Fwd: server-side importImages for videos?

Fwd: server-side importImages for videos?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Likewise!  :)  Online now myself.

I have a collection of freely-licensed EdX videos in webm, a few hundred short videos in all.  If we can amline uploading, we may be able to relicense much of their collection.

I hear importImages is an effective way to upload them; is this something I can do from labs? is there another way to request an import?
I have a set on a hard drive, can send you a copy; average size ranges from 200M to 1.5G per video (a ~60min class).

Ideally we would end up with
 a) an IA collection
 b) a wikisource collection (hosted on Commons)
 c) video editors updating the video descriptions w/ links to articles that might be related, and related timestamps. [as step 1 of inviting people to use in articles and... a magnus style tool :) ]

I have some video editors interested in c.  We're stuck on a+b.

SJ

--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: server-side importImages for videos?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Ach, wrong email, now corrected offlist ;)   But not entirely off-topic.
Updates once there's something to discuss.

Re: Fwd: server-side importImages for videos?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Samuel Klein via Commons-l, 22/05/2018 23:22:
> I have some video editors interested in c.  We're stuck on a+b.

I can upload these to Internet Archive. Bandwidth is not a problem for
me. If bandwidth is not a problem for you either, I can help you prepare
a CSV file for the batch upload to Internet Archive.

The most active ArchiveTeam user in uploading educational videos to the
Internet Archive is probably godane:
https://archive.org/details/godaneinbox .

Federico

Re: Fwd: server-side importImages for videos?

WikiMedia Commons mailing list
Great, thanks.  This first course is only ~25GB of files, so b/w isn't a problem yet, but it will be relevant at some point. I'll ping offlist re: csv prep

I expect these need to be two separate archival uploads for now.  But: is there a preferred workflow yet for:
  #  Batch upload to Internet Archive collection (storing original file + format, transcoding)
  % Batch migrate resulting webm to Commons, preserving link b/t IA and Commons file
?

It would be nice for the Commons descriptor to have a template for items soured from an IA collection, showing both the link to the original source and the link to IA.