GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

Noopur-2
Dear all,
I am extremely delighted to announce India's first (?) GLAM collaboration with a State institution in New Delhi, the capital of India. The National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (NHHM), New Delhi has approved our draft and we will soon begin a 6 month pilot project with them.
I have been corresponding with their director for over 2 months now, since the GLAMcamp in Amsterdam. After a series of conversations with the Director, Dr Ruchira Ghose, I sent in an approval and after two meetings, she sent in a revised proposal to the Ministry of Culture in India. Just two days ago, the Ministry approved this project and has also provided her a small grant to support our incidental expenses. NHHM has over 30,000 objects including pottery, textiles, metal work, paintings and more.

Goals:
  • 6 month pilot project to churn out 25 'Good Articles'.
  • Training staff and capacity building
  • Recruiting 10 new editors from art colleges to work on site for digitization/documentation
  • Make the museum a regular avenue for GLAM meets
Note: Good Articles here doesn't mean GA by en-WP standards. We intend to create at least 25 articles with substantial information. Would like your inputs on this.

Challenges:
  • Delhi has a small community, so we really need help from EVERYONE possible, local and global
  • The staff members are only comfortable with Hindi, so we'd appreciate ALL help possible from hi-WP editors
  • Biggest challenge: India is a vast country with craft traditions in millions of villages. So, at the time of acquiring, many art objects do not come with published information, documentation and references. Much of this stuff is 'word of mouth', oral traditions and stories of artisans etc. We have asked the Museum to start documenting and publishing these stories under their Publication cell BUT that will take time. Do you think using oral citations in this case would be helpful?
  • Since this is my/our first time, we will appreciate guidance on scanning, making an MoU and help creating/maintaining the project page. Can someone please help? *makes puppy face*
I apologize for this really long mail but, my next meeting with the Director is on the 14th of February when we will start our 'lead-up' program to the project.
To all the WiRs: Did you make some sort of a program schedule or a timeline that I could use?

I would love all your suggestions on this project and am *very* excited to make my own share of GLAM contributions and mistakes :) Of course, now we will also start contributing to TGIM.

Cheers,
Noopur

--
Noopur Raval
Student

Re: [cultural-partners] GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

Anirudh S. Bhati
Thank you for posting this, Noopur.  Congratulations on finding this wonderful opportunity for collaboration with the state institution.

With regard to "oral citations", you will need to see if the local Wikipedia communities accept them as sources.  On the English Wikipedia, for instance, an audio recording will get disqualified under the policy on [[WP:NOR|no original research]].  If the museum decides to document and publish information online, these sources will be regarded as [[WP:PRIMARY|primary sources]] (with limited potential for use) and not as [[WP:SECONDARY|independent and secondary]] sources which are commonly used to cite assertions within an article.

But tarry not, as the museum is a great place to get wonderful pictures and related media for articles that do not have media on them.  You should try and find out more about Liam Wyatt's work with the British Museum.  The perfect carrot for the museum would be to tell them that this exercise will help their article on Wikipedia (see e.g. [[British Museum]]), and the images taken would be featured on different Wikipedia projects (see e.g. [[Crystal skull]]).

Best,

anirudh

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Fwd: [Wikimedia-IN-PUN] [Wikimedia-in-en] GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

Anirudh S. Bhati
FYI.

Re: Fwd: [Wikimedia-IN-PUN] [Wikimedia-in-en] GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

Vickram Crishna-2

FYI.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I whole heatedly congratulate you for this real success, oral citation seem
> to be a good way of collecting sources as most of the stuff they'd be having
> will have a documented format in the minds of people which we would be
> documented only via oral citation.
>
> Subha

> On 11-Feb-2012, at 1:11 AM, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> I am extremely delighted to announce India's first (?) GLAM collaboration
> with a State institution in New Delhi, the capital of India. The National

Well done!

--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill

Re: [Wikimedia-in-mum] GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

Outofindia

Noopur

Congratulations.....Great job!

You make us proud by the professional way in whuch you have gone about achieving this milestone.

Is it possible to see a final copy of the proposal/draft to the Museum.

After the end of March, I will be able to help you in the area of handloom textiles and point you to some  experts on the subject.

Regards

Harriet

Harriet Vidyasagar

www.outofindia.net

www.womenofindia.net

INDIA: 91-99011 66276

USA: 1-301-649-2240

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Harriet,
Thank you :) I had posted the link to the final proposal. Here it is:  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crafts_Museum-Wikipedia_-_Proposal.pdf

There are more documents that we will produce as things progress. Will keep you updated. Any help would be great on this project! :)

Cheers
Noopur

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Outofindia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Noopur

Congratulations.....Great job!

You make us proud by the professional way in whuch you have gone about achieving this milestone.

Is it possible to see a final copy of the proposal/draft to the Museum.

After the end of March, I will be able to help you in the area of handloom textiles and point you to some  experts on the subject.

Regards

Harriet

Harriet Vidyasagar

www.outofindia.net

www.womenofindia.net

INDIA: 91-99011 66276

USA: <a href="tel:1-301-649-2240" value="+13016492240" target="_blank">1-301-649-2240

[...]

Sumana Harihareswara-2
On 02/10/2012 02:41 PM, Noopur wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am extremely delighted to announce India's first (?) GLAM collaboration
> with a State institution in New Delhi, the capital of India. The* National
> Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (NHHM)*, New Delhi has approved our draft
> and we will soon begin a 6 month pilot project with them.

You have my congratulations and thanks!

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Volunteer Development Coordinator

Re: GLAM-India: Wikipedia and NHHM collaboration

Sudhanwa Jogalekar
Congrats !!!

May I suggest to create QR entries also alongwith the regular GLAM work for the museum.
The could be a great start for this GLAM project and will also give real value addition to the museum.

Don't know how much efforts and technical resources will be required for the same.

Regards
-Sudhanwa

[...]

web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.