Fwd: Wiki DevRoom at FOSDEM?

Quim Gil-2
I have contacted some wiki projects sending them the email below. If you
know good contacts out there please forward this invitation to them.

The FOSDEM organizers replied back saying that they preferred a
cross-project Wiki devroom. The more and more diverse support we get,
the better chances we will have to get the devroom proposal accepted.

... and if you want to help defining the proposal you are of course
invited too. I'll start drafting tomorrow.

Re: Fwd: Wiki DevRoom at FOSDEM?

Quim Gil-2
On 09/04/2013 03:29 PM, Quim Gil wrote:
> I have contacted some wiki projects sending them the email below.

... and so far only http://www.xwiki.com responded, but bringing
experience and resources. Last year they submitted a proposal but it
wasn't accepted. The competition is big.

Looking forward to hear this week from more projects.

> If you
> know good contacts out there please forward this invitation to them.

Still true!

> The FOSDEM organizers replied back saying that they preferred a
> cross-project Wiki devroom. The more and more diverse support we get,
> the better chances we will have to get the devroom proposal accepted.
>
> ... and if you want to help defining the proposal you are of course
> invited too. I'll start drafting tomorrow.

In fact today:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/FOSDEM#Devroom_proposal

Your edits are welcome. Your feedback in the discussion page too.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

FOSDEM update

Quim Gil-2
Hi, about FOSDEM - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/FOSDEM

Brussels / 1 & 2 February 2014

On 1 Oct we will know whether our proposal for a Wiki DevRoom has been
accepted or not. This is a DevRoom we have proposed together with XWiki
and TikiWiki and is open to all wiki topics. If we we get it accepted we
will organize a call for participation for this DevRoom.

The call for main track session proposals is open until 1 Oct.
https://fosdem.org/2014/news/2013-08-06-call-for-participation/

... and the call for lightning talks and stands is open until 20 Nov.
https://fosdem.org/2014/news/2013-09-17-call-for-participation-part-two/

You are encouraged to submit lightning talk proposals! Don worry if you
are unsure between submitting a session for a lightning talk or a
devroom: you can contact both and then they suggest you what to do.

Wikimedia wants to have a stand, and we have received an offer to help
from the nascent Wikimedia Belgium chapter. Probably more help can be
aggregated from CH, DE, FR, NL, UK + other tech contributors in the
region? Let's do something really cool! To be discussed.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: FOSDEM update

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
Le 25/09/2013 19:39, Quim Gil a écrit :
> Wikimedia wants to have a stand, and we have received an offer to help
> from the nascent Wikimedia Belgium chapter. Probably more help can be
> aggregated from CH, DE, FR, NL, UK + other tech contributors in the
> region? Let's do something really cool! To be discussed.

Kiwix and openZIM people never attend to the FOSDEM in the past. This is
something we seriously think to change next year with the help of
Wikimedia CH. If there is a Wikimedia booth, we would be really happy to
help to animate it.

Regards
Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: FOSDEM update

Quim Gil-2
On 09/25/2013 10:39 AM, Quim Gil wrote:
> Hi, about FOSDEM - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/FOSDEM
>
> Brussels / 1 & 2 February 2014
>
> On 1 Oct we will know whether our proposal for a Wiki DevRoom has been
> accepted or not.

And the answer is... YES, ACCEPTED!

We will receive instructions from the FOSDEM organizers soon, and then
we will call a first meeting with Vincent (XWiki), Jean-Marc (Tiki) and
whoever else wants to get involved in the organization of the devroom.

If you are interested, watch & comment at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Events/FOSDEM#Wiki_devroom_ACCEPTED.21

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: FOSDEM update

Tomasz Finc-2
Excellent. This is a great opportunity for us. Thanks for shepherding this Quim.