[Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

[Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

Alison M. Wheeler
(ignore previous mail - sent in error)

On Wed, January 16, 2008 11:13, Kaihsu Tai wrote:
> It has been more than a month and I still do not know
> whether I am a (Guarantor) Member of Wikimedia UK or not....
> :(
> Sorry for being pushy.

Only six days ago, on the 10th, I wrote
"we're just trying to fix a date for the Directors to meet to make that
all happen.

I'm really hoping this time that we shall have some good news for you all
waiting patiently in the next month or so."

Clearly, as I haven't posted since then that we've had a meeting (we
haven't: David and Paul are calculating a date they can both make as
Arkady and myself are much easier to schedule) nothing has moved on since
that mail of last week. When it does I will be pretty ecstatic to let you
all know!

One thing I would add, by the way. Just as being an Admin on a Wikimedia
project is "no big deal" and confers no special status or qualities on
someone, nor does being a member of Wikimedia UK, other than the knowledge
you are helping to support the growth of WM projects and the creation and
expansion of free knowledge. It isn't a 'badge of honour' that we expect
people to add to résumés or such.

Alison
for WMUK

Re: [Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

Gordon Joly
At 12:42 +0000 16/1/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>(ignore previous mail - sent in error)
>
>On Wed, January 16, 2008 11:13, Kaihsu Tai wrote:
>>  It has been more than a month and I still do not know
>>  whether I am a (Guarantor) Member of Wikimedia UK or not....
>>  :(
>>  Sorry for being pushy.
>
>Only six days ago, on the 10th, I wrote
>"we're just trying to fix a date for the Directors to meet to make that
>all happen.
>
>I'm really hoping this time that we shall have some good news for you all
>waiting patiently in the next month or so."
>
>Clearly, as I haven't posted since then that we've had a meeting (we
>haven't: David and Paul are calculating a date they can both make as
>Arkady and myself are much easier to schedule) nothing has moved on since
>that mail of last week. When it does I will be pretty ecstatic to let you
>all know!
>
>One thing I would add, by the way. Just as being an Admin on a Wikimedia
>project is "no big deal" and confers no special status or qualities on
>someone, nor does being a member of Wikimedia UK, other than the knowledge
>you are helping to support the growth of WM projects and the creation and
>expansion of free knowledge. It isn't a 'badge of honour' that we expect
>people to add to résumés or such.
>
>Alison
>for WMUK
>
>_______________________

However, being a Trustee of charity would be suitable role to add to a CV.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

On Wed, January 16, 2008 15:34, Gordon Joly wrote:
> However, being a Trustee of charity would be suitable role to add to a CV.

Are you applying to get more involved* then? ;-P

Alison

* cf. last line of http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/legal

Re: [Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

Sean Whitton (Xyrael)
I personally state my WIkimedia work on my CV as voluntary work, as
many of us do. As part of that I would probably note, when my
application is processed, 'member of Wikimedia UK'. But I don't think
I would put that on if I wasn't also a Wikimedian, a volunteer.

Sean

On Jan 16, 2008 4:12 PM, Alison Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, January 16, 2008 15:34, Gordon Joly wrote:
> > However, being a Trustee of charity would be suitable role to add to a CV.
>
> Are you applying to get more involved* then? ;-P
>
> Alison
>

> * cf. last line of http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/legal

Re: [Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

Michael Bimmler
On Jan 16, 2008 7:54 PM, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I personally state my WIkimedia work on my CV as voluntary work, as
> many of us do. As part of that I would probably note, when my
> application is processed, 'member of Wikimedia UK'. But I don't think
> I would put that on if I wasn't also a Wikimedian, a volunteer.

I remember seeing CVs where people list all their affilations with
whatever organisation, i.e. also with Amnesty International and WWF,
if they are just passive members of it. Just for the sake of
transparency, I guess...

Michael

Re: [Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

Thomas Dalton
On 16/01/2008, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2008 7:54 PM, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I personally state my WIkimedia work on my CV as voluntary work, as
> > many of us do. As part of that I would probably note, when my
> > application is processed, 'member of Wikimedia UK'. But I don't think
> > I would put that on if I wasn't also a Wikimedian, a volunteer.
> >

> I remember seeing CVs where people list all their affilations with
> whatever organisation, i.e. also with Amnesty International and WWF,
> if they are just passive members of it. Just for the sake of
> transparency, I guess...

That, or they just want to look like a nice charitable person. I
certainly wouldn't include that kind of thing - CVs should be as short
as possible, anything not relevant to hiring you should be skipped,
and happening to be a member of a charity is not relevant.

I do, however, include the fact that I'm an enwiki admin, since it
looks good (assuming the person reading it isn't anti-Wikipedia, but
they are a minority). I wouldn't include simple membership of
Wikimedia UK, but if I held a voluntary position (eg. trustee) within
the chapter, I would certainly include that.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

On 16/01/2008, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 7:54 PM, Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I personally state my WIkimedia work on my CV as voluntary work, as
> > many of us do. As part of that I would probably note, when my
> > application is processed, 'member of Wikimedia UK'. But I don't think
> > I would put that on if I wasn't also a Wikimedian, a volunteer.

> I remember seeing CVs where people list all their affilations with
> whatever organisation, i.e. also with Amnesty International and WWF,
> if they are just passive members of it. Just for the sake of
> transparency, I guess...

I had "Wikipedia" in interests on my CV for ages. By the time of the
most recent job, it was a real point of interest. They put up with me
taking Wikimedia press calls at work ;-)

- d.

At 16:12 +0000 16/1/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Wed, January 16, 2008 15:34, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>  However, being a Trustee of charity would be suitable role to add to a CV.
>
>Are you applying to get more involved* then? ;-P
>
>Alison

T'would be nice...

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

At 18:54 +0000 16/1/08, Sean Whitton wrote:
>I personally state my WIkimedia work on my CV as voluntary work, as
>many of us do. As part of that I would probably note, when my
>application is processed, 'member of Wikimedia UK'. But I don't think
>I would put that on if I wasn't also a Wikimedian, a volunteer.
>
>Sean

Good point. I was at meeting yesterday were both volunteer effort and
LETS exchanges should be included in the accounts of a charity....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LETS

This was quite a shock!

****

I guess you could say that any part of the chain:

Wiki{p,m}edia Editor / Contributor -> Member -> Director (Trustee)

is worth putting down, at least to show what you do outside 9 to 5.

And recall the Trustees of charity are volunteers by law.

BTW, "member" is a defined term in charity law (and I know the
"Wikimedia UK" Directors are fully conversant with the law).

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: [Fwd: Re: Application to become a Guarantor Member of Wiki Educational Resources Ltd]

Gordon Joly
At 16:12 +0000 16/1/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Wed, January 16, 2008 15:34, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>   However, being a Trustee of charity would be suitable role to add to a CV.
>
>Are you applying to get more involved* then? ;-P
>
>Alison

I don't need to be a Director / Trustee to fulfill one of functions
of such a post, which is to encourage proper procedures and the
execution of business functions..... such as to ask again for a
progress report from the Board, for example.

Gordo.

P.S. I have not sent my 25 quid yet. I slacked off instead....

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/