Gender gap statistics

fn

Gender gap statistics

fn
(sorry for cross-posting on wiki-research and wikidata)

For an event, I am trying for find statistics about the gender gap. At
one point there was a nice website with some information. Now it seems
to be gone.

https://denelezh.dicare.org/gender-gap.php

redirects to https://wdcm.wmflabs.org/WDCM_BiasesDashboard/ but I get
"502 Bad Gateway"

For http://whgi.wmflabs.org/gender-by-date-of-birth.html I see changes
statistics on a web page. (when I view this page it seems as if the CSS
is missing)

I have trying Wikidata Query Service. I have a few results here:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Fnielsen/Gender

The bad news is that more complex SPARQL queries time out, e.g. Persons
across Wikipedias and genders, - I can only do it on Wikisource and
Wikiquote.

For instance, I find the ratio of female biographies on the Danish
Wikipedia to be 17.2% compared to the total number of biographies. It
would be interesting to know how this number compares with other
Wikipedias. If I include Wikipedia as a parameter in the SPARQL query it
times out. (Writing a script could possibly solve it).

For WHGI, I see som CSV files. For instance,
https://figshare.com/articles/Wikidata_Human_Gender_Indicators/3100903
It reports 9447 and 51774 for women and men, respectively. My SPARQL
query does not give these values...

Do we have updated statistics on contributor gender, particularly for
Danish Wikipedia? I know we have some papers on gender and Wikipedia,
see https://tools.wmflabs.org/scholia/topic/Q17002416
"Gender Markers in Wikipedia Usernames" displays 4,6% or 1.2% for
females, while "The Wikipedia Gender Gap Revisited: Characterizing
Survey Response Bias with Propensity Score Estimation" estimates up to
23%. The old UNU survey
https://web.archive.org/web/20110728182835/http://www.wikipediastudy.org/docs/Wikipedia_Overview_15March2010-FINAL.pdf
seems not to do gender statistics per Wikipedia.

https://stats.wikimedia.org seems not to have any gender statistics.

--
Finn Årup Nielsen
http://people.compute.dtu.dk/faan/

Re: [Wikidata] Gender gap statistics

Jane Darnell
The Dutch chapter WMNL has budgetted surveys to check %female contributors
and so far I believe we have measured 6%, 10% and 11% female (not all in
that timeline order, sadly). According to WHIGI the dawiki %female
biography ratio is higher than nlwiki by .1%. The nlwiki bio ratio for
women is just over 17% due mostly to lots of female athletes. We have a
huge number of historical men from older sources, but our ratio born after
1950 is still pretty low compared to lots of other wikis. Biggest problem
is lack of birthdates for women due to BLP concerns I suppose. So the data
is incomplete as well.