Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
Anyone interested for uploading pictures on WikiCommons using your Android phone? Some updates below:

Begin forwarded message:

From: Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]>
Date: 28 January 2013 1:46:21 AM IST
To: mobile-l <[hidden email]>
Subject: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available
Reply-To: [hidden email]

Hello everyone!

As you might be aware, there has been ongoing work on a Commons application for Android[1]. Hashar was awesome enough to set up automated builds of it on Jenkins - you can download the latest from:


It is currently at a state where you can upload fine (goes to testwiki), but has minor issues on pre-4.0 devices. Expect rapid work on it over the coming weeks!

_______________________________________________
Mobile-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mobile-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Niraj Suryawanshi
Thats great, wish we could have an app for blackberry devices too. the one available is just for searching articles on the net nothing special about it!
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
I can understand the frustration. As Android is open source most of the developments are going on android platforms. But there might be chances of BB apps in future ;-)

Best!
Subha

On 28-Jan-2013, at 9:13 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thats great, wish we could have an app for blackberry devices too. the one
> available is just for searching articles on the net nothing special about
> it!
>
>
>
> -----
> Regards & Thanks,
> Niraj Suryawanshi
> 8149920120 | [hidden email]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Niraj_Suryawanshi
> --
> View this message in context: http://wikimedia.7.n6.nabble.com/Fwd-WikimediaMobile-Wikimedia-Commons-android-app-nightlies-available-tp4994722p4994723.html
> Sent from the WikiMedia India mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Niraj Suryawanshi
sure :) i recently used one app available on the app store, but more or less not up to the mark, since  there is a huge lobby of people who use blackberry in and outside India would be great if we have one to make available Wikipedia handy & on the go!


Regards,

+ 91 81 49 920120 




On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Subhashish Panigrahi-4 [via Wikimedia] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can understand the frustration. As Android is open source most of the developments are going on android platforms. But there might be chances of BB apps in future ;-)

Best!
Subha

On 28-Jan-2013, at 9:13 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thats great, wish we could have an app for blackberry devices too. the one
> available is just for searching articles on the net nothing special about
> it!
>
>
>
> -----
> Regards & Thanks,
> Niraj Suryawanshi
> 8149920120 | [hidden email]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Niraj_Suryawanshi
> --
> View this message in context: http://wikimedia.7.n6.nabble.com/Fwd-WikimediaMobile-Wikimedia-Commons-android-app-nightlies-available-tp4994722p4994723.html
> Sent from the WikiMedia India mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



To unsubscribe from Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available, click here.
NAML

Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Yuvi Panda



On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure :) i recently used one app available on the app store, but more or less not up to the mark, since  there is a huge lobby of people who use blackberry in and outside India would be great if we have one to make available Wikipedia handy & on the go!



Hello! I believe that a port of the Android PhoneGap based app is what is currently available in the Blackberry store. It is an old port as well - and no new features / work are planned on that codebase anymore by the Mobile Apps team. The source code, however, is available at https://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile and I'll be glad to help people who want to contribute to it :)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Omshivaprakash | Wikimedia
Android commons was much awaited. Cool!


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]> wrote:



On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure :) i recently used one app available on the app store, but more or less not up to the mark, since  there is a huge lobby of people who use blackberry in and outside India would be great if we have one to make available Wikipedia handy & on the go!



Hello! I believe that a port of the Android PhoneGap based app is what is currently available in the Blackberry store. It is an old port as well - and no new features / work are planned on that codebase anymore by the Mobile Apps team. The source code, however, is available at https://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile and I'll be glad to help people who want to contribute to it :)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Omshivaprakash H L | ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್.ಎಲ್ | ॐ शिवप्रकाश् एच्. एल्
Kannada SIG
Wikimedia India Chapter
File:Wikimedia India logo.svg

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

BalaSundaraRaman
For a lot of us, a phone is the only accessible camera. Pretty useful.

- Sundar
 
"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."
- George Boole, quoted in Iverson's Turing Award Lecture

From: Omshivaprakash | Wikimedia <[hidden email]>
To: Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]>; Wikimedia India Community list <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Android commons was much awaited. Cool!


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]> wrote:



On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure :) i recently used one app available on the app store, but more or less not up to the mark, since  there is a huge lobby of people who use blackberry in and outside India would be great if we have one to make available Wikipedia handy & on the go!



Hello! I believe that a port of the Android PhoneGap based app is what is currently available in the Blackberry store. It is an old port as well - and no new features / work are planned on that codebase anymore by the Mobile Apps team. The source code, however, is available at https://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile and I'll be glad to help people who want to contribute to it :)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Omshivaprakash H L | ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್.ಎಲ್ | ॐ शिवप्रकाश् एच्. एल्
Kannada SIG
Wikimedia India Chapter
File:Wikimedia India logo.svg

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Niraj Suryawanshi
Well the android app will indeed serve its use for sure, thanks Yuvi,

"For a lot of us, a phone is the only accessible camera. Pretty useful." - Sundar

I'm sorry to say and my apologies too but i think, the statement made is an outcome of an orthodox thought process or merely an fear of inability of exploiting the technology to its fullest use, for today mobile phones are not merely a communication device but far more than it! and considering the future use one should forecast the power of mobile devices and platforms!
 
"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."
- George Boole, quoted in Iverson's Turing Award Lecture"

apologies again but i find this above statement very irrelevant to the subject of discussion, irrespective of the efforts taken.



Regards & Thanks, 
Niraj Suryawanshi 
8149920120 


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM, BalaSundaraRaman [via Wikimedia] <[hidden email]> wrote:
For a lot of us, a phone is the only accessible camera. Pretty useful.

- Sundar
 
"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."
- George Boole, quoted in Iverson's Turing Award Lecture

From: Omshivaprakash | Wikimedia <[hidden email]>
To: Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]>; Wikimedia India Community list <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available

Android commons was much awaited. Cool!


On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Yuvi Panda <[hidden email]> wrote:



On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
sure :) i recently used one app available on the app store, but more or less not up to the mark, since  there is a huge lobby of people who use blackberry in and outside India would be great if we have one to make available Wikipedia handy & on the go!



Hello! I believe that a port of the Android PhoneGap based app is what is currently available in the Blackberry store. It is an old port as well - and no new features / work are planned on that codebase anymore by the Mobile Apps team. The source code, however, is available at https://github.com/wikimedia/WikipediaMobile and I'll be glad to help people who want to contribute to it :)

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]

To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l




--
Omshivaprakash H L | ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್.ಎಲ್ | ॐ शिवप्रकाश् एच्. एल्
Kannada SIG
Wikimedia India Chapter
File:Wikimedia India logo.svg

_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimediaindia-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from the list / change mailing preferences visit https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l



To unsubscribe from Fwd: [WikimediaMobile] Wikimedia Commons android app nightlies available, click here.
NAML

Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com