Fwd: please cease and desist from unsolicited subscriptions

Fwd: please cease and desist from unsolicited subscriptions

luke.leighton
could someone please urgently investigate this individual.

a) who is this person
b) what authority do they have
c) what links do they have to the Wikipedia Foundation

and what the heck is going on: what is this about my email address
being "added as a banned user"?  i am a long-standing contributor to
wikipedia including the strategic discussions from 2011.

l.

From: Russavia (Google Groups) <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Subject: Google Groups: You've been added to Gender Gap
To: [hidden email]

Gendergap International : Addressing gender equity and exploring ways
to increase the participation of women within international Wikimedia
projects.

About this group:

Addressing gender equity and exploring ways to increase the
participation of women within Wikimedia projects. We want to encourage
you to engage with others in this effort.

The owner of the group has set your subscription type as "Email",
meaning that you'll receive a copy of every message posted to the
group as they are posted.

Visit This Group

Start your own group, unsubscribe from this group, or stop invitations
like this. or report spam.

Re: Fwd: please cease and desist from unsolicited subscriptions

Elias Friedman
Sounds like a group intended for people with an axe to grind regarding
Wikipedia. I would pay it no mind. You also might consider setting your
Google Groups profile to not allow admins to add you to groups without your
say so.

Sent from my Droid 4
Elias Friedman A.S., CCEMT-P
אליהו מתתיהו בן צבי
[hidden email]
"יְהִי אוֹר"
On Dec 2, 2014 11:26 AM, "lkcl ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> could someone please urgently investigate this individual.
>
> a) who is this person
> b) what authority do they have
> c) what links do they have to the Wikipedia Foundation
>
> and what the heck is going on: what is this about my email address
> being "added as a banned user"?  i am a long-standing contributor to
> wikipedia including the strategic discussions from 2011.
>
> l.

> Your email ID was added as a banned user of Wikipedia who was unjustly
> banned by fascist organisers.

> > i have reported your group for net abuse due to an unsolicited
> subscription.
> >  you DO NOT have the right to subscribe people without their explicit
> > authorisation to arbitrary random mailing lists or groups.  wherever you
> got
> > my email address from you will inform me IMMEDIATELY.

geni
On 2 December 2014 at 16:25, lkcl . <[hidden email]> wrote:

> could someone please urgently investigate this individual.
>
> a) who is this person
> b) what authority do they have
> c) what links do they have to the Wikipedia Foundation

My guess is it is someone impersonating user:Russavia (banned user on
English Wikipedia so a bit outside our jurisdiction anyway) to try and
cause trouble. Certainly that isn't the email address they generally use.

Details of the actual gendergap mailing list can be found at:

The addresses of the admins again do not match those shown in the exchange

--
geni