[Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

[Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

Fred Bauder-2
"Broadband use remains another predictor, as 59% of those with home
broadband use the service, compared with 26% of those who connect to the
internet through dial-up."

Many images... Although a sophisticated user can turn them off or use lynx.

Fred

User:Fred Bauder

Re: [Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

Pharos-3
There's a high correlation between broadband and income levels that
probably has more to do with it.

Thanks,
Pharos

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Broadband use remains another predictor, as 59% of those with home
> broadband use the service, compared with 26% of those who connect to the
> internet through dial-up."
>
> Many images... Although a sophisticated user can turn them off or use lynx.
>
> Fred
>
> User:Fred Bauder

Always a wonderful question, whether a difference is caused by one thing
or another. I just remember when I first came on the internet running
CP/M with a 300-bit/s modem. Lynx was my friend. Poor people have poor
ways and that is the issue, the vast majority of our potential audience,
thinking on a global basis, is desperately poor. A 200k page with 30
images just won't load.

Fred

> There's a high correlation between broadband and income levels that
> probably has more to do with it.
>
> Thanks,
> Pharos
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> "Broadband use remains another predictor, as 59% of those with home
>> broadband use the service, compared with 26% of those who connect to
>> the
>> internet through dial-up."
>>
>> Many images... Although a sophisticated user can turn them off or use
>> lynx.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> User:Fred Bauder

John Mark Vandenberg
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a high correlation between broadband and income levels that
> probably has more to do with it.

In Australia, there is a high correlation between broadband use and
broadband availability ;-)

My mum can only get dialup, and ~21 kpbs is a good day.
Wikipedia is better than many websites wrt being accessible on dialup.
 http pipelining helps.  The biggest annoyance is that WP content is
not served from a single host, so multiple DNS lookups are required,
and multiple HTTP connections are needed.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

KIZU Naoko
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a high correlation between broadband and income levels that
> probably has more to do with it.

Not worldwide I assume, broadband availability seems to depend on
geographic conditions.

In some areas broadband isn't available at all, like in small Japanese
peripheral islands. ADSL is the possible fastest mean for connection.
On the other hand, in urban areas, there is no or little price
difference between broadband and other means, specially if the former
is equipped by building owners or such.

While I agree on that using images is not so nice always for those
people and that lynx helps much in low speed connection (it was my
friend too), I wonder who knows it specially among Window users in
these days.

> Thanks,
> Pharos
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Broadband use remains another predictor, as 59% of those with home
>> broadband use the service, compared with 26% of those who connect to the
>> internet through dial-up."
>>
>> Many images... Although a sophisticated user can turn them off or use lynx.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> User:Fred Bauder

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: [Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

Thomas Dalton
2011/1/14 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There's a high correlation between broadband and income levels that
>> probably has more to do with it.
>
> Not worldwide I assume, broadband availability seems to depend on
> geographic conditions.
>
> In some areas broadband isn't available at all, like in small Japanese
> peripheral islands. ADSL is the possible fastest mean for connection.
> On the other hand, in urban areas, there is no or little price
> difference between broadband and other means, specially if the former
> is equipped by building owners or such.

Geographic differences indeed! In the UK, we consider ADSL to be a
type of broadband connection. This highlights the importance of making
sure different figures use the same definitions before comparing them.

On 13 January 2011 21:19, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a high correlation between broadband and income levels that
> probably has more to do with it.

There is a correlation between broadband and age, as well, I believe.
The elderly (when they have an internet connection at all) are more
likely to use dialup than the general population (I think - I haven't
looked at the numbers recently). It wouldn't surprise me at all if
Wikipedia isn't used a much by the elderly as by the general
population.

Re: [Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

David Gerard-2
On 14 January 2011 12:11, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a correlation between broadband and age, as well, I believe.
> The elderly (when they have an internet connection at all) are more
> likely to use dialup than the general population (I think - I haven't
> looked at the numbers recently). It wouldn't surprise me at all if
> Wikipedia isn't used a much by the elderly as by the general
> population.

Good question. Mind you, my mother got broadband specifically to make
video phone calls with Skype to her grandchildren ... grandmothers are
the userbase for video phones.

- d.

Re: [Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Pew Research Report on Wikipedia]

MZMcBride-2
David Gerard wrote:
> Good question. Mind you, my mother got broadband specifically to make
> video phone calls with Skype to her grandchildren ... grandmothers are
> the userbase for video phones.

And for Facebook, apparently: http://www.insidefacebook.com/?p=5774

Women and the elderly are two demographics that Wikimedia is now trying to
attract... food for thought.

MZMcBride