPDY 3.1, but not yet
HTTP/2. As far as I can see, many of the major webserver infrastructure
projects now either fully support HTTP/2, or have implementations in the
works, which in general isn't too difficult, as HTTP/2 is very similar
to the last revision of SPDY.

Does anyone know if the WMF engineering team has a schedule for
deploying HTTP/2 on its sites, preferably in the near future, and if so,
what the progress is toward that goal?

Neil

Re: HTTP/2 switch-on schedule for WMF sites?

Faidon Liambotis
On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:14:27PM +0100, Neil Harris wrote:
> Does anyone know if the WMF engineering team has a schedule for
> deploying HTTP/2 on its sites, preferably in the near future, and if
> so, what the progress is toward that goal?

We have no firm schedule yet. It's mostly blocked on upstream work. You
can follow the progress on the relevant task on Phabricator,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96848.

Regards,
Faidon

On 10/09/15 21:26, Faidon Liambotis wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 09:14:27PM +0100, Neil Harris wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the WMF engineering team has a schedule for
>> deploying HTTP/2 on its sites, preferably in the near future, and if
>> so, what the progress is toward that goal?
> We have no firm schedule yet. It's mostly blocked on upstream work. You
> can follow the progress on the relevant task on Phabricator,
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T96848.
>
> Regards,
> Faidon

Many thanks.