Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Andrew Turvey
As David Cameron's such a fan, should we sent him a membership form! :)

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Alison M. Wheeler
> "Our government spends nearly £400 million a year on advertising to
> reach sixty million people while Wikipedia, one of the largest
> websites in the world, spends about one per cent of that to reach 280
> million people."
>
> Not sure if his figures are accurate, but it's intriguing.

It is, of course, entirely inaccurate to say we spend around £4m on
advertising ... we spend, as near as makes no difference, zero ;-P

AlisonW

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

James Farrar
Heh! :-)

2009/4/27 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:

> As David Cameron's such a fan, should we sent him a membership form! :)

And Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg, of  course ;-)

Keeping resolutely nonpartisan is important, of course.

- d.

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Gordon Joly
At 14:40 +0100 27/4/09, David Gerard wrote:

>2009/4/27 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
>
>  > As David Cameron's such a fan, should we sent him a membership form! :)
>

>And Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg, of  course ;-)
>
>Keeping resolutely nonpartisan is important, of course.
>

>- d.
>
>__________________

Impartial? Then why not ask Seetha Kumar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/seetha_kumar/

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

2009/4/27 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/4/27 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
>
>> As David Cameron's such a fan, should we sent him a membership form! :)
>

> And Gordon Brown and Nick Clegg, of  course ;-)
>
> Keeping resolutely nonpartisan is important, of course.

When they praise Wikipedia in a speech :-)

If we have any members who are secretly Tory members, they would be
the best way to go about it - a cheeky letter to DC saying something
like "I heard your praise for Wikipedia in your speech; would you be
interested in in joining this organisation which supports its aims in
the UK?" might almost work! ;-)

By the way, David, I noticed yesterday that your name was not on the list ;-)

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

David Gerard-2
2009/4/27 James Farrar <[hidden email]>:

> By the way, David, I noticed yesterday that your name was not on the list ;-)

*cough* I must get around to actually joining WMUKv2 ;-p

- d.

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton
2009/4/27 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/4/27 James Farrar <[hidden email]>:
>
>> By the way, David, I noticed yesterday that your name was not on the list ;-)
>

> *cough* I must get around to actually joining WMUKv2 ;-p

We had a few people finally get around to it about an hour before we
started voting on things yesterday. One person joined about 30 seconds
before! You're not alone in being slow. (And I thought I was bad!) Go
and do it now - no time like the present!

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Michael Bimmler
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>One person joined about 30 seconds
> before!

Out of interest: Did this person then pay the fee in cash before being
approved as a member?

michael

--
Michael Bimmler

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

joseph seddon
Yes i believe so :)

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:24:09 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediauk-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >One person joined about 30 seconds
> > before!
>
> Out of interest: Did this person then pay the fee in cash before being
> approved as a member?
>
> michael
>

> --
> Michael Bimmler

Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free. Try it Now!

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Mike Peel

On 27 Apr 2009, at 22:24, Michael Bimmler wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Dalton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> One person joined about 30 seconds
>> before!
>
> Out of interest: Did this person then pay the fee in cash before being
> approved as a member?

Yes.

Mike

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Andrew Turvey
The board has a policy that it will only accept members once payment has cleared. This means if they pay by cheque, they are approved subject to clearing and only get a vote from when it clears.

All the four members who signed up at the AGM paid in cash, so they were approved immediately.

2009/4/27 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:

> On 27 Apr 2009, at 22:24, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Dalton
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> One person joined about 30 seconds
>>> before!
>>
>> Out of interest: Did this person then pay the fee in cash before being
>> approved as a member?
>
> Yes.

That approval must have been the shortest board meeting ever at about
1 second (beating the board meeting an hour or so earlier that lasted
about 30 seconds). Has anyone written up minutes for that meeting?
Technically, it is required.

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Andrew Turvey
Of course!

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-26a

2009/4/27 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>:

> On 27 Apr 2009, at 22:24, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Thomas Dalton
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> One person joined about 30 seconds
>>> before!
>>
>> Out of interest: Did this person then pay the fee in cash before being
>> approved as a member?
>
> Yes.

That approval must have been the shortest board meeting ever at about
1 second (beating the board meeting an hour or so earlier that lasted
about 30 seconds). Has anyone written up minutes for that meeting?
Technically, it is required.

Re: Fwd: [WikiEN-l] Politician praises Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton
2009/4/27 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
> Of course!
>
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetings/2009-04-26a

Those minutes are rather misleading... firstly, did you actually
adjourn until 4pm or was the 4pm meeting impromptu (if the former,
then I must salute your prescience)? Secondly, minutes are usually
done in chronological order rather than categorised as those have
been. Seeing as minutes of board meetings are a legal requirement, you
really should do them properly.