Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

Kelly Martin-3
Comments from the peanut gallery.  I felt like forwarding this
somewhere, so I am.

Kelly

Re: Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

Sean Barrett-2

RE: Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

Steve Bennett-4
Peanut gallery to peanut gallery here:

> When most people log on they are taken to the Main Page, and the
> > ArbCom vote link should be on EVERY article, putting it on
> watchlists
> > marginalizes it, and if you have a rule that users need to
> be active
> > for a few months then their vote won't be registered regardless of
> > what page they come from. At this stage it's more important
> to educate
> > new users and the public about an important vote taking
> place within
> > Wikipedia than to have the request for MONEY on every page
> which makes
> > Wikipedia look greedy after they just raised around $300,000, don't
> > you think? Get rid of the merchandising and commercializing

I hadn't realised the ArbCom thing shows up only on the watchlist, but
it seems a very logical place for it. There is no point having newbies
or casual web surfers vote. They would have no idea what they were
voting for, let alone whom. Anyone who has a watchlist and checks it
cares at least a *little* bit about Wikipedia, and has a basic concept
of editing, and can probably understand the issues that could lead to
disputes, like (non-)ownership of pages, etc.

That said, he has a point re:fundraising. It would be more satisfying if
there *was* a fundraising goal, and if the notices were removed if that
goal were met. Fair enough if the goal *isn't* met to leave it
indefinitely.

Totally unrelated question: Where can I find out what portion of
cafepress.com merchandise goes back to Wikipedia?

Steve

Re: Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

geni
On 1/9/06, Kelly Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Comments from the peanut gallery.  I felt like forwarding this
> somewhere, so I am.
>
> Kelly

Heh the arbcom notice was briefly at the top of every page but the
people who look after site notice removed it. So I compramised on
watchlists.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

Carbonite
On 1/9/06, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Kelly Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Comments from the peanut gallery.  I felt like forwarding this
> > somewhere, so I am.
> >
> > Kelly
>
> Heh the arbcom notice was briefly at the top of every page but the
> people who look after site notice removed it. So I compramised on
> watchlists.

I also added it to Recent Changes. I think it's worth keeping the
notice there for a few days at least. Maybe add it there (and
elsewhere) again on the final day of voting.

Carbonite

On 1/9/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Totally unrelated question: Where can I find out what portion of
> cafepress.com merchandise goes back to Wikipedia?
>
> Steve

Sod all. Someone needs to find a better suplier.

--
geni

RE: Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

Peter Mackay
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of geni

> On 1/9/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Totally unrelated question: Where can I find out what portion of
> > cafepress.com merchandise goes back to Wikipedia?
> >
> > Steve
>
> Sod all. Someone needs to find a better suplier.

We had this same problem with BookCrossing.com. CafePress had a great range
and good service, but we didn't get much back. Now we have a small staff who
handle book labels, bookmarks, clothing, backpacks, all sorts of stuff.

The benefits are that "the supply store" generates most of the revenue for
the site and we can tailor our merchandise precisely to what we want, rather
than what is convenient for CafePress. The downside is that we have to have
a staff and a storeroom and an infrastructure to handle the orders from a
userbase of hundreds of thousands, even if only a few of them are active at
any one time.

Peter (Skyring)

Re: Fwd: Wikipedia e-mail: Bad decision!

Jim Cecropia
I got one too. Is this going to be a WikiChainLetter? ;-)

> Comments from the peanut gallery.  I felt like forwarding this
> somewhere, so I am.
>
> Kelly

Jay Converse
On 1/9/06, Jim Cecropia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Comments from the peanut gallery.  I felt like forwarding this
> > somewhere, so I am.
> >
> > Kelly

To address the point that was brought up in this apparent chain letter, I
happen to like what's been done about the box.  You have to admit it was a
bit annoying to have that big honking yellow box at the top of everything
you were doing.  At least we've returned to the clean site design we've all
come to know and love.

--
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.