Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven" proposal passes Parliament

Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven" proposal passes Parliament

Liam Wyatt
Thought people here might be interested in this.
We should be at that conference (last bullet point) IMO.
Are we looking to set up a new data-centre in Europe?

-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata

Re: Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven" proposalpasses Parliament

Sue Gardner
Hi Liam,

We're not (looking to set up a new data centre in Europe).  We're planning a second US data centre, likely in Virginia. Mark Bergsma's in the office this week, leaving to scout out possibilities with Danese, tonight.  They, or someone else involved with tech, can probably talk more about that, if you want specifics :-)

Thanks,
Sue

Re: Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven" proposalpasses Parliament

Michael Snow-3
If it's in the US, wouldn't it be a data center? (I'm mildly
disappointed to discover that the Meta pages on the "guerilla UK
spelling campaign" and the "gorilla US spelling campaign" were deleted
some time ago. Though honestly, Noah Webster should have finished the
job and made it "campain".)

--Michael Snow

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Liam,
>
> We're not (looking to set up a new data centre in Europe).  We're planning a second US data centre, likely in Virginia. Mark Bergsma's in the office this week, leaving to scout out possibilities with Danese, tonight.  They, or someone else involved with tech, can probably talk more about that, if you want specifics :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

metasj
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Michael Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If it's in the US, wouldn't it be a data center? (I'm mildly
> disappointed to discover that the Meta pages on the "guerilla UK
> spelling campaign" and the "gorilla US spelling campaign" were deleted
> some time ago...

We still have their less contentious multinational offspring:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guerilla_non-eEnglish_spelling_and_grammar_campaign

SJ

Re: Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven"proposalpasses Parliament

Sue Gardner
Ha! You know, I remember that when I first arrived at Wikimedia, Jimmy sent me a couple of gentle little e-mails, pointing out where I had used Canadian spellings, and telling me that Americans spelled those words differently.

It made me laugh out loud. Because I thought, only an American (albeit a kind, wanting-to-be-helpful American) would ever entertain the notion that a Canadian might not know that. Because we of course grew up consuming American novels and magazines and so forth, and so it's a thing we learned when we were, like, five years old.

So yeah. Press releases and official communications will adhere to US style. But in my personal writing, you will always see the "ou"s and the "re"s :-)

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Liam,
>
> We're not (looking to set up a new data centre in Europe).  We're planning a second US data centre, likely in Virginia. Mark Bergsma's in the office this week, leaving to scout out possibilities with Danese, tonight.  They, or someone else involved with tech, can probably talk more about that, if you want specifics :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

Tim Starling-2
On 17/06/10 06:55, Michael Snow wrote:
> If it's in the US, wouldn't it be a data center? (I'm mildly
> disappointed to discover that the Meta pages on the "guerilla UK
> spelling campaign" and the "gorilla US spelling campaign" were deleted
> some time ago. Though honestly, Noah Webster should have finished the
> job and made it "campain".)

For people lucky enough to be able to view the treasure trove of
Wikimedia history that is the meta deletion archive, here is the
version I prefer:

<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Undelete&target=Guerilla+UK+spelling+campaign&timestamp=20050608022530>

Click "show preview" to see it with formatting.

-- Tim Starling

Re: Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven" proposal passes Parliament

James Alexander-3
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 17/06/10 06:55, Michael Snow wrote:
> > If it's in the US, wouldn't it be a data center? (I'm mildly
> > disappointed to discover that the Meta pages on the "guerilla UK
> > spelling campaign" and the "gorilla US spelling campaign" were deleted
> > some time ago. Though honestly, Noah Webster should have finished the
> > job and made it "campain".)
>
> For people lucky enough to be able to view the treasure trove of
> Wikimedia history that is the meta deletion archive, here is the
> version I prefer:
>
> <
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Undelete&target=Guerilla+UK+spelling+campaign&timestamp=20050608022530
> >

> Click "show preview" to see it with formatting.
>
> -- Tim Starling

You would
and
3 cheers for Sj ! http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guerilla_spelling_campaigns

James Alexander

Re: Fwd: WikiLeaks inspired "New media haven" proposal passes Parliament

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
Tim Starling wrote:

> On 17/06/10 06:55, Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> If it's in the US, wouldn't it be a data center? (I'm mildly
>> disappointed to discover that the Meta pages on the "guerilla UK
>> spelling campaign" and the "gorilla US spelling campaign" were deleted
>> some time ago. Though honestly, Noah Webster should have finished the
>> job and made it "campain".)
>>

> For people lucky enough to be able to view the treasure trove of
> Wikimedia history that is the meta deletion archive, here is the
> version I prefer:
>
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Undelete&target=Guerilla+UK+spelling+campaign&timestamp=20050608022530>

You could have pastebinned it, if you had any other
intention than cock a snoot at those of us who are
*not* admins on meta. Just a kind reminder.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen