Quantcast

GPS data shift

Gnangarra
G'day

In short the GPS location of Australia is about to be adjusted 1.5m or about 5feet I know its not as significant as the change of 1994 when it was adjusted 200m.  This shift that will alter all the GPS data held in Wikidata and alter the positioning of media files which have been  geolocated.

The question is are there any plans to bulk update all of this information, or will it rely on individual changes to be made to each piece of data.  As a secondary question do we even change the location of media files as that data is accurate to when the media was created.

​nangarra​

President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] GPS data shift

Pine W

Just wondering: would tighter integration between Wikidata and OSM help with this situation, for example, if a set of coordinates is adjusted in Wikidata then it is automatically adjusted in OSM and vice versa? Would that be a good idea?

Pine

On Oct 4, 2016 22:17, "Sam Klein" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 2:01 AM, Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> currently there is no clear indication within Wikipedia articles
> and as far as I can tell within Wikidata as to both what *datum* and what
> *version* any particular coordinate relates to, there is no guarantee that
> any particular coordinate would be any more correct than it was before.

This definitely should be fixed on the wikidata side.  Whether article
editors are savvy enough to know and enter this data is another question;
but at least the geotemplates should have fields for it and you can assume
that if those are empty some {person/bot hybrid} that understands that
nuance should fill them in.

~S