GSoC' 19 project idea ( proposal)

K. Kaushik Reddy
Hi team,

This is Kaushik Reddy.
After a long work, I would like to introduce you to my idea proposal for
the (Wikimedia) GSoC '19.
Here is it:
1) Building an animation to dynamically create popups overlapped on a
geographical map using a real-time API from Wikimedia.

I had found the root of this in here( I have gone through it a bit):

https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Data

I would like to work on this idea, this summer. Hope any mentor would join
to guide me . Also, feel free to comment on this.

With regards,
Kaushik.

Re: GSoC' 19 project idea ( proposal)

Srishti Sethi
Hello Kaushik,

It is hard to tell from your email what your project is about, how you are
going to develop it, why is it important for Wikimedia, etc.

As you are looking for someone who could mentor on your proposed idea, it
might be helpful if you could provide more details to have further
discussion with them.

Mentoring organization results will be announced on Feb 26th. In the
meanwhile, you can read a few good proposals linked from Step 8 here
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Participants#Application_process_steps,
and if Wikimedia gets accepted, you can write a proposal following the
instructions in Step 9.

The initial draft proposal does not necessarily need to be polished but
contain key details!

Cheers,
Srishti

*Srishti Sethi*
Developer Advocate

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:27 PM K. Kaushik Reddy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> This is Kaushik Reddy.
> After a long work, I would like to introduce you to my idea proposal for
> the (Wikimedia) GSoC '19.
> Here is it:
> 1) Building an animation to dynamically create popups overlapped on a
> geographical map using a real-time API from Wikimedia.
>
> I had found the root of this in here( I have gone through it a bit):
>
> https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Data
>

> I would like to work on this idea, this summer. Hope any mentor would join
> to guide me . Also, feel free to comment on this.
>
> With regards,
> Kaushik.

Re: GSoC' 19 project idea ( proposal)

Andrew Lih
Hi, actually that Research:Data page seems stale. It says:

"Wikimedia broadcasts every change to every Wikimedia wiki using the
Socket.IO protocol," whereas the current preferred way is to use SSE. You
should take a look at: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/EventStreams

I recently created a web app to visualize live Wikidata edits to artworks
by watching EventStreams, so feel free to ping me if you have any questions
or want to build off that.

-Andrew

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 12:27 AM K. Kaushik Reddy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> This is Kaushik Reddy.
> After a long work, I would like to introduce you to my idea proposal for
> the (Wikimedia) GSoC '19.
> Here is it:
> 1) Building an animation to dynamically create popups overlapped on a
> geographical map using a real-time API from Wikimedia.
>
> I had found the root of this in here( I have gone through it a bit):
>
> https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Data
>

> I would like to work on this idea, this summer. Hope any mentor would join
> to guide me . Also, feel free to comment on this.
>
> With regards,
> Kaushik.

-Andrew Lih
Author of The Wikipedia Revolution
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
Previously: professor of journalism and communications, American
University, Columbia University, USC
---
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: https://muckrack.com/fuzheado