GA

Ludovic Péron
Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the next general assembly ( https://members.wikimedia.ch/General_Assembly_2014 ) is scheduled to start on a Sunday morning at 9-10 am.

I've looked at train schedules, and to be honest it is far from convenient : for people from Geneva or Lugano, this means taking the train at 6:12 or 6:45 in the morning (not everyone being able or willing to book a room at the youth hostel).

The general assembly has until now be held on Saturdays and at the beginning of the afternoon. I believe we are still ahead of the meeting for the appropriate changes to be notified without much trouble. Could we not stick to this?

Ludovic

Re: GA

Estermann Beat

Dear Ludo, dear all,

I guess it would depend a lot on the side program. The prospect of an engaging side program in the afternoon may well justify an early start in the morning.

In the absence of an afternoon program, I totally agree with you: what’s the point of starting that early?

Best,

Beat

I've looked at train schedules, and to be honest it is far from convenient : for people from Geneva or Lugano, this means taking the train at 6:12 or 6:45 in the morning (not everyone being able or willing to book a room at the youth hostel).

The general assembly has until now be held on Saturdays and at the beginning of the afternoon. I believe we are still ahead of the meeting for the appropriate changes to be notified without much trouble. Could we not stick to this?

Ludovic

Re: GA

Stéphane Coillet-Matillon
Ludo raises a very valid point. If there is a side program, it is still better to have it the morning as people would do this while others would be traveling to join the afternoon AG.

2014-01-28 Estermann Beat <[hidden email]>

[...]

Ilario Valdelli
Is there a difference of timetable of trains from Saturday to Sunday?

I mean do you have to take the train around 6am because on Sundays some trains are cancelled? This may a good point.

Regards

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Ludovic Péron <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the next general assembly ( https://members.wikimedia.ch/General_Assembly_2014 ) is scheduled to start on a Sunday morning at 9-10 am.

I've looked at train schedules, and to be honest it is far from convenient : for people from Geneva or Lugano, this means taking the train at 6:12 or 6:45 in the morning (not everyone being able or willing to book a room at the youth hostel).

The general assembly has until now be held on Saturdays and at the beginning of the afternoon. I believe we are still ahead of the meeting for the appropriate changes to be notified without much trouble. Could we not stick to this?

Ludovic

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Wikipedia: Ilario
Facebook: Ilario Valdelli
Twitter: Ilario Valdelli
Linkedin: Ilario Valdelli
Skype: Ilario Valdelli

Re: GA

Stéphane Coillet-Matillon
Train schedules are the same 7/7. It is the morning General Assembly that is an issue (though, on a personal note, I too would prefer a Saturday meeting).

2014-01-28 Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>
[...]

Charles Andrès-2
Initially, the date and time were chosen to not overlap with a Zurich stammtische an to allow to have time in the afternoon for a side program (launch of a photocontest).

To my knowledge both point are no longer valid.

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chief Science Officer
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch

Le 28 janv. 2014 à 17:35, Ludovic Péron <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the next general assembly ( https://members.wikimedia.ch/General_Assembly_2014 ) is scheduled to start on a Sunday morning at 9-10 am.

I've looked at train schedules, and to be honest it is far from convenient : for people from Geneva or Lugano, this means taking the train at 6:12 or 6:45 in the morning (not everyone being able or willing to book a room at the youth hostel).

The general assembly has until now be held on Saturdays and at the beginning of the afternoon. I believe we are still ahead of the meeting for the appropriate changes to be notified without much trouble. Could we not stick to this?

Ludovic

Re: GA

Stéphane Coillet-Matillon
Ok, since there hasn't been anyone supporting the statu quo (and since there was a grand total of one (1) registered participant so far) I suggest we consider the GA to be officially  moved to Saturday, March 22nd at 2pm.

I have changed the members' wiki accordingly - I don't know how the details for lunch will play out but I'd probably be game for drinks afterwards :-)

Looking forward to seeing you!
Stephane

2014-01-28 Charles Andres <[hidden email]>:
Initially, the date and time were chosen to not overlap with a Zurich stammtische an to allow to have time in the afternoon for a side program (launch of a photocontest).

To my knowledge both point are no longer valid.

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chief Science Officer
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch
IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Le 28 janv. 2014 à 17:35, Ludovic Péron <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that the next general assembly ( https://members.wikimedia.ch/General_Assembly_2014 ) is scheduled to start on a Sunday morning at 9-10 am.

I've looked at train schedules, and to be honest it is far from convenient : for people from Geneva or Lugano, this means taking the train at 6:12 or 6:45 in the morning (not everyone being able or willing to book a room at the youth hostel).

The general assembly has until now be held on Saturdays and at the beginning of the afternoon. I believe we are still ahead of the meeting for the appropriate changes to be notified without much trouble. Could we not stick to this?

Ludovic

Re: GA

Ilario Valdelli
Hi Stephane,
In my opinion it would be better to discuss mainly because we already sent (before this discussion was opened) the invitation to all members for Sunday morning.

Regards

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Stéphane Coillet-Matillon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes Illario, that is exactly why Ludo raised the point more than 3 days ago. From the exact 5 emails that were exchanged during that time period everyone agreed Sunday was a poor choice. Also, considering there was one (1) registered participant so far, I take it that people did not exactly rush after receiving the email regarding a General Assembly taking place in another two months (I also kind of expect more reminders to be sent). :-)

Now correct me if I am wrong but Question asked + Replies + No disagreement + plenty of time = Discussion that reached a consensus

What else exactly do you have in mind? Would you be more comfortable with a full week before moving forward with the change (which is fine by me)?

Kind regards,
Stephane

2014-01-31 Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Frédéric Schütz
On 31/01/14 16:49, Stéphane Coillet-Matillon wrote:

> Ok, since there hasn't been anyone supporting the *statu quo* (and since
> there was a grand total of one (1) registered participant so far) I suggest
> we consider the GA to be officially  moved to *Saturday, March 22nd *at
> *2pm*.

At this point, I personally do not care too much. However, there is no
way we can just change the date like this; first, invitations have been
issued already, and we have a booking with the Youth hostel. Could we
change these ? I don't know; but we need more that a change on a wiki
page to do it (so I have reverted the change on the wiki for now).

F.

Re: GA

rupert THURNER-2

I d support this move for the reasons already stated by stephane and others.

Rupert

Am 31.01.2014 17:12 schrieb "Frédéric Schütz" <[hidden email]>:
On 31/01/14 16:49, Stéphane Coillet-Matillon wrote:

> Ok, since there hasn't been anyone supporting the *statu quo* (and since
> there was a grand total of one (1) registered participant so far) I suggest
> we consider the GA to be officially  moved to *Saturday, March 22nd *at
> *2pm*.

At this point, I personally do not care too much. However, there is no
way we can just change the date like this; first, invitations have been
issued already, and we have a booking with the Youth hostel. Could we
change these ? I don't know; but we need more that a change on a wiki
page to do it (so I have reverted the change on the wiki for now).

F.

Re: GA

Frédéric Schütz
As a side note, I'm in fact slightly more in favour of the Saturday, too.

My message below was really sent as the person who signed the contract
with the Youth Hostel, and while I don't remember specifically the
conditions for changing anything, I know we can not simply modify the
date in the same way as we modify a wiki.

F.

On 31/01/14 17:46, rupert THURNER wrote:

> I d support this move for the reasons already stated by stephane and others.
>
> Rupert
> Am 31.01.2014 17:12 schrieb "Frédéric Schütz" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 31/01/14 16:49, Stéphane Coillet-Matillon wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, since there hasn't been anyone supporting the *statu quo* (and since
>>> there was a grand total of one (1) registered participant so far) I
>> suggest
>>> we consider the GA to be officially  moved to *Saturday, March 22nd *at
>>> *2pm*.
>>
>> At this point, I personally do not care too much. However, there is no
>> way we can just change the date like this; first, invitations have been
>> issued already, and we have a booking with the Youth hostel. Could we
>> change these ? I don't know; but we need more that a change on a wiki
>> page to do it (so I have reverted the change on the wiki for now).
>>
>> F.

Re: GA

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 31.01.2014 21:38, schrieb Frédéric Schütz:
> As a side note, I'm in fact slightly more in favour of the Saturday, too.
>
> My message below was really sent as the person who signed the contract
> with the Youth Hostel, and while I don't remember specifically the
> conditions for changing anything, I know we can not simply modify the
> date in the same way as we modify a wiki.

as I am in discussions with the YH as well - BTW I was never told that
*THIS* contract has been signed - I wasn't even sure if we had a board
approval for renting the YH at all - I will ask them if we can move it
to Saturday.
But before I do so, please someone from the board (Frédéric?) indicate
me if we can actually move the GA without violation of bylaws,
concerning invitation etc.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: GA

Gabriel Thullen
I agree that Sunday morning is a poor time for our GA. Saturday afternoon is better, in my opinion, as long as we can change the date without too much hassle. It is important that we listen to the people who have been in contact with the Youth Hostel.

Best regards
Gabe

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch