[Fwd: Fwd: RfC: Wikimedia Foundation Research Goals]

[Fwd: Fwd: RfC: Wikimedia Foundation Research Goals]

Sue Gardner-2
Erik & I had a good meeting last week with the MacArthur Foundation, who
reiterated their interest in funding research related to Wikipedia and
the other Wikimedia projects. Their primary interest is in developing a
better understanding of the Wikipedia audience (readers), but I believe
they are potentially interested in research into the contributor
community as well.

Our research goals & interests are laid out here

 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Research_Goals

It's a pretty full list, but not an exhaustive one. We'd encourage
anyone who wants to conduct research into the Wikimedia projects to
approach MacArthur for funding, and/or talk to us.

Thanks,
Sue

From: Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>
Date: Apr 7, 2008 4:02 PM
Subject: RfC: Wikimedia Foundation Research Goals

Sue & I have drafted a set of research goals that the Wikimedia
 Foundation supports. The purpose of the document is to have something
 we can point researchers, universities, foundations, and other third
 parties to when they ask us: So, what kind of research are you
 interested in? Will you support/endorse my research proposal X? In
 most cases, we will not actively pursue these goals directly -- we'll
 just try to facilitate & endorse research by third parties.

 These research goals need to line up with our overall organizational
 goals to make sense, so we've tried to map research goals to
 organizational goals.

 In light of this constraint, please do feel free to make revisions, or
 to suggest changes on the discussion page:

 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Research_Goals

 It's still a draft looked at by only two people - so we do expect it
 to be incomplete. :-)

 (BTW - I'm aware that some chapters are pursuing a research agenda on
 their own: This is great, and these Foundation goals are in no way
 meant to be prescriptive for chapters.)

--
 Erik Möller
 Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Sue Gardner
Executive Director
Wikimedia Foundation

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Re: [Fwd: Fwd: RfC: Wikimedia Foundation Research Goals]

Han-Teng Liao (OII)
Dear Ms. Sue Gardner,

    I am very interested since my DPhil  project is on Chinese Wikipedia.  Could you help by suggesting how I could initiate any conversations?

Han-Teng Liao (OII) wrote:

> Dear Ms. Sue Gardner,
>
>     I am very interested since my DPhil  project is on Chinese
> Wikipedia.  Could you help by suggesting how I could initiate any
> conversations?
>
> --
> *Liao <http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E5%BB%96>,Han
> <http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E6%BC%A2>-Teng
> <http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E9%A8%B0>*
> DPhil student at the OII <http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/about/>(web)
> needs you <http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/>(blog)
Sure.  I would suggest you get in touch with Kathy Im, director of the
MacArthur General program.
http://www.macfound.org/site/c.lkLXJ8MQKrH/b.937447/k.F9/Kathy_K_Im.htm

Good luck :-)