Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Erik Moeller-4

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Cristian Consonni
2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
> options as well.

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
organize it around the Wikimedia Conference  (the days just before or
just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
Milan).
Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
participating.
We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
get in touch the international community.

Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)

Cristian
WM-IT

[1] http://www.fbk.eu
[2] http://it.dbpedia.org/

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Sumana Harihareswara-2
On 12/20/2012 06:56 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:

> 2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
>> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
>> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
>> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
>> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
>> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
>> options as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
> Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
> the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
> FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
> the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
> DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
> They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
> organize it around the Wikimedia Conference  (the days just before or
> just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
> this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
> WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
> Milan).
> Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
> sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
> participating.
> We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
> get in touch the international community.
>
> Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)
>
> Cristian
> WM-IT
>
> [1] http://www.fbk.eu
> [2] http://it.dbpedia.org/

Sounds potentially good; the one bit of caution, I think, is that if you
can't have the event happen in March or early April, you will possibly
cause some participants to *choose* between the mapping event and the
late May WMNL hackathon,  because they can't take the time to travel to
both so close together.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013

Best of luck in the planning!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Quim Gil-2
On 12/24/2012 06:48 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:

> On 12/20/2012 06:56 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
>> 2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
>>> WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
>>> bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
>>> there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
>>> Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
>>> know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
>>> options as well.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
>> Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
>> the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
>> FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
>> the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
>> DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
>> They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
>> organize it around the Wikimedia Conference  (the days just before or
>> just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
>> this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
>> WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
>> Milan).
>> Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
>> sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
>> participating.
>> We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
>> get in touch the international community.
>>
>> Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)
>>
>> Cristian
>> WM-IT
>>
>> [1] http://www.fbk.eu
>> [2] http://it.dbpedia.org/
>
> Sounds potentially good; the one bit of caution, I think, is that if you
> can't have the event happen in March or early April, you will possibly
> cause some participants to *choose* between the mapping event and the
> late May WMNL hackathon,  because they can't take the time to travel to
> both so close together.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013

Just thinking out loud (or in written form)  :)

How many people do you expect in this mapping event?

Wouldn't it be simpler and more convenient to have it together / around
the Amsterdam Hackathon?

I know we said we wouldn't organize this mapping event ourselves, but if
the amount of people is not that big then maybe it can be simply
absorbed by the Hackathon. More critical mass in Amsterdam, more
potentially diverse collaboration, hopefully less travel and CO2.

Just an idea. No complaints if you still prefer to go for the Trento option.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Ole Palnatoke Andersen-2
In Wikimedia Danmark, we have been looking at co-locating the event with
Open Source Days* in March, but unless the OSD organisers get back to us
really soon, I guess we'll back out.

*) http://www.opensourcedays.org/

Regards,
Ole

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 3:48 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]

http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

2012/12/26 Quim Gil <[hidden email]>:
> Just thinking out loud (or in written form)  :)
>
> How many people do you expect in this mapping event?

Our (Italian) OSM contact extimated around 20 people from the OSM
community, plus the people from the Wikimedia world.

2012/12/25 Sumana Harihareswara <[hidden email]>:
> Sounds potentially good; the one bit of caution, I think, is that if you
> can't have the event happen in March or early April, you will possibly
> cause some participants to *choose* between the mapping event and the
> late May WMNL hackathon,  because they can't take the time to travel to
> both so close together.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Amsterdam_Hackathon_2013
>
> Best of luck in the planning!

> Wouldn't it be simpler and more convenient to have it together / around the
> Amsterdam Hackathon?
>
> I know we said we wouldn't organize this mapping event ourselves, but if the
> amount of people is not that big then maybe it can be simply absorbed by the
> Hackathon. More critical mass in Amsterdam, more potentially diverse
> collaboration, hopefully less travel and CO2.
>
> Just an idea. No complaints if you still prefer to go for the Trento option.

Actually these are good points. I started this page in the hope to get
all information in one place:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap/OSM-Wikimedia_event

Add your questions to the page (or if your are looking forward
organizing it, add your info)

Cristian

On 12/26/2012 09:38 AM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
> Actually these are good points. I started this page in the hope to get
> all information in one place:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap/OSM-Wikimedia_event

See also http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Events/Wikimedia_Mapping_Event_2013

:)

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Aude-2
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> 2012/11/28 Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>:
> > WMF is not going to organize this, but we can help sponsor travel and
> > bring the key developers from our side who will work on this. Are
> > there any takers for supporting a 20-30 people development event in
> > Europe focused on mapping/geodata? I'm suggesting Europe because I
> > know quite a few of the relevant folks are there, but am open to other
> > options as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for bringing up this thread again so late, anyway Wikimedia
> Italia has found a partner who is willing to organize such an event:
> the "Bruno Kessler Foundation"[1] (FBK).
> FBK is a research centre in Trento (Italy), which is already active in
> the field; they are also maintaining the Italian version of
> DBpedia[2]. The event will be held in Trento.
> They are rather flexible about the dates, but we are suggesting to
> organize it around the Wikimedia Conference  (the days just before or
> just after the conference) so to focus our efforts in that period; in
> this way we could also profit from the fact that some people from the
> WMF staff will already be in Italy (since the WMConf will be held in
> Milan).
> Also, we think that organizing it before April will not give a
> sufficient notice to other developers who may be interested in
> participating.
> We already contacted the Italian OSM community which will help to to
> get in touch the international community.
>
> Is this ok for you, can we start make it moving? =)

Anyone know if this is happening or not?  Sometime around the chapters
meeting seems as good a time as any.  Or maybe attached as a few days
before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.

(/me not organizing anything, though)

I think there will be little overlap between attendees of the chapters
meeting and this, whereas I think there's a bit of overlap with the
hackathon.  Problem is I am not aware of anyone willing to organize
anything around the hackathon.

Advantage of what Christian proposes is that someone is willing to host and
help organize it. :)

The longer time goes by without picking a date, the more likely people like
me can't come as something else will come up and then they are busy.

Cheers,
Katie

> Cristian
> WM-IT
>
> [1] http://www.fbk.eu
> [2] http://it.dbpedia.org/

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Cristian Consonni
Hi aude,

2013/1/7 aude <[hidden email]>:

> Anyone know if this is happening or not?  Sometime around the chapters
> meeting seems as good a time as any.  Or maybe attached as a few days
> before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.
>
> (/me not organizing anything, though)
> I think there will be little overlap between attendees of the chapters
> meeting and this, whereas I think there's a bit of overlap with the
> hackathon.  Problem is I am not aware of anyone willing to organize
> anything around the hackathon.
>
> Advantage of what Christian proposes is that someone is willing to host and
> help organize it. :)

We are definitely willing to organize it with FBK.
We were waiting to hear from the other chapter who expressed some
interest. I also got in touch with WM-NL to discuss if they can/are
willing to organize the event near the hackaton, since probably that
the overlap with that event could be greater, as Sumana proposed.
Also, Amsterdam may be a little easier to reach than Trento (I have
been told that most of OSM developers are based in Germany or in UK).
(I don't mean to put pressure on anybody though)

In any case, we will collect some feedback in the next days and then
you'll hear from us.

> The longer time goes by without picking a date, the more likely people like
> me can't come as something else will come up and then they are busy.

That's right. I think that in at most an couple of weeks we will be
able to fix some details.

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Aude-2
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Cristian Consonni
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi aude,
>
> 2013/1/7 aude <[hidden email]>:
> > Anyone know if this is happening or not?  Sometime around the chapters
> > meeting seems as good a time as any.  Or maybe attached as a few days
> > before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.
> >
> > (/me not organizing anything, though)
> > I think there will be little overlap between attendees of the chapters
> > meeting and this, whereas I think there's a bit of overlap with the
> > hackathon.  Problem is I am not aware of anyone willing to organize
> > anything around the hackathon.
> >
> > Advantage of what Christian proposes is that someone is willing to host
> and
> > help organize it. :)
>
> We are definitely willing to organize it with FBK.
> We were waiting to hear from the other chapter who expressed some
> interest. I also got in touch with WM-NL to discuss if they can/are
> willing to organize the event near the hackaton, since probably that
> the overlap with that event could be greater, as Sumana proposed.
> Also, Amsterdam may be a little easier to reach than Trento (I have
> been told that most of OSM developers are based in Germany or in UK).
> (I don't mean to put pressure on anybody though)
>
> In any case, we will collect some feedback in the next days and then
> you'll hear from us.
>
> > The longer time goes by without picking a date, the more likely people
> like
> > me can't come as something else will come up and then they are busy.
>
> That's right. I think that in at most an couple of weeks we will be
> able to fix some details.

Thank you!

I have no preference when or where, but sooner we know the better.

Cheers,
Katie

> Cristian

@wikimediadc / @wikidata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Quim Gil-2
(Since this is about a tech event, can we keep CCed wikitech-l only?)

>>> Anyone know if this is happening or not?  Sometime around the chapters
>>> meeting seems as good a time as any.  Or maybe attached as a few days
>>> before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.

The developers actually involved think that April it's too late. Tomasz
Finc and Max Semenik  have the lead on our end. They are also convinced
that it is better to organize it next to an existing event in order to
save organizational effort.

This leaves us with

Open Source Days, 9-10 March 2013, Copenhagen/Denmark
http://www.opensourcedays.org/

What we still miss is a confirmation of the organizers, but the event is
held in a business school full of classrooms so I don't expect any
problem. See the nice streetmap view of the building at
http://www.opensourcedays.org/2012/transport  :)

I have asked tfinc and MaxSem to forward the relevant emails so I can
catch up and confirm the venue asap. Any help from Wikimedia Denmark is
welcome, of course.

Cristian, your proposal looks very interesting and the only reason not
to take it is that the date of the chapters meeting doesn't fit with the
developers plans. Would you be open for another tech activity in another
occasion?

Also, see how different this discussion could have been if we would have
got active MediaWiki Groups in the cities mentioned, or the many place
we haven't mentioned. Go for a local group and be ready to host the next
cool hackathon in the pipeline!  :)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Ole Palnatoke Andersen-2
I have had some trouble getting the OSD people to reply, but wading into
their irc channel helped :-)

More details will follow.

Ole

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Quim Gil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> (Since this is about a tech event, can we keep CCed wikitech-l only?)
>

>  Anyone know if this is happening or not?  Sometime around the chapters
>>>>

> The developers actually involved think that April it's too late. Tomasz
> Finc and Max Semenik  have the lead on our end. They are also convinced
> that it is better to organize it next to an existing event in order to save
> organizational effort.
>
> This leaves us with
>
> Open Source Days, 9-10 March 2013, Copenhagen/Denmark
> http://www.opensourcedays.org/
>
> What we still miss is a confirmation of the organizers, but the event is
> held in a business school full of classrooms so I don't expect any problem.
> See the nice streetmap view of the building at
> http://www.opensourcedays.org/**2012/transport<http://www.opensourcedays.org/2012/transport> :)
>
> I have asked tfinc and MaxSem to forward the relevant emails so I can
> catch up and confirm the venue asap. Any help from Wikimedia Denmark is
> welcome, of course.
>

> Cristian, your proposal looks very interesting and the only reason not to
> take it is that the date of the chapters meeting doesn't fit with the
> developers plans. Would you be open for another tech activity in another
> occasion?
>
> Also, see how different this discussion could have been if we would have
> got active MediaWiki Groups in the cities mentioned, or the many place we
> haven't mentioned. Go for a local group and be ready to host the next cool
> hackathon in the pipeline!  :)
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/**wiki/Groups<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups>
>

> --
> Quim Gil
> Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/**User:Qgil<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil>

http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Tomasz Finc-2
Excellent. Were still very interested in sending some folks to this.

CC'ing MaxSem, Aude, and Tim (Kolossus) as I'd like to get them involved.

--tomasz