Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Alex Stinson-2
Hey,

Has anyone noticed the high concentration of editing coming out of Kansas in the United States on the recent bubble map at http://infodisiac.com/blog/2011/05/wikipedia-edits-visualized/? Do we know who/what is going on there? Should we be holding events in Topeka?

Alex
User:Sadads

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Guerillero Wikipedia
Since thats right in the middle of the country that may be a false
reading. I know other mapping programs put all of the hits to a
website that come from the united states but they can't tell where
from at that location.

-Guerillero

On 5/17/11, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Has anyone noticed the high concentration of editing coming out of Kansas in
> the United States on the recent bubble map at
> http://infodisiac.com/blog/2011/05/wikipedia-edits-visualized/? Do we know
> who/what is going on there? Should we be holding events in Topeka?
>
> Alex
> User:Sadads

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Pharos-3
Well, it *would* be awesome if we had a secret wiki-hive in Topeka, anyway.

Who else is trying to build (g)local wiki communities in the US?  I
think some of these may already be quietly growing beyond the horizon
of our attention...

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Guerillero Wikipedia
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since thats right in the middle of the country that may be a false
> reading. I know other mapping programs put all of the hits to a
> website that come from the united states but they can't tell where
> from at that location.
>
> -Guerillero
>
> On 5/17/11, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Has anyone noticed the high concentration of editing coming out of Kansas in
>> the United States on the recent bubble map at
>> http://infodisiac.com/blog/2011/05/wikipedia-edits-visualized/? Do we know
>> who/what is going on there? Should we be holding events in Topeka?
>>
>> Alex
>> User:Sadads

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Alex Stinson
Well it looks, from that map, that their must be some good concentrations of editors in Toronto (not US but close to the border) and LA. Do we know who is participating from that area. Are their people who we could poke?

Alex

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since thats right in the middle of the country that may be a false
> reading. I know other mapping programs put all of the hits to a
> website that come from the united states but they can't tell where
> from at that location.
>
> -Guerillero
>
> On 5/17/11, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> Has anyone noticed the high concentration of editing coming out of Kansas in
>> the United States on the recent bubble map at
>> http://infodisiac.com/blog/2011/05/wikipedia-edits-visualized/? Do we know
>> who/what is going on there? Should we be holding events in Topeka?
>>
>> Alex
>> User:Sadads

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well it looks, from that map, that their must be some good concentrations of
> editors in Toronto (not US but close to the border) and LA. Do we know who
> is participating from that area. Are their people who we could poke?

Wikimedia Canada is actually our newest approved chapter. :-)  I
believe quite a few of the people involved in that are from Ontario,
so that would cover the Toronto people.

As for the LA people, I know Shipmaster is an active Wikimedian in
that area.  There's also been a few Los Angeles meetups
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Los_Angeles> and there
is a general Wikimedia California mailing list
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-california>.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Pharos-3
(reposting for Philippe)

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm from Oklahoma, which we colloquially refer to as "South Kansas".... so,
> yeah.  :P
> What you're getting there is the Sprint Mobile/Broadband center in Topeka.
> _______________________
>
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> 415-839-6885 x6643

>> On 5/25/11 12:30 PM, Pharos wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, it *would* be awesome if we had a secret wiki-hive in Topeka,
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> Who else is trying to build (g)local wiki communities in the US?  I
>>> think some of these may already be quietly growing beyond the horizon
>>> of our attention...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Richard
>>> (User:Pharos)

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

metasj
What if we picked individual active editors from major metropolitan
areas, asked them to pick a date when they were free for a local
meeting, and posted a geonotice for them... then provided a simple
wikiform that they could use [and had a reminderscript leave them
talkpage messages three weeks after the last meeting to see if they
were interested in another one]?

That seems scalable and a nice way to bring together people
proportional to their reading frequency (at least if we can get
geonotices that work with the sitenoitice, not with watchlist
notices).

SJ

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (reposting for Philippe)
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Philippe Beaudette
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm from Oklahoma, which we colloquially refer to as "South Kansas".... so,
>> yeah.  :P
>> What you're getting there is the Sprint Mobile/Broadband center in Topeka.
>> _______________________
>>
>> Philippe Beaudette
>> Head of Reader Relations
>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>> [hidden email]
>> 415-839-6885 x6643

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: Fwd: Recent Bubblemap of English Wikipedia edits

Pharos-3
Awesome, this would be a cool way to systematize the Great American
Wiknic effort going forward...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic

(Now with 12 confirmed Wiknic cities for June 25, but not yet Boston!)

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)