GPS/GEO API

Kevin Yang-2
Hello ,

    i am trying to develop a mobile wikipedia product which utilize the GPS data. I noticed that google maps have a button "more -> wikipedia" which will show  wikipedia articles near a specific location .  I am curious how that works?

    Any tips/answers are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: GPS/GEO API

Platonides
Kevin Yang wrote:
> Hello ,
>
>     i am trying to develop a mobile wikipedia product which utilize the
> GPS data. I noticed that google maps have a button "more -> wikipedia"
> which will show  wikipedia articles near a specific location .  I am
> curious how that works?
>
>     Any tips/answers are highly appreciated. Thanks.

Wikipedia articles are geotagted usint the template
{{coord}}<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Coord>

Google maps parses the database dumps<http://download.wikimedia.org/> to
extract the locations. It was explained on wikitech-l, see the archives.

You can also see other implementations, such as
http://toolserver.org/~dschwen/wikiminiatlas/ on the toolserver and in
general the related
tools<http://toolserver.org/~interiot/cgi-bin/tstoc?sortby=hits&tag=geo>

The mediawiki api does not expose this data, but you may contact with
para or Dschwen as to how to query their tools for your app.

Re: GPS/GEO API

Brion Vibber-3