Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Brianna Laugher

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Eugene Zelenko
Hi!

> I've converted some code we've been using into an extension for importing
> properly licensed photos from flickr into a Mediawiki installation:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ImportFreeImages
>
> It makes use of the phpFlickr package for the API calls.
>
> Feel free to play around with it here:
>
> http://wikidiy.com/mediawiki-1.8.2/index.php/Special:ImportFreeImages

It's great news! Should we bug developers to install extension on
Commons as soon as possible?

With best regards,
Eugene.

On 10/12/06, Eugene Zelenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's great news! Should we bug developers to install extension on
> Commons as soon as possible?

I don't see why not -- as long as we can control how the info is
imported (eg, to use Template:Information, and I guess some
flickrreview thing). I just tried it out and it is frankly far easier
than searching flickr!

Undoubtedly people will not realise it is installed and continue to
manually upload Flickr images, but for people who are aware of this,
it will be a huge boon. :)

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

White Cat
I do not think this is good enough to celebrate. I'd welcome a tool that would allow us to move properly licensed free images from wikipedias to commons. Now I'd celebrate then.

   - Cool Cat

On 12/10/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/12/06, Eugene Zelenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's great news! Should we bug developers to install extension on
> Commons as soon as possible?

I don't see why not -- as long as we can control how the info is
imported (eg, to use Template:Information, and I guess some
flickrreview thing). I just tried it out and it is frankly far easier
than searching flickr!

Undoubtedly people will not realise it is installed and continue to
manually upload Flickr images, but for people who are aware of this,
it will be a huge boon. :)

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Magnus Manske-2
On 12/12/06, Cool Cat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not think this is good enough to celebrate. I'd welcome a tool that
> would allow us to move properly licensed free images from wikipedias to
> commons. Now I'd celebrate then.

*ahem*

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/pushforcommons.php

(currently down due to toolserver database desaster, though)

Magnus

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Bence Damokos

> I do not think this is good enough to celebrate. I'd welcome a tool that
> would allow us to move properly licensed free images from wikipedias to
> commons. Now I'd celebrate then.

*ahem*

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/pushforcommons.php

Is there a way, to have the one-click upload feature in the ImportFreeImages extension made available in the pushforcommons as well?

-Bence

On 12/12/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I do not think this is good enough to celebrate. I'd welcome a tool that
> > would allow us to move properly licensed free images from wikipedias to
> > commons. Now I'd celebrate then.
>

> > *ahem*
> >
> > http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/pushforcommons.php
>
> Is there a way, to have the one-click upload feature in the ImportFreeImages
> extension made available in the pushforcommons as well?

PushForCommons uses CommonsHelper, which already has that option. But,
it is currently hidden, as all one-click uploads are then attributed
to a Commons upload bot. There was concern it might be abused. Now, if
there were consensus to enable this publicly, and if the toolserver
databases were back...

Magnus

On 13/12/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I do not think this is good enough to celebrate. I'd welcome a tool that
> > > would allow us to move properly licensed free images from wikipedias to
> > > commons. Now I'd celebrate then.
> >

> > > *ahem*
> > >
> > > http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/pushforcommons.php
> >
> > Is there a way, to have the one-click upload feature in the ImportFreeImages
> > extension made available in the pushforcommons as well?
>
> PushForCommons uses CommonsHelper, which already has that option. But,
> it is currently hidden, as all one-click uploads are then attributed
> to a Commons upload bot. There was concern it might be abused. Now, if
> there were consensus to enable this publicly, and if the toolserver
> databases were back...

I will continue to push very strongly that any toolserver-based tool,
which does not require any kind of Wikimiedia login, should never
allow essentially anonymous uploads to Commons, as this would. Many,
many many Wikimedia wikis have lax, nonexistent or not-inforced image
use policies. If we were to enable this all sorts of shit would be
transferred and we would have no way of even identifying who had
transferred it. All the cleanup and even no one specific to blame. ;)
Not cool.
So probably any tool like this should be part of MediaWiki. So we know
what that means, chaps: settle in for a good long wait, or else write
it yourself (and then settle back for that wait anyway...).

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Artur Fijałkowski
2006/12/13, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]>:

> > > Is there a way, to have the one-click upload feature in the ImportFreeImages
> > > extension made available in the pushforcommons as well?
> >
> > PushForCommons uses CommonsHelper, which already has that option. But,
> > it is currently hidden, as all one-click uploads are then attributed
> > to a Commons upload bot. There was concern it might be abused. Now, if
> > there were consensus to enable this publicly, and if the toolserver
> > databases were back...
>
> I will continue to push very strongly that any toolserver-based tool,
> which does not require any kind of Wikimiedia login, should never
> allow essentially anonymous uploads to Commons, as this would. Many,
> many many Wikimedia wikis have lax, nonexistent or not-inforced image
> use policies. If we were to enable this all sorts of shit would be
> transferred and we would have no way of even identifying who had
> transferred it. All the cleanup and even no one specific to blame. ;)
> Not cool.
> So probably any tool like this should be part of MediaWiki. So we know
> what that means, chaps: settle in for a good long wait, or else write
> it yourself (and then settle back for that wait anyway...).
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
> user:pfctdayelise

Sad but true - I would be same as with LonardoG, who was ''only''
moving ''free'' images from his own wiki, but we blamed him for
copyvios (I think we were 100% right).

I someone gives to everyone such toy, he MUSTto know, that he takes
responsibility for that (cause of that my IRC bot interface needs
authorization and userrights  for uploading).

AJF/WarX

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Bence Damokos
Well you could start by giving the one-click upload feature to admins on a local wiki, and maybe storing the uploaders name in a database, so it can be traced...

Bence

On 12/13/06, Artur Fijałkowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
2006/12/13, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]>:

> > > Is there a way, to have the one-click upload feature in the ImportFreeImages
> > > extension made available in the pushforcommons as well?
> >
> > PushForCommons uses CommonsHelper, which already has that option. But,
> > it is currently hidden, as all one-click uploads are then attributed
> > to a Commons upload bot. There was concern it might be abused. Now, if
> > there were consensus to enable this publicly, and if the toolserver
> > databases were back...
>
> I will continue to push very strongly that any toolserver-based tool,
> which does not require any kind of Wikimiedia login, should never
> allow essentially anonymous uploads to Commons, as this would. Many,
> many many Wikimedia wikis have lax, nonexistent or not-inforced image
> use policies. If we were to enable this all sorts of shit would be
> transferred and we would have no way of even identifying who had
> transferred it. All the cleanup and even no one specific to blame. ;)
> Not cool.
> So probably any tool like this should be part of MediaWiki. So we know
> what that means, chaps: settle in for a good long wait, or else write
> it yourself (and then settle back for that wait anyway...).
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
> user:pfctdayelise

Sad but true - I would be same as with LonardoG, who was ''only''
moving ''free'' images from his own wiki, but we blamed him for
copyvios (I think we were 100% right).

I someone gives to everyone such toy, he MUSTto know, that he takes
responsibility for that (cause of that my IRC bot interface needs
authorization and userrights  for uploading).

AJF/WarX

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Bryan Tong Minh
Is there no way you can upload using your own commons login name?

Bryan

On 12/13/06, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there no way you can upload using your own commons login name?

I already thought about extending commonshelper so it accepts commons
user name and password. The upload bot could then use that for
uploading.

Of course, any user of the tool then would have to give this
information to my tools, without knowing what else I do with that (I
won't, of course, but short of the toolserver admins, noone can
actually confirm that).

OTOH, as long as I keep it optional, would such a mechanism be acceptable?

Magnus

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

Bryan Tong Minh
To me it would be acceptable. And if it is a problem to anyone, they
can continue uploading manually :)

Bryan

On 14/12/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there no way you can upload using your own commons login name?
>
> I already thought about extending commonshelper so it accepts commons
> user name and password. The upload bot could then use that for
> uploading.
>
> Of course, any user of the tool then would have to give this
> information to my tools, without knowing what else I do with that (I
> won't, of course, but short of the toolserver admins, noone can
> actually confirm that).
>
> OTOH, as long as I keep it optional, would such a mechanism be acceptable?

Is there any other toolserver tool that requests or uses user's passwords?
I really dislike the idea. I don't think the convenience outweighs the
possible security problems and I don't think we should keep putting
bricks onto temporary solutions: obviously the function should be
performed by MediaWiki. But then, we already rely on CheckUsage, so...
sigh...

Another possibility is that we ask for upload-from-url to be enabled
on Commons. (I can't remember if it is an actual feature yet or just a
mooted one.) Then CommonsHelper could be more or less single click,
right?

It has been suggested that allowing upload-from-url will bring
torrents of copyvios. Undoubtedly it will, but we get torrents of
copyvios already. Upload-from-url should allow us to track the true
origin of images much more easily (assuming that info is made
available!). At the moment it is a lot of guesswork and hunches.

cheers
Brianna

On 12/14/06, Brianna Laugher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/12/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 12/13/06, Bryan Tong Minh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Is there no way you can upload using your own commons login name?
> >
> > I already thought about extending commonshelper so it accepts commons
> > user name and password. The upload bot could then use that for
> > uploading.
> >
> > Of course, any user of the tool then would have to give this
> > information to my tools, without knowing what else I do with that (I
> > won't, of course, but short of the toolserver admins, noone can
> > actually confirm that).
> >
> > OTOH, as long as I keep it optional, would such a mechanism be acceptable?
>
> Is there any other toolserver tool that requests or uses user's passwords?
> I really dislike the idea. I don't think the convenience outweighs the
> possible security problems and I don't think we should keep putting
> bricks onto temporary solutions: obviously the function should be
> performed by MediaWiki. But then, we already rely on CheckUsage, so...
> sigh...

Well, your password is transmitted unencrypted to through the internet
every time you log into a Wikimedia project. So, there's already risk.
The *additional* risk is in trusting me. That's everyone's decision.

> Another possibility is that we ask for upload-from-url to be enabled
> on Commons. (I can't remember if it is an actual feature yet or just a
> mooted one.) Then CommonsHelper could be more or less single click,
> right?

Yes, it is an actual feature which has to be turned on by
the-one-whose-name-we-must-not-speak, or one of his minions ;-)

No, it won't fix that problem; upload-from-url only offers a different
source (web instead of your own PC); you'll still have to give a
username and password to the script, one way or another.

> It has been suggested that allowing upload-from-url will bring
> torrents of copyvios. Undoubtedly it will, but we get torrents of
> copyvios already. Upload-from-url should allow us to track the true
> origin of images much more easily (assuming that info is made
> available!). At the moment it is a lot of guesswork and hunches.

Yes, there might be more copyvios than now, but they'll be easier to
hunt down and exterminate, and if some "violators" use this instead of
the current upload, it would reduce overall stress on the admins,
IMHO.

Magnus

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] ImportFreeImages Extension

White Cat
We need a tool that runs on wikimedia servers, not toolserv. I want to mass move an entire category (pd-old for instance). Toolserv move method creates a duplicate of the image, uses too much bandwidth and hence is not efficient. Images are already on wikipedia servers, no need to involve toolserv.

The assumption is of course that images are not copyvios. I think we should worry less about "what ifs". Eventually all images will have to be reviewed, I prefer that review being done on commons by the 'real' experts.

Of course there is the third question of potential abuse... I think such a tool should be only used by say stewards whom are trusted everywhere. We would make bulk moves from time to time only anyways.

Oh and before anyone asks, if a moved image is not free enough for commons it can always be moved back to the local project
     - Cool Cat