Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

1234 ... 10

Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

CherianTinu Abraham
FYI

Regards
Tinu Cherian

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Steven Walling
On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Surely I'm not the only one who noticed this lovely gem of a photo of the day today. In my work environment - NFWS.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Direct link to image:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg

I mean really? /facepalm

This is the kind of imagery I have no desire to see on the front page of Commons. I'm a very liberal person, but, this makes me not want to even allow my MOTHER to use Commons.

#wikilove,

Sarah

I feel exactly the same way. This is an insult to the people who value the educational spirit of Commons.

I attempted to argue that the image didn't meet the featured criteria of Commons, but was drowned out by voters such as the one who argued without irony, "{{Support}} I like her big tits".

Whether or not Commons should host such images is really a separate argument than whether we want to feature topless anime as the best of the content we have.

Steven

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

arablue99
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Walter Siegmund
I agree that this selection does not further our goals of increasing
female participation in Wikimedia projects. Thanks to Sarah for
speaking.

Regards,
Walter

On May 15, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Steven Walling wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Surely I'm not the only one who noticed this lovely gem of a photo
> of the day today. In my work environment - NFWS.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Direct link to image:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg
>
> I mean really? /facepalm
>
> This is the kind of imagery I have no desire to see on the front
> page of Commons. I'm a very liberal person, but, this makes me not
> want to even allow my MOTHER to use Commons.
>
> #wikilove,
>
> Sarah
>
> I feel exactly the same way. This is an insult to the people who
> value the educational spirit of Commons.
>
> I attempted to argue that the image didn't meet the featured
> criteria of Commons, but was drowned out by voters such as the one
> who argued without irony, "{{Support}} I like her big tits".
>
> Whether or not Commons should host such images is really a separate
> argument than whether we want to feature topless anime as the best
> of the content we have.
>
> Steven

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

geni
On 16 May 2011 03:53, Aaron Adrignola <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Commons is not censored.

However most projects are mature enough to establish quiet lists of
featured content that will not make it to the main page.

>It's a beautiful scene and it would be expected
> that the an imaginary tribal member would not have the American
> sensitivities to toplessness.

An imaginary tribal member who's skin and hair colour are almost
exclusively limited to northern latitudes where such clothing would be
considered impractical. I'm sorry but I think the national geographic
secured exclusive rights to that argument some years ago.

There is not in any case any need to bring purely american standards into this.

>Some images may offend.  Some articles may
> offend.  We're not going to compromise our core values just to try to close
> a "gap" that some feel is such a big issue, if it even exists.

1)It does exist. Denial is not a helpful response

2)not putting certain images on the main page doesn't impact our
values on way or the other.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Jon Davis-5
Deep sigh.

I'm all for keeping commons from being censored.  I'm all for keeping all the Wikimedia projects from being censored... but on the front page? Seriously?

It has nothing to do with censorship and mostly to do with usability.  You can go to Commons or Wikipedia AT WORK, AT SCHOOL or WITH KIDS PRESENT and avoid anything pornographic in nature by simply applying a small ounce of intelligence (IE don't search for "tit fucking").  We can keep the crazy censorship away if we, the commoners, apply some basic sense with these things.  If we can't even do that, what school or work place is going to allow the use of Commons or Wikipedia?

Why use the free image repository of Commons if you can't avoid nudity, even if you want to? Might as well use flickr because at least they've got a check box for 18+ material.

-Jon

PS. I think this is a nice picture and have nothing against it.  It's well done and a great example of work that can be done with open source tools.  I just wont be going to Common at work today....

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 19:31, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI

Regards
Tinu Cherian

Surely I'm not the only one who noticed this lovely gem of a photo of the day today. In my work environment - NFWS.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Direct link to image:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg

I mean really? /facepalm

This is the kind of imagery I have no desire to see on the front page of Commons. I'm a very liberal person, but, this makes me not want to even allow my MOTHER to use Commons.

#wikilove,

Sarah

--
Wikipedia Regional Ambassador, D.C. Region
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American Art

Sarah Stierch Consulting
Historical, cultural & artistic research, advising & event planning.

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ
http://snowulf.com/
http://ipv6wiki.net/

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on WikimediaCommons

User:Htm
(Are those henna tattoos?) The picture is ok.

>I agree that this selection does not further our goals of increasing
> female participation in Wikimedia projects. Thanks to Sarah for
> speaking.
>
> Regards,
> Walter
>

> On May 15, 2011, at 7:48 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 7:31 PM, CherianTinu Abraham
>> <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>> Surely I'm not the only one who noticed this lovely gem of a photo
>> of the day today. In my work environment - NFWS.
>>
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>> Direct link to image:
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg
>>
>> I mean really? /facepalm
>>
>> This is the kind of imagery I have no desire to see on the front
>> page of Commons. I'm a very liberal person, but, this makes me not
>> want to even allow my MOTHER to use Commons.
>>
>> #wikilove,
>>
>> Sarah
>>
>> I feel exactly the same way. This is an insult to the people who
>> value the educational spirit of Commons.
>>
>> I attempted to argue that the image didn't meet the featured
>> criteria of Commons, but was drowned out by voters such as the one
>> who argued without irony, "{{Support}} I like her big tits".
>>
>> Whether or not Commons should host such images is really a separate
>> argument than whether we want to feature topless anime as the best
>> of the content we have.
>>
>> Steven

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Ryan Kaldari-2
So you're arguing that the woman is topless in order to conform to realistic portrayals of indigenous people? That's the biggest pile of bullshit I've heard in years.

Every few months one of the usual suspects nominates porn to be featured on Commons and we have to go through the same circus-show all over again. It's always porn for a male heterosexual audience, and it's always defended with cries against the evils of censorship and disingenuous arguments about the "educational value" of the image. I'm all for Commons hosting a wide array of uncensored images, but I'm tired of seeing the Main Page being used as a fap gallery for fanboys. Whether you agree with it or not, featuring such images is distasteful to a lot of people - and not necessarily because they are "prudish" or "religious". I don't see how exercising editorial judgement about our public image and being respectful of women is "compromising our core values". Driving people away from the site and eroding our reputation as a serious educational resource do nothing to improve the project. If you want to fight against censorship, help defend the "Rape", "Rape statistics", and "False accusation of rape" articles against antimisandry.com. Or better yet, file a DMCA counter-notice to restore the links in the "Texas Instruments signing key controversy" article. For some reason people don't seem as concerned about the real incidents of censorship on our projects.

Ryan Kaldari

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:53 AM, Aaron Adrignola <[hidden email]> wrote:
Commons is not censored.  It's a beautiful scene and it would be expected that the an imaginary tribal member would not have the American sensitivities to toplessness.  Some images may offend.  Some articles may offend.  We're not going to compromise our core values just to try to close a "gap" that some feel is such a big issue, if it even exists.

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI

Regards
Tinu Cherian

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Pedro Sanchez-2
On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So you're arguing that the woman is topless in order to conform to realistic
> portrayals of indigenous people? That's the biggest pile of bullshit I've
> heard in years.
>(...)

Many of us are annoyed by such featuring.
This is not about "content being hosted" we all agree that sexual
images belong to commons, this is about main page.

But beyond that, what could we do in order to prevent it?

Create a policy that forbids sexual images being featured?
Have the Foundation pass a resolution?
Talk it on the pump?

Or perhaps, getting more people involved on the community selection process.

Other ideas?

--
Pedro Sánchez
http://drini.mx

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Sarah Stierch
Thanks Steven - I appreciate that you fought the good fight and I'm disgusted that comments about T&A were some of the key reasons for this feature.

While I've seen my fair share of anime videos (Tentacles and all that involves) - It was an epic fail when I was looking up an image with my 65 year old father and that was the image on the front page. The first question he asks is: "This is the organization you volunteer for?"

Images like this have their place, and despite the artistic skill of the contributor it is really disappointing that this was chosen to showcase quality media on Commons. it sets back the work of those of us working towards broadening gender equality and female involvement in Wikimedia.

I also am proud of my new title of being a Regional Ambassador and I am working towards becoming a GLAM Ambassador - images like this being showcased do 'few wonders' for my efforts in regards to fighting the uphill battle to show Wikipedia, Commons, etc. as reliable and quality starting points for research, development and cultural dissemination.

#wikilove,

Sarah

On 5/15/2011 10:48 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
[...]

phoebe ayers-3
Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@...> writes:
> Many of us are annoyed by such featuring.

I also had a face-palm moment when I saw this image -- mostly because, out of
all of the tens of thousands of superb illustrations and photographs we have,
this is the best we can do?

This piece does not seem to be educational in nature (and I don't mean "an
education in how to use Inkscape"), and it is fairly poor art in all ways except
technical proficiency with the tools used to create it. I think it would be more
appreciated and more appropriate on one of the many sites designed for hosting
amateur art; and we would do a better job of fulfilling our own particular
mission by highlighting some of the unquestionably stunning and important works
of art in our collection, of which there are many (for instance, we have
paintings by Dürer and Cezanne that aren't yet featured).

> Or perhaps, getting more people involved on the community selection process.

This seems like a good plan. But I have a question for Commonistas:
where? I was looking for the page where the "picture of the day" is discussed
and chosen, and I can't find it. Can someone explain how this process works?

best,
Phoebe

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons + Indigenous + Gender

Sarah Stierch
Hi Aaron and everyone,

This is a really painful thing for me to read. As a scholar, my research work has been based around the representation of Indigenous peoples of North America in media and culture. I sincerely doubt that any of the "tribal members" I know would say that this is a valid work that would showcase their Indigenous cultures as anything but another stereotype. Just as I'm sure some women of Tahiti today would question the relevance today of Gauguin's paintings which often showcased nude or partially nude Tahitian women - art revered by both genders and the Western art world. However, I'm not seeking to speak on behalf of these individuals and communities, nor am I hear to discuss the creators goal or context with this featured image. It's more of the fact that this is considered a choice for the featured front page and the concern that it has given me as a female contributor to Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, etc.

You also stated that you do not want to compromise "our core values just to try to close a "gap" that some feel is such a big issue, if it even exists."

This gap does exist, in fact an entire mailing list (which I have cc'd here and I encourage anyone interested in the topic to join) was created to work towards bridging this gap. This was triggered by an article titled "Define Gender Gap? Look Up Wikipedia's Contributor List" by Noam Cohen, published Jan 30 2011 in The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/business/media/31link.html

A great and interesting conversation took place by NYT to reflect on this situation, which you can read here:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/02/02/where-are-the-women-in-wikipedia

I do hope that perhaps those two articles can show you that there is a problem, and there are many concerned Wikipedians of all genders, skin tones, and identities aiming to change that. That is when images like this deter us from our expansive mission to be more inclusive.

And this has nothing to do with me being "sensitive to toplessness" - you don't know anything about my lifestyle or character to assume that, regardless of where I live or where I was born.

#wikilove,

Sarah

On 5/15/2011 10:53 PM, Aaron Adrignola wrote:
Commons is not censored.  It's a beautiful scene and it would be expected that the an imaginary tribal member would not have the American sensitivities to toplessness.  Some images may offend.  Some articles may offend.  We're not going to compromise our core values just to try to close a "gap" that some feel is such a big issue, if it even exists.

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI

Regards
Tinu Cherian

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Sarah Stierch
Hi Jon - thanks for chiming in,

On 5/15/2011 11:04 PM, Jon Davis wrote:
Deep sigh.

I'm all for keeping commons from being censored.  I'm all for keeping all the Wikimedia projects from being censored... but on the front page? Seriously?

It has nothing to do with censorship and mostly to do with usability.  You can go to Commons or Wikipedia AT WORK, AT SCHOOL or WITH KIDS PRESENT and avoid anything pornographic in nature by simply applying a small ounce of intelligence (IE don't search for "tit fucking").  We can keep the crazy censorship away if we, the commoners, apply some basic sense with these things.  If we can't even do that, what school or work place is going to allow the use of Commons or Wikipedia?

This is one of my other concerns. As I've stated in another message - we are an organization that is working closely with institutions such as The Children's Museum of Indianapolis - this is a collaboration that features their Wikipedian-in-Residence, Lori, working with TEENAGERS to write articles about objects in the museum. This includes the students using images donated by the museum which exist in Commons. I'd love to be the museum staffer that has to sit over Lori's and her MAP (Museum Apprentice Program)'s shoulder and say 'Oh Bobby/Julie, search for the Reuben Wells pictures on Commons" and open up the Commons page to a big breasted CARTOON DRAWING of an Asian woman, at a Children's Museum.

In the immortal world of outdated memes: "EPIC FAIL"

Sarah

Wikipedia Regional Ambassador, D.C. Region
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American Art
--
Sarah Stierch Consulting
Historical, cultural & artistic research, advising & event planning.

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Huib Laurens
Phoebe,

Its not discussed..

The process is very simple. You add a picture for Featured pictures if it makes the vote and become featured picture you or anybody can just add it to be a POTD there is no process there anymore. Just add and wait.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_day/Instructions

Best,

Huib

2011/5/16 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@...> writes:
> Many of us are annoyed by such featuring.

I also had a face-palm moment when I saw this image -- mostly because, out of
all of the tens of thousands of superb illustrations and photographs we have,
this is the best we can do?

This piece does not seem to be educational in nature (and I don't mean "an
education in how to use Inkscape"), and it is fairly poor art in all ways except
technical proficiency with the tools used to create it. I think it would be more
appreciated and more appropriate on one of the many sites designed for hosting
amateur art; and we would do a better job of fulfilling our own particular
mission by highlighting some of the unquestionably stunning and important works
of art in our collection, of which there are many (for instance, we have
paintings by Dürer and Cezanne that aren't yet featured).

> Or perhaps, getting more people involved on the community selection process.

This seems like a good plan. But I have a question for Commonistas:
where? I was looking for the page where the "picture of the day" is discussed
and chosen, and I can't find it. Can someone explain how this process works?

best,
Phoebe

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Ryan Kaldari-2
The place where the debates occur is http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Featured_picture_candidates. After an image is promoted from there, anyone can put it on the Main Page at any time (as explained by Huib). I think having more people involved in the FPC process would be great.

Ryan Kaldari

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Phoebe,

Its not discussed..

The process is very simple. You add a picture for Featured pictures if it makes the vote and become featured picture you or anybody can just add it to be a POTD there is no process there anymore. Just add and wait.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_day/Instructions

Best,

Huib

2011/5/16 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>
Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@...> writes:
> Many of us are annoyed by such featuring.

I also had a face-palm moment when I saw this image -- mostly because, out of
all of the tens of thousands of superb illustrations and photographs we have,
this is the best we can do?

This piece does not seem to be educational in nature (and I don't mean "an
education in how to use Inkscape"), and it is fairly poor art in all ways except
technical proficiency with the tools used to create it. I think it would be more
appreciated and more appropriate on one of the many sites designed for hosting
amateur art; and we would do a better job of fulfilling our own particular
mission by highlighting some of the unquestionably stunning and important works
of art in our collection, of which there are many (for instance, we have
paintings by Dürer and Cezanne that aren't yet featured).

> Or perhaps, getting more people involved on the community selection process.

This seems like a good plan. But I have a question for Commonistas:
where? I was looking for the page where the "picture of the day" is discussed
and chosen, and I can't find it. Can someone explain how this process works?

best,
Phoebe

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Neil Kandalgaonkar
I changed the picture. I'd like to note that I did this not owing to any
'authority' I might have as a WMF employee, just as a regular person
associated with Commons.

I did not know what to do with the translated captions, so I blanked
them out without deleting them. (The only language I know aside from
English is French and even then I'm likely to make some grammatical
mistakes.) If the proper thing to do is to delete them, please let me know.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(cs)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(de)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(es)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(fr)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(ja)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(nl)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(uk)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(zh-hans)

On 5/16/11 6:43 AM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> I'm
> all for Commons hosting a wide array of uncensored images, but I'm tired
> of seeing the Main Page being used as a fap gallery for fanboys.

+1

>  For some reason people don't seem as concerned
> about the real incidents of censorship on our projects.

+1000

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar  |) <[hidden email]>

On 5/16/11 8:35 AM, phoebe ayers wrote:

> This seems like a good plan. But I have a question for Commonistas:
> where? I was looking for the page where the "picture of the day" is discussed
> and chosen, and I can't find it. Can someone explain how this process works?

People just create the templates, in advance. As others have pointed out
it's possible to browse ahead to see what's "scheduled".

Here's the history for 2011-05-16, along with my tendentious commentary
when I changed it. ;)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Potd/2011-05-16&action=history

On May 16, 2011, at 12:13 AM, Neil Kandalgaonkar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I changed the picture. I'd like to note that I did this not owing to any
> 'authority' I might have as a WMF employee, just as a regular person
> associated with Commons.

+<3!!

-Sarah

Sent via iPhone - I apologize in advance for my shortness or errors! :)

> I did not know what to do with the translated captions, so I blanked
> them out without deleting them. (The only language I know aside from
> English is French and even then I'm likely to make some grammatical
> mistakes.) If the proper thing to do is to delete them, please let me know.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(cs)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(de)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(es)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(fr)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(ja)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(nl)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(uk)
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Potd/2011-05-16_(zh-hans)
>

> On 5/16/11 6:43 AM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
>> I'm
>> all for Commons hosting a wide array of uncensored images, but I'm tired
>> of seeing the Main Page being used as a fap gallery for fanboys.
>
> +1
>
>> For some reason people don't seem as concerned
>> about the real incidents of censorship on our projects.
>
> +1000
>

> --
> Neil Kandalgaonkar  |) <[hidden email]>

Re: Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Ole Palnatoke Andersen
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Neil Kandalgaonkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I changed the picture.

So now we have a half-nude male instead of a half-nude female. Oh well. :-)

--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

On 5/16/11 9:33 AM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Neil Kandalgaonkar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I changed the picture.
>
> So now we have a half-nude male instead of a half-nude female. Oh well. :-)

That was deliberate. Actually if I could have found an actual half-nude
or tribal female in an educational context I would have used that, just
to make the point. I also went looking for some surreal or erotic images
that I thought could have been justifiable (like, say, a panel from Max
Ernst's Une Semaine de Bonté). But I didn't come across any such images
on Commons with a few minutes of searching.

To tell you the truth, personally, I was less offended by the
toplessness than the tastelessness. Fan art, particular fan anime art,
walks a pretty fine line. If the execution or concept is lackluster it
just degenerates into crude prurient interest.

It's possible to make erotic images in this genre that are worth
defending, even as candidates for the Main Page, but this certainly
wasn't one of them, IMHO.