Fwd: [WMF Staff] [press] CNN on india's $35 laptop

Fwd: [WMF Staff] [press] CNN on india's $35 laptop

Barry Newstead
 Interesting article. A couple of top of mind thoughts:
1. Wouldn't it be great to have a preloaded version of Wikipedia on all of these computers...and a simple tutorial for how to edit Wikipedia when they get these computers online. Anyone want to coordinate on this?
2. It would be great to meet with the Human Resources Development Minister and possibly other relevant government officials when I'm in India in September. Anyone have warm connections for us to start a dialogue?

Best,
Barry

Re: Fwd: [WMF Staff] [press] CNN on india's $35 laptop

theo10011
Hello Everyone

In response to Mr. Newstead's mail there are a couple of things I wanted to say, First It's an interesting prospect but I do want to point out that its only a prototype developed in response to OLPC, so they've been working on this for more than a couple of years. Press releases like these have taken place a few times in the capital in the last few years, with other private companies claiming to manufacture the cheapest laptop and desktop, most of them never see the light of the day beyond a press release and some publicity. In light that its a government project, there is a good chance that this device also might not go into production in the near future.

Eventual price target of $10 or even the current $35 projection for that matter just doesn't seem realistic to me, maybe some IT experts from Bangalore might comment more on this.

As for the political connections, I might be able to arrange something with Mr. Kapil Sibal, but please bear in mind that there might be a big scheduling issue with the Commonwealth Games that are going to be organized in the capital at the start of October, as the minister of Human Resource Development and an important member of the Government he might be real busy in the run up to the games, the Delhi government has made the games its top priority for the past 5-6 years. Not to mention that its also going to be pretty hectic for the rest of the city in the run up to the games as well.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything I can do.

Salmaan Haroon

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications

Re: Fwd: [WMF Staff] [press] CNN on india's $35 laptop

Arun Ramarathnam
Barry,

Surely getting Wikipedia on this device would be a great project, especially if we have Indian  language content in addition to English. That would be a clincher.

As we speak the details about this device seem sketchy.

We will all need to check through contacts to see if anyone has contacts at the ministerial level.

regards
Arun

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Barry Newstead <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Interesting article. A couple of top of mind thoughts:
1. Wouldn't it be great to have a preloaded version of Wikipedia on all of these computers...and a simple tutorial for how to edit Wikipedia when they get these computers online. Anyone want to coordinate on this?
2. It would be great to meet with the Human Resources Development Minister and possibly other relevant government officials when I'm in India in September. Anyone have warm connections for us to start a dialogue?

Best,
Barry

Re: Fwd: [WMF Staff] [press] CNN on india's $35 laptop

Kul Wadhwa
Arun is right that the Indian goverment typically gets ahead of
themselves where they release news far before they are ready to deliver
on what they say that can/will do. I believe that are still sourcing
these products from China/Taiwan so it will still take them time to get
the price down to $35 US. However, it shouldn't slow us down from
thinking about these opportunities. We should think of scalable
solutions that could be applied to all low cost PCs. I know OLPC
developed their own offline PC version of selected Wikipedia articles
(we should talk to SJ about that) and there has been interest from the
Intel classmate folks. I also know several people at the Taiwan
information ministry and they have been focusing on developing more and
more low-cost educational PCs for the developing world (including India,
Africa, and Latin America). If we have a scalable technical solution
that adapts to memory and processor constraints, and the content needs
of each community, we can address this entire area.

--Kul