Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

Gary Kirk
I hope none of you are expecting me to be representative for our
<s>joke</s> bid. If I can find a PC I might drop in lurk.
Seriously, why did nobody withdraw us? Now we look even more stupid.
Karlsruhe had an unfortunate hand in their conference venue being
unavailable, but they were dignified and bowed out. What's special
about us that we didn't?
You might not care what I think, but I'll tell you: I'm disappointed
for the chapter and for the UK.

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

geni
On 23/09/2007, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope none of you are expecting me to be representative for our
> <s>joke</s> bid. If I can find a PC I might drop in lurk.
> Seriously, why did nobody withdraw us? Now we look even more stupid.
> Karlsruhe had an unfortunate hand in their conference venue being
> unavailable, but they were dignified and bowed out. What's special
> about us that we didn't?

Probably because no one felt they had the authority to do so. Given
your statement and the unlikely hood of anyone else getting involved.
I've made this edit:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimania_2008/Bids&diff=683627&oldid=678250

--
geni

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

Rob Church
On 23/09/2007, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hope none of you are expecting me to be representative for our
> <s>joke</s> bid. If I can find a PC I might drop in lurk.

I don't think anyone's expecting you to do anything more than you've
already done, especially those of us who stood at the sides
commentating, but did sweet F.A. of actual use.

> Seriously, why did nobody withdraw us? Now we look even more stupid.
> Karlsruhe had an unfortunate hand in their conference venue being
> unavailable, but they were dignified and bowed out. What's special
> about us that we didn't?

We're British and we don't like to admit defeat, despite the fact that
we routinely lose the World Cup and can't keep the Ashes? :P

Seriously; I'd agree with Geni's later remark - nobody felt they had
the right to effectively discard quite a bit of hard work.

> You might not care what I think, but I'll tell you: I'm disappointed
> for the chapter and for the UK.

It's disappointing that we can't organise something, but to be fair,
I'm not sure I saw a great deal of chapter involvement - although this
is understandable given the disappointment last year.

Perhaps we should strive for an easier target, like a piss-up in a
brewery, or something.

Rob Church

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

Thomas Dalton
> Perhaps we should strive for an easier target, like a piss-up in a
> brewery, or something.

Anyone know any good breweries in B'ham? I'm sure we can move the
planned meet to one.

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

geni
> > Perhaps we should strive for an easier target, like a piss-up in a
> > brewery, or something.
>
> Anyone know any good breweries in B'ham? I'm sure we can move the
> planned meet to one.

Tricky problem is that idealy we need to be fairly close to a station
(probably Birmingham New Street).

Meetup looks like it's going to be about 2 end some hours later. need
more comments though.

--
geni

On 23/09/2007, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/09/2007, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Perhaps we should strive for an easier target, like a piss-up in a
> > > brewery, or something.
> >
> > Anyone know any good breweries in B'ham? I'm sure we can move the
> > planned meet to one.
>
> Tricky problem is that idealy we need to be fairly close to a station
> (probably Birmingham New Street).
>
> Meetup looks like it's going to be about 2 end some hours later. need
> more comments though.

I think we can make do with a bar - there should be plenty around the
station. Somewhere that does reasonably priced food, ideally. Is there
a Weatherspoons or similar in the area?

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

James Farrar

> I think we can make do with a bar - there should be plenty around the
> station. Somewhere that does reasonably priced food, ideally. Is there
> a Weatherspoons or similar in the area?

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml?l=b2+4nd

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/18/1815/Briar_Rose/Birmingham
appears to be the nearest JDW to New Street.

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

geni

> > > Anyone know any good breweries in B'ham? I'm sure we can move the
> > > planned meet to one.
> >
> > Tricky problem is that idealy we need to be fairly close to a station
> > (probably Birmingham New Street).
> >
> > Meetup looks like it's going to be about 2 end some hours later. need
> > more comments though.
>
> I think we can make do with a bar - there should be plenty around the
> station. Somewhere that does reasonably priced food, ideally. Is there
> a Weatherspoons or similar in the area?

It currently appears to be an afternoon meetup and if people are
driveing sepending entire afternoon/evening in a pub may not be ideal.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 - Public Meeting - Reminder

Majorly

This needs to be on the meetup page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Birmingham 2, not here.

--
Alex (Majorly)