Fwd: linux.conf.au Call for Papers are now open

Fwd: linux.conf.au Call for Papers are now open

Brianna Laugher
Hi all,

I would not normally forward an open source conference CFP to this
list, but I think this case has particular merit. The linux.conf.au
2010 Call for Papers closes this Friday. LCA is a free software
technical conference, but one of the topics they are targeting this
year is "Free Software and Free Culture topics, including licencing
and Free and Open approaches outside software". Also, the first
announced keynote speaker is Benjamin Mako Hill, who is on the WMF's
advisory board. It's a really enjoyable full-on technical community
conference, so if a trip to the southern hemisphere in January sounds
OK by you please think about submitting a proposal. (see "Information
for speakers" http://www.lca2010.org.nz/programme/papers_info to find
out about benefits for speakers)

It's on during January 18-23 2010 in Wellington, NZ. I am going to try
and organise a meet-up the weekend before the conference.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Wellington>

cheers,
Brianna

From: linux.conf.au Announcements <[hidden email]>
Date: 2009/6/29
Subject: [lca-announce] linux.conf.au Call for Papers are now open!
To: [hidden email]

=== linux.conf.au Call For Papers ===

linux.conf.au ( http://www.lca2010.org.nz ) is pleased to announce the
opening of its Call for Papers for the coming linux.conf.au, LCA2010!

LCA2010 will be held from Monday 18 January 2010 to Saturday 23 January
2010 in Wellington, New Zealand.

linux.conf.au isn't just a Linux conference. It is a technical
conference about Free and Open Source Software, held annually in
Australasia since 2001 - covering everything from the Linux Kernel and
the BSDs to OpenOffice.org, from networking to audio-visual magic, from
hardware hacks to Creative Commons.

=== Important Dates ===

 Call for Papers opens: Monday 29 June 2009
 Call for Papers closes: Friday 24 July 2009
 Email Notifications from Papers Committee: Early September 2009
 Registrations open: Mid September 2009
 Conference Dates: Monday 18 January to Saturday 23 January 2001

=== Information on Papers ===

The LCA2010 Papers Committee is looking for a broad range of papers
spanning everything from programming and software to desktop and
userspace to community, government and education but there is one
essential:

 The core of your paper must relate to open source in some way,
 i.e., if it's a paper about software then the software has to
 be licensed under an Open Source license.

The LCA2010 Papers Committee welcome proposals for Papers on the
following topics:
   * Kernel and system topics such as filesystems and embedded devices
   * Networking topics such as peer to peer networking, or tuning a
     TCP/IP stack
   * Desktop topics such as office and productivity applications,
     mobile devices, peripherals, crypto & security and viruses and
     other malware
   * Server topics such as clusters and other supercomputers,
     databases and grid computing
   * Systems administration topics such as maintaining large numbers
     of machines and disaster recovery
   * Programming topics such as software engineering practices and
     test driven development
   * Free Software and Free Culture topics, including licencing and
     Free and Open approaches outside software
   * Free Software usage topics, including home, IT, education,
     manufacturing, research and government usage.

Most presentations and tutorials will be technical in nature, but
proposals for presentations on other aspects of Free Software and Free
Culture, such as educational and cultural aspects are welcome.

LCA2010 is pleased to invite proposals for three types of papers:
   * Presentation -  45 minutes
   * Tutorials - 1 hour and 45 minutes (short)
   * Tutorials - 3 hours and 30 minutes (long)

Presentations are 45 minute slots (including questions) that are
typically a one-way lecture from you to the audience - the typical
conference presentation.  These form the bulk of the available
conference slots.

Tutorials are either 1 hour and 45 minutes, or 3 hours and 30 minutes
in length, and work best when they are interactive or hands-on in
nature.  Tutorials are expected to have a specific learning outcome for
attendees.

To increase the number of people that can view your talk, LCA2010 may
video the talks and make them publicly available after LCA2010. When
submitting your proposal you will be asked whether materials relating
to your paper can be released under a Creative Commons ShareALike
License.

For more information, see:
http://www.lca2010.org.nz/programme/papers_info

=== About linux.conf.au ===

linux.conf.au is one of the world's best conferences for free and open
source software! The coming linux.conf.au, LCA2010, will be held at the
Wellington Convention Centre in Wellington, New Zealand from Monday 18
January to Saturday 23 January 2010. LCA2010 is fun, informal and
seriously technical, bringing together Free and Open Source developers,
users and community champions from around the world. LCA2010 is the
second time linux.conf.au has been held in New Zealand, with the first
being Dunedin in 2006.

For more information see: http://www.lca2010.org.nz/

=== About Linux Australia ===

Linux Australia is the peak body for Linux User Groups around
Australia, and as such represents approximately 5000 Australian Linux
users and developers. Linux Australia facilitates the organisation of
this international Free Software conference in a different Australasian
city each year.

For more information see: http://www.linux.org.au/

=== Emperor Penguin Sponsors ===

LCA2010 is proud to acknowledge the support of our Emperor Penguin
Sponsor, InternetNZ.

For more information see: http://www.internetnz.org.nz/

=== Papers Enquiries ===

 LCA2010 Papers Committee
 Email: [hidden email]

--
Andrew Ruthven
LCA2010 - Director

PO Box 11-682    |          linux.conf.au 2010
Manners St       | Follow the signs. Visit Wellington!
Wellington 6142  |      http://www.lca2010.org.nz
NEW ZEALAND      |

Michael Davies           "Do what you think is interesting, do something that
[hidden email]    you think is fun and worthwhile, because otherwise
http://michaeldavies.org  you won't do it well anyway." -- Brian Kernighan

http://modernthings.org/

Re: linux.conf.au Call for Papers are now open

Brianna Laugher
Hi everyone:

The linux.conf.au deadline is now on the 31 July at 0500 UTC (1700 New
Zealand time). Other times around the world can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/lca10cfp

-----------

Announcement from http://www.lca2010.org.nz/media/news/65

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Friday 24 July 2009 – The LCA2010 Organising
Committee have been overwhelmed by the numbers and quality of the papers
submitted to linux.conf.au so far!

The success of the papers so far has put us in a generous mood. So we've
decided to give all you slackers out there an extension on the Call for
Papers by one week!

Call for Papers Now Closing: Friday 31 July 2009 at 17:00 NZST

Remember, to increase your chances of acceptance, check out the Papers
Info[1] page on our website before submitting your paper.

[1] http://www.lca2010.org.nz/programme/papers_info

http://modernthings.org/