Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

David Gerard-2

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Tomasz Ganicz
2010/2/19 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

Yes...Copyright paranoia in action... You can always copy those files
as long as they exists and simply create your private website with all
of them. I wonder who is going to sue you for copyvio in such the
case. I guess nobody...

Anyway this is indeed big question if we should delete files based on
the "0 tolerance for potential copyvio, no matter if it does make any
practical sense or was examine but someone with real copyright
knowledge" rule or rather based on "is there any probability that
someone will sue us for copyvio". Wikimedia Commons (and many other
Wikimedia projects) currently follow the "0 tolerance" approach. The
exeption is still Wikipedia-en and several other projects which still
allow fair-use.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Chad
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I know the actual logos are trademarked, but the proposals aren't. If
these are creations by Wikimedians, then hopefully they are under a
free license. They should be uploaded to Commons and organized, if
so!

-Chad

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

geni
On 20 February 2010 00:23, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know the actual logos are trademarked, but the proposals aren't. If
> these are creations by Wikimedians, then hopefully they are under a
> free license. They should be uploaded to Commons and organized, if
> so!
>
> -Chad

For the most part no. They were deliberately ot released so the the
copyright could be transferred to the foundation. Some have since been
released when they found other uses
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Example.jpg for example) but most
have not been.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

The Cunctator
Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 February 2010 00:23, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I know the actual logos are trademarked, but the proposals aren't. If
> > these are creations by Wikimedians, then hopefully they are under a
> > free license. They should be uploaded to Commons and organized, if
> > so!
> >
> > -Chad
>
> For the most part no. They were deliberately ot released so the the
> copyright could be transferred to the foundation. Some have since been
> released when they found other uses
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Example.jpg for example) but most
> have not been.
>

> --
> geni

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

KIZU Naoko
Till some moment, all updates were assumed under GFDL ... or it was
said "you agree to release your upload under GFDL with your pushing
this button" or something alike. No tagged old images could be legacy
from that era. For more details, see related mediawiki files' past
revisions.

Cheers,

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:47 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

K. Peachey
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.
Yes, but not everyone knows that and any tom, dick or harry that
randomly finds them doesn't know that, that is why they should be
clearly labelled with their source(/s), licenses(/s) and any other
appropriate information on their [the images] description pages.
Someone could even make a template saying that they are part of a
series from whatever contest that they are from.

-Peachey

On 20 February 2010 05:54, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.

Evidence?
--
geni

2010/2/20 geni <[hidden email]>:
> On 20 February 2010 05:54, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
>> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.
>
> Evidence?
> --

Evidence of what? At the beginning on all Wikipedias as well as meta
there were no license templates at all. It was just assumed that all
original content is under GNU FDL - both text and pictures. The idea
of license templates for media files was created to provide
possibility to use pictures on other free licenses and those which are
public domain. Following the copyright paranoia in such the manner you
could ask if there is any evidence that articles in Wikipedia are
legally under GNU FDL / CC-BY-SA. Do we have any evidence that users
agreed for the license conditions?  How many of them read the
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use ? And how many of
those who read Terms of Use followed the links to the licenses legal
code or at least general explanation of their practical consequences ?
In case of text content it is simply assumed with no evidence at all
that editors agreed. Moreover even if the uploader to Commons chooses
the license in upload form do we check if he/she knows and understand
its conditions? So, it is all assumed with no evidence at all.
Strange?

On 20 February 2010 19:14, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/2/20 geni <[hidden email]>:
>> On 20 February 2010 05:54, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
>>> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.
>>
>> Evidence?
>> --
>
> Evidence of what? At the beginning on all Wikipedias as well as meta
> there were no license templates at all. It was just assumed that all
> original content is under GNU FDL - both text and pictures. The idea
> of license templates for media files was created to provide
> possibility to use pictures on other free licenses and those which are
> public domain. Following the copyright paranoia in such the manner you
> could ask if there is any evidence that articles in Wikipedia are
> legally under GNU FDL / CC-BY-SA. Do we have any evidence that users
> agreed for the license conditions?  How many of them read the
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use ? And how many of
> those who read Terms of Use followed the links to the licenses legal
> code or at least general explanation of their practical consequences ?
> In case of text content it is simply assumed with no evidence at all
> that editors agreed. Moreover even if the uploader to Commons chooses
> the license in upload form do we check if he/she knows and understand
> its conditions? So, it is all assumed with no evidence at all.
> Strange?

The logo contest was specificaly non standard with copyrights not
being released so that the logo copyright could be held exclusively by
the foundation. The various wikimedia logos (except the mediawiki one)
are not under a free license.

--
geni

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Florence Devouard-3
I'll engage myself on all of them (GFDL presumed)

I am tagging the 370. Already did 200 today. Will finish the last 170 by
hand tomorrow. That's a fascinating job.

Ant

On 2/20/10 6:54 AM, The Cunctator wrote:

> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.
>
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:52 PM, geni<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 20 February 2010 00:23, Chad<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> I know the actual logos are trademarked, but the proposals aren't. If
>>> these are creations by Wikimedians, then hopefully they are under a
>>> free license. They should be uploaded to Commons and organized, if
>>> so!
>>>
>>> -Chad
>>
>> For the most part no. They were deliberately ot released so the the
>> copyright could be transferred to the foundation. Some have since been
>> released when they found other uses
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Example.jpg for example) but most
>> have not been.
>>

>> --
>> geni

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Ray Saintonge
K. Peachey wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
>> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.
>>
> Yes, but not everyone knows that and any tom, dick or harry that
> randomly finds them doesn't know that, that is why they should be
> clearly labelled with their source(/s), licenses(/s) and any other
> appropriate information on their [the images] description pages.
> Someone could even make a template saying that they are part of a
> series from whatever contest that they are from.

You're shifting the burden onto the wrong people. If the images followed
the general rule that prevailed when they were uploaded the presumption
is that they followed that rule unless there was an exception specified
*at the time*. If rules have changed since then it's up to those who
complain to add the proper notices instead of acting like vandals.
Admins who don't know that don't deserve to be admins.

Ec

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> K. Peachey wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. This is idiotic. The logo contest followed the same rules as all other
>>> submissions to Wikipedia -- they were submitted under the GFDL.
>>>
>> Yes, but not everyone knows that and any tom, dick or harry that
>> randomly finds them doesn't know that, that is why they should be
>> clearly labelled with their source(/s), licenses(/s) and any other
>> appropriate information on their [the images] description pages.
>> Someone could even make a template saying that they are part of a
>> series from whatever contest that they are from.
>>

> You're shifting the burden onto the wrong people. If the images followed
> the general rule that prevailed when they were uploaded the presumption
> is that they followed that rule unless there was an exception specified
> *at the time*. If rules have changed since then it's up to those who
> complain to add the proper notices instead of acting like vandals.
> Admins who don't know that don't deserve to be admins.
>
> Ec
And where did i say I was ever a Admin? (Personally I don't have the
sysop bit on any WMF wiki afaik)

-Peachey

Tomasz Ganicz wrote:

> Yes...Copyright paranoia in action... You can always copy those files
> as long as they exists and simply create your private website with all
> of them. I wonder who is going to sue you for copyvio in such the
> case. I guess nobody...
>
> Anyway this is indeed big question if we should delete files based on
> the "0 tolerance for potential copyvio, no matter if it does make any
> practical sense or was examine but someone with real copyright
> knowledge" rule or rather based on "is there any probability that
> someone will sue us for copyvio". Wikimedia Commons (and many other
> Wikimedia projects) currently follow the "0 tolerance" approach. The
> exeption is still Wikipedia-en and several other projects which still
> allow fair-use.

Any type of zero-tolerance leads to this kind of silliness.  Simple
errors of judgement end up being treated like major crimes.

For me the real standard for copyright is respect of others' rights,
even more than the probability of prosecution, Unfortunately, "respect"
is a very difficult yardstick to apply because for some respect is
measured by attention to copyrights while for others respect is measured
by the recognition that their otherwise obscure work still has merit in
someone else's eyes.

Users' rights were never taken into consideration in the development of
copyright laws.  They didn't matter as long as users had no technology
with which to use those rights. Thus, rights owners could develop widely
applicable laws that covered a lot of territory that was of no
consequence at that time.

"Probability that someone will sue" is an interesting idea because it
recognizes the notion that there is a probability, however
infinitissimal, that almost any event will happen. Probability allows
for the possibility of any event, like being hit by a meteorite while
standing in your own back yard, but it also allows for the overwhelming
contrary possibility. People who take a lot of drinks during a flight to
calm their fear of flying are not afraid to get into their cars and
drive away as soon as they land.

Probabilistic arguments are difficult to establish when the majority
still believes in legal certainty in the same way that it believes in God.

Ec

2010/2/20 geni <[hidden email]>:

> On 20 February 2010 19:14, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Evidence?
>>> --
>>
>> Evidence of what? At the beginning on all Wikipedias as well as meta
>> there were no license templates at all. It was just assumed that all
>> original content is under GNU FDL - both text and pictures. The idea
>> of license templates for media files was created to provide
>> possibility to use pictures on other free licenses and those which are
>> public domain. Following the copyright paranoia in such the manner you
>> could ask if there is any evidence that articles in Wikipedia are
>> legally under GNU FDL / CC-BY-SA. Do we have any evidence that users
>> agreed for the license conditions?  How many of them read the
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use ? And how many of
>> those who read Terms of Use followed the links to the licenses legal
>> code or at least general explanation of their practical consequences ?
>> In case of text content it is simply assumed with no evidence at all
>> that editors agreed. Moreover even if the uploader to Commons chooses
>> the license in upload form do we check if he/she knows and understand
>> its conditions? So, it is all assumed with no evidence at all.
>> Strange?
>
> The logo contest was specificaly non standard with copyrights not
> being released so that the logo copyright could be held exclusively by
> the foundation. The various wikimedia logos (except the mediawiki one)
> are not under a free license.

Evidence? :-) Is there any formal document of Wikimedia Foundation
Board of Trustees which says, that logo candidates are a special case
for copyright issues or it is just your assumption? If not, one can
say that at that time it was assumed on meta that everything uploaded
is under GNU FDL. Therefore we have one assumption vs. the other
assumption. The other story is if Foundation could legally revoke
assumed GNU FDL license of winning logo to register it as a trademark
and ask the author to transfer copyright exclusively to Foundation.
This is a kind of legal "Gordian Knot" :-) as one can assume that in
such a case Wikimedia logo is still under GNU FDL or it is all illegal
:-) GNU FDL cannot be canceled, it is for ever, isn't it :-)

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
http://www.ptchem.lodz.pl/en/TomaszGanicz.html

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Thomas Dalton
On 20 February 2010 22:49, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Evidence? :-) Is there any formal document of Wikimedia Foundation
> Board of Trustees which says, that logo candidates are a special case
> for copyright issues or it is just your assumption?

Why would it be a board document? Surely it would just have been said
on the pages about the contest.

K. Peachey wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> You're shifting the burden onto the wrong people. If the images followed
>> the general rule that prevailed when they were uploaded the presumption
>> is that they followed that rule unless there was an exception specified
>> *at the time*. If rules have changed since then it's up to those who
>> complain to add the proper notices instead of acting like vandals.
>> Admins who don't know that don't deserve to be admins.
>>
> And where did i say I was ever a Admin? (Personally I don't have the
> sysop bit on any WMF wiki afaik)

It would be ungracious of me to express relief on that account. :-)

My reference to admins was a generic one. A non-admin making such a
proposal would still need to have his proposal reviewed before any admin
actions were taken.

Ec

2010/2/20 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> On 20 February 2010 22:49, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Evidence? :-) Is there any formal document of Wikimedia Foundation
>> Board of Trustees which says, that logo candidates are a special case
>> for copyright issues or it is just your assumption?
>
> Why would it be a board document? Surely it would just have been said
> on the pages about the contest.

Yes.. I could buy the idea. Unfortunatelly it had not been said on the
contest page :-) The contest page does not say anything about legal
copyright issues. See:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logo_contest

So, let's follow copyright paranoia for a while. What is the finall
copyright paranoia conclusion? Do we agree with the idea, that at that
time everything uploaded was under GNU FDL or not?

2010/2/20 Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]>:

> Probabilistic arguments are difficult to establish when the majority
> still believes in legal certainty in the same way that it believes in God.

I am not quite sure what you wanted to say :-) Anyway - this cited
sentence is for me a nice expression of "0 tolerance" copyright
paranoia definition. In fact, most attorneys  say usually to their
clients that there is nothing like legal certainty as long as the
court verdict is known and being innocent does not give you 100%
probability that you won't be sentenced as guilty. Everyone can be a
suspect of committing a crime and it is just a matter of probability
that vast majority of people are not taken to jail. This is just
because the number of beds in jails is limited :-)

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
http://www.ptchem.lodz.pl/en/TomaszGanicz.html

Re: Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Anthony-73
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/2/20 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>:
> > On 20 February 2010 22:49, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Evidence? :-) Is there any formal document of Wikimedia Foundation
> >> Board of Trustees which says, that logo candidates are a special case
> >> for copyright issues or it is just your assumption?
> >
> > Why would it be a board document? Surely it would just have been said
> > on the pages about the contest.
> >

> Yes.. I could buy the idea. Unfortunatelly it had not been said on the
> contest page :-) The contest page does not say anything about legal
> copyright issues. See:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logo_contest

I can't remember if that rule got adopted after the "International logo
contest", or before it.  I do remember the rule, because I thought it was
incredibly hypocritical.

As you point out, it doesn't say anything about it on the contest page.
Contrast this with
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiktionary/logo/archive-vote-1 which says
"All logo submissions must *not* be licensed under GFDL but the copyright
must be assigned to the Wikimedia Foundation".

> Do we agree with the idea, that at that
> time everything uploaded was under GNU FDL or not?

Definitely not.  You were supposed to release uploads under the GFDL, *if
you were the copyright owner*, but not everything that was uploaded was
under GFDL.