Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Anirudh S. Bhati
FYI.

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Noopur-2
Dear Anirudh,
We have already forwarded this to our relevant Wiki loves monuments list just to avoid flooding this one. Here is the list address: [hidden email]
Just passing it for your information so that we can have more focused discussions there.
Thanks!
Noopur

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Anirudh Bhati <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI.

[...]

Noopur Raval
Student
Arts and Aesthetics
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Ph: 9650567690

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Anirudh S. Bhati
Noopur,

This is a major development and should be of interest to those who are
outside of the wlm-in mailing list.  Thanks.

anirudh

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> contest, lists and communications.
>>
>> == Join the team and get started! ==
>> If you want to know more, feel free to leave a
>>
>> message[http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2012]
>> or send us an email. But make sure to get started now if you're
>> interested - because some parts of the work just require quite some
>> time since external parties are involved. We would be delighted to
>> help you out in any way possible to pull off this event.
>>
>> Best,
>> Lodewijk
>> (on behalf of the international coordinating team)

> Noopur Raval
> Student
> Arts and Aesthetics
> Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
> Ph: 9650567690

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Srikanth Lakshmanan

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:33, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have already forwarded this to our relevant Wiki loves monuments list just to avoid flooding this one. Here is the list address: [hidden email]

Is there a reason the archives should to be private?

--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Pradeep Mohandas
hi,

Re: WLM-In
The status of the archives has not been discussed yet. In fact, we're yet to move on this at all. So, not much has happened in terms of discussion on this list. As of now, I see no point in keeping the archives private. In the future, it might be depending on how comfortable people are with discussions there.

The GLAM taskforce within the Chapter has been sought advice on this. I, personally, would like this to be discussed on the members list (the part relating to the chapter's involvement) since the taskforce is still finding its feet. The rest of the community is also invivted.

warm regards,
Pradeep

How Pradeep uses email - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Noopur-2
Not really but when Lodewijk offered to create this list, we had a couple of concerns like communicating with organizations and exploring possibilities of partnership (because WLM participants have done that in the past). So, I wasn't sure if these conversations should be public.
However, now that we have substantial number of people on the list, we could just take a vote and figure out the best combination.
Regards
Noopur

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:33, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have already forwarded this to our relevant Wiki loves monuments list just to avoid flooding this one. Here is the list address: [hidden email]

Is there a reason the archives should to be private?

--
Regards
Srikanth.L

Noopur Raval
Student
Arts and Aesthetics
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Ph: 9650567690

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Pradeep Mohandas
hi,

Going off on a tangent - the main concern now vis-a-vis the Indian Wiki Loves Monuments is that we don't have a good list of Monuments in India as of now. Any help pointing to a list of monuments would be great.

warm regards,
User:Prad2609

Re: Fwd: [Internal-l] Wiki Loves Monuments - will your country participate?

Lodewijk
Heya all,

glad to see this discussion happening! It means people care, and caring people is good! The list is there of course for your needs. We just set it up as a copy of the Dutch list, but you can make any adjustments to it that mailman will allow. Also, right now I'm admin, and I would also be happy to expand that to someone else - but maybe that is for later.

The list is mainly intended to make your life easier. In NL we indeed chose to keep private archives but open subscription - that way keeping it out of google, but anyone who wanted to join discussion could just do so and see the archive. That was like Noopur explained indeed mainly to avoid that discussions about partners end up on a private mail with many people in cc. So yeah, there are reasons - but it is up to you as a team to decide whether you want to maintain the status quo :)

Best,

Lodewijk

No dia 16 de Março de 2012 07:48, Noopur <[hidden email]> escreveu:
[...]

Dear Pradeep,
I think you suggested INTACH, so I followed it up. Have sent them a mail and was searching thru their listings. A few cities do have comprehensive listing so we can expand our own list. Could I suggest that we start a list on our Wiki somewhere? That way we can draw upon sources and make our own big list.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Going through the Timeline for Wiki Loves Monuments 2012[1], I sent a mail to Lodewijk for what they meant by "start a heritage project on your local wikipedia and analyse if the community wants to join your project". To which he sent these two WikiProjects as examples[2][3]. I went to search for similar WikiProjects in India and since User:AshLin was around on chat, I asked him for help. He provided me this list of helpful projects under WikiProject India[4].

Since this was a picture related project, User:AshLin did not want to burden them on any of the "pure article based departments".

This is the condition so far. The only group that has the closest connection to the Wiki Loves Monuments is the Indian history workgroup[5]. As a hack for User:AshLin's concern, I suggested that the Photography department[6] of WP:India be given the role and that it work with the Indian history workgroup in this particular case. This work was supposed to be done in February, but hopefully we can do it now.

Going back to Noopur's email, once the Indian history workgroup is okay, we can seek their help in putting together the list of Monuments. I also wonder if INTACH can be involved as an institutional partner, but that comes much later, I guess. Wikipedia first.

I would love to hear any alternatives to this idea of taking Wiki Loves Monuments or would love to see a discussion on the talk pages of this group to their perception on Wiki Loves Monuments and if they'll be interested in being involved. Any help is welcome!

warm regards,
[6] -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_India/Photography
On 16 March 2012 13:12, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ashwin Baindur
Accurately put, Pradeep. I would like to add that chances are there is no authoritative and complete list of monuments outside the Archaeological Survey of India which has its HQ in New Delhi. We may need to co-opt them to get details of what they list as monuments and heritage buildings throughout the country. We should be prepared to hack our own state/district/city lists in the meantime and keep updating them as we come across new information. Reliable information on this issue is scarce.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Also hope the Indic languages will also participate and improve articles on the monument of their states and those of national importance.

User:prad2609
Handheld