Fwd: Publishing Open Access... Only.

Everton Zanella Alvarenga
Interesting.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alex Leavitt <[hidden email]>
Date: 2013/1/22
Subject: [FC-discuss] Publishing Open Access... Only.
To: Discussion of Free Culture in general and this organization in
particular <[hidden email]>

Hey everyone,

Today I've made an important personal announcement: I've decided to
only publish in open-access academic publications. Even after years of
being in this group, it was still difficult to come to this decision,
but I'm glad I've finally reached it. You can, and I encourage you to,
read more about my thoughts here -- http://alexleavitt.com/oa/ -- and
if you feel inclined, please share it with colleagues and your
respective networks.

Thanks,
Alex

---

Alexander Leavitt
PhD Student
USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
http://alexleavitt.com
Twitter: @alexleavitt

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
Open Knowledge Foundation Brasil
Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
http://br.okfn.org

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more

Re: Fwd: Publishing Open Access... Only.

Jane Darnell
Everton,
Um yes, this is interesting, but what does it mean practically? I
noticed Harvard also said it wants to save 3.75 million dollars
annually by cancelling its academic journal subscriptions. But what
are the ramifications? How do you academically "publish" for open
access? I love Wikipedia, but Wikipedia pages will never fill the same
purpose as articles in academic journals. There needs to be a place
like Wikisource where one can "publish" open access publications after
some sort of peer review or general editting process, so that students
(and their professors) can use these in the way they use academic
books today.

Or am I thinking too much from the academic standpoint and do we
really need to "turn education upside down" and teach our children in
the "Khan academy" way?

Jane

2013/1/22, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <[hidden email]>:

> Interesting.

Jodi Schneider-3
There are numerous open access publications. A partial directory is provided by DOAJ - the Directory of Open Access Journals:

In many fields (particularly health/life sciences) publishing open access is the established norm.

-Jodi