Fwd: [WMUK Board] Press release (Public Domain Day)

Fwd: [WMUK Board] Press release (Public Domain Day)

Michael Peel-2
See Steve's reply, below, which didn't make it to this list. I agree
with the promotion point - this isn't the place to push unrelated
events, although it's always good to mention them if they are related
(e.g. as in the 5 million Commons files release). Andrew did make a
number of other points as well as this one, though.

Thanks,
Mike

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Steve Virgin" <[hidden email]>
> Date: 29 December 2009 16:57:27 GMT
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [WMUK Board] [Wikimediauk-l] Press release (Public
> Domain Day)
>

> Charles is quite right that we have been in touch
>
> He was aware that we needed to run this through the Board Meeting
> tonight as I pointed this out last week
>
> I think he was aware I might have some reservations (albeit minor)
> about the text so I doubt anyone thought it would be issued
> prematurely
>
> Any promotion of Britain Loves Wikipedia should be in a section at
> the bottom called 'Editor's Notes' that comes at the end of the
> press release - it should not come in the main body text as this
> will mean more than one single message is being conveyed and this
> will be confusing
>
> I'd certainly promote it in the Editor's Notes - but nowhere else.
> Or, simply write a new press release all about Britain Loves
> Wikipedia and issue that to secure the same
>
> I had a few minor and small doubts about the 70 year rule so on
> phrases in the text suggesting 'copyright free on anything' which I
> simply modified to sound less harsh. But our collective Board
> knowledge on the copyright matter would no doubt be of interest
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Best
> Steve

Telegraph runs story ...

Charles Matthews
In the end, a story appeared today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6916596/WB-Yeats-and-Sigmund-Freud-works-posted-on-Wikipedia-as-copyright-expires.html

Well done indeed to Mike and Andrew in particular for pushing on past
all the obstacles.

Charles

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

joseph seddon
"To illustrate the potential, Wikimedia has organised for a range of its celebrity backers to record their favourite Yeats poems, which will be posted online over the next few days. "

Since when?

Seddon

> Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 20:27:30 +0000
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimediauk-l] Telegraph runs story ...
>
> In the end, a story appeared today:
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6916596/WB-Yeats-and-Sigmund-Freud-works-posted-on-Wikipedia-as-copyright-expires.html
>

> Well done indeed to Mike and Andrew in particular for pushing on past
> all the obstacles.
>
> Charles

New! Receive and respond to mail from other email accounts from within Hotmail Find out how.

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Thomas Dalton
2010/1/2 joseph seddon <[hidden email]>:
> "To illustrate the potential, Wikimedia has organised for a range of its
> celebrity backers to record their favourite Yeats poems, which will be
> posted online over the next few days. "
>
> Since when?

I remember seeing it proposed, but it being organised is news to me...

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Charles Matthews
joseph seddon wrote:
> "To illustrate the potential, Wikimedia has organised for a range of
> its celebrity backers to record their favourite Yeats poems, which
> will be posted online over the next few days. "
>
> Since when?
Important not to believe everything in the papers, isn't it?

Charles

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Andrew Gray-3
2010/1/2 Charles Matthews <[hidden email]>:
> In the end, a story appeared today:
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6916596/WB-Yeats-and-Sigmund-Freud-works-posted-on-Wikipedia-as-copyright-expires.html
>
> Well done indeed to Mike and Andrew in particular for pushing on past
> all the obstacles.

I like the addition at the end of last year / next year. Something to
include for next year's one, I think - having an "In the past few
years..." line gives the opportunity to cram in some extra names the
journalist may recognise.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

brian.mcneil-2
On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 20:32 +0000, Charles Matthews wrote:
> joseph seddon wrote:
> > "To illustrate the potential, Wikimedia has organised for a range of
> > its celebrity backers to record their favourite Yeats poems, which
> > will be posted online over the next few days. "
> >
> > Since when?
> Important not to believe everything in the papers, isn't it?
>
> Charles

I contacted Stephen Fry's agent but got no response. It may have been
bad timing given the holidays, perhaps someone else could try and see if
that can be arranged after the fact.

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Thomas Dalton
2010/1/2 Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>:
> I contacted Stephen Fry's agent but got no response. It may have been
> bad timing given the holidays, perhaps someone else could try and see if
> that can be arranged after the fact.

I contacted his agent once to see if he would be interested in getting
involved with our bid for Wikimania 2010 and also got no response. If
he hadn't just announced that he's going incommunicado until April to
work on his autobiography, I would have suggested contacting him via
Twitter. He won't do any recordings until he's finished the book,
though.

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Ian A. Holton
I don't think that contacting him via Twitter would be the most effective way - you can imagine how many DM and @ he gets per minute at over 1 million followers ;) How was the agent contacted, E-Mail? I often find the the traditional telephone call can often work wonders.

Ian
[[User:Poeloq]]

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/1/2 Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>:
> I contacted Stephen Fry's agent but got no response. It may have been
> bad timing given the holidays, perhaps someone else could try and see if
> that can be arranged after the fact.

I contacted his agent once to see if he would be interested in getting
involved with our bid for Wikimania 2010 and also got no response. If
he hadn't just announced that he's going incommunicado until April to
work on his autobiography, I would have suggested contacting him via
Twitter. He won't do any recordings until he's finished the book,
though.

Ian A Holton

"What the liberal must ask,
first of all, is not how fast or how far
we should move,
but where we should move."
-F.A von Hayek

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Thomas Dalton
2010/1/2 Ian A. Holton <[hidden email]>:
> I don't think that contacting him via Twitter would be the most effective
> way - you can imagine how many DM and @ he gets per minute at over 1 million
> followers ;) How was the agent contacted, E-Mail? I often find the the
> traditional telephone call can often work wonders.

He frequently replies to people that talk to him on twitter. When I
contacted his agent it was by email, a telephone call might work but
there is no guarantee you'll get to talk to anyone other than his
agent's secretary.

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Michael Peel-2

On 2 Jan 2010, at 20:27, Charles Matthews wrote:

> In the end, a story appeared today:
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/wikipedia/6916596/WB-Yeats-
> and-Sigmund-Freud-works-posted-on-Wikipedia-as-copyright-expires.html
>

> Well done indeed to Mike and Andrew in particular for pushing on past
> all the obstacles.

Well done Charles and Brian for writing the article, and also pushing
past your share of obstacles. :-)

I think I've found another addiction thanks to this - I spent most of
today and yesterday making a book of Yeats available on Wikisource...
If you haven't already tried proofreading a book on Wikisource, then
I would thoroughly recommend it.

The next press release, due to go out tomorrow evening, will be about
a donation of images from the Mary Rose Trust:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_releases/Mary_Rose_Trust_donation

Please help! If this goes down well in the media, then it will be a
great precedent for getting more organizations to make their content
available by Wikimedia websites.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

brian.mcneil-2
On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 23:24 +0000, Michael Peel wrote:

> The next press release, due to go out tomorrow evening, will be about
> a donation of images from the Mary Rose Trust:
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_releases/Mary_Rose_Trust_donation
>
> Please help! If this goes down well in the media, then it will be a
> great precedent for getting more organizations to make their content
> available by Wikimedia websites.

You mention the Tropenmuseum; there's more than just the image donation
there. They're providing high-resolution images and Wikimedia volunteers
are carrying out the costly, time-intensive process of digitally
restoring them.

The Mary Rose pics won't need restored, but Commons offers some
interesting "services" to museums.

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Michael Peel-2

On 3 Jan 2010, at 00:35, Brian McNeil wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 23:24 +0000, Michael Peel wrote:
>
>> The next press release, due to go out tomorrow evening, will be about
>> a donation of images from the Mary Rose Trust:
>>
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Press_releases/Mary_Rose_Trust_donation
>>
>> Please help! If this goes down well in the media, then it will be a
>> great precedent for getting more organizations to make their content
>> available by Wikimedia websites.
>
> You mention the Tropenmuseum; there's more than just the image
> donation
> there. They're providing high-resolution images and Wikimedia
> volunteers
> are carrying out the costly, time-intensive process of digitally
> restoring them.
>
> The Mary Rose pics won't need restored, but Commons offers some
> interesting "services" to museums.

Durova's already done what she can with the image in the release at
the moment. If you can figure out how to best add a mention of
digital restorations, please do...

Mike

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

brian.mcneil-2
On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 00:40 +0000, Michael Peel wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2010, at 00:35, Brian McNeil wrote:

> Durova's already done what she can with the image in the release at
> the moment. If you can figure out how to best add a mention of
> digital restorations, please do...

I'd like to work that in, the closest to an appropriate place I see is
the "about Commons" section, and I'm stumped for a wording.

I had a few edit conflicts making some changes; mostly taken from the
English Wikinews' style guide. The repeat one was "spell out all numbers
of twenty or less". I also figured the standard date format should be
'daynumber monthname year' - a UK-style/standard. There were a couple of
American spellings in there too, mostly on "soft" words that a spell
checker will accept either of.

I don't think WMUK needs a style guide as long as Wikinews' but, it
might be an idea to note points as we go along that should be
consistent.

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Charles Matthews
Brian McNeil wrote:
> I don't think WMUK needs a style guide as long as Wikinews' but, it
> might be an idea to note points as we go along that should be
> consistent.

Oooh, let's do the endash-hyphen thing right here ... not. The press do
have their own style guides, so the message is more important than the
medium.

I have moved material around to get the punch into the first para. "Mary
Rose" is good: on everyone's radar, apparently.

Charles

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

brian.mcneil-2
On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 09:51 +0000, Charles Matthews wrote:

> Brian McNeil wrote:
> > I don't think WMUK needs a style guide as long as Wikinews' but, it
> > might be an idea to note points as we go along that should be
> > consistent.
> >

> Oooh, let's do the endash-hyphen thing right here ... not. The press do
> have their own style guides, so the message is more important than the
> medium.
I was not suggest importing ultra-anal-retentive nitpicking from English
Wikipedia. Particularly something as stupid as the ndash one which is a
visual issue and for a press release they would look the same 'on the
wire'.

The rules I saw as important to apply in the press release were:

* British English spelling (including preferring 'organisation' over
'organization')
* Consisted, UK-style date formatting with the month spelt out to be
unambiguous.
* Spell out all numbers of twenty or less

The rest is just preference for active voice where possible and good
grammar.

> I have moved material around to get the punch into the first para. "Mary
> Rose" is good: on everyone's radar, apparently.

Are press releases going onto any of the semi-junk freebie pseudo-wires?
There's several of these turn up in Google News results.

How are the current recipients of issued press releases managed? Is
there a distribution list? How would, say, a blogger go about
subscribing to WMUK news?

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Charles Matthews
Brian McNeil wrote:

> The rules I saw as important to apply in the press release were:
>
> * British English spelling (including preferring 'organisation' over
> 'organization')
> * Consisted, UK-style date formatting with the month spelt out to be
> unambiguous.
> * Spell out all numbers of twenty or less
>
> The rest is just preference for active voice where possible and good
> grammar.

Why not post these to the wiki, as [[Recommendations for press release
style]] or something?

Charles

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Michael Peel-2

On 3 Jan 2010, at 10:44, Brian McNeil wrote:

>> I have moved material around to get the punch into the first para.
>> "Mary
>> Rose" is good: on everyone's radar, apparently.
>
> Are press releases going onto any of the semi-junk freebie pseudo-
> wires?
> There's several of these turn up in Google News results.
>
> How are the current recipients of issued press releases managed? Is
> there a distribution list? How would, say, a blogger go about
> subscribing to WMUK news?

At the moment, we just email the press releases to those that we've
been in contact with (i.e. they've previously gotten in touch with us
to talk to us about a Wikipedia story). We don't have a wider
distribution list yet, aside from the blog.

Is it worth moving to having a press-releases mailing list that
people can subscribe to, in addition to sending them out to
appropriate specific journalists?

If anyone has any suggestions of contacts/organizations to send press
releases to, please let me know offlist.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

2010/1/3 Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>:

> How are the current recipients of issued press releases managed? Is
> there a distribution list? How would, say, a blogger go about
> subscribing to WMUK news?

I would expect all press releases would go on the WMUK blog.

- d.

Re: Telegraph runs story ...

Michael Peel-2
Hi Steve,

Thanks for this; I've integrated some of these changes into the
release. I quite like Charles's rearrangement of the release from
this morning, so I haven't changed the arrangement much - except for
splitting up the first paragraph into two so that they become a bit
more punchy.

One point to note: content donations are different from "loves"
events - the former just involves the public online, whilst the
latter involves them offline in museums. The Bundesarchiv etc. were
content donations, not "loves" events.

I think we're just about ready to send this out - if everyone's happy
with it?

Mike