General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Manuel Schneider-3
Dear all,

thanks for the General Assembly today. It was a quite lively meeting but
also in a positive sense, better than to just nod off everything. I am
writing this as a long-term member, not staff.

Thanks for all the board candidates and Matina for her past work!

Suggestions for the next time:

* get a facilitator who chairs the meeting - somebody with a strong
voice, a clear mind concerning the procedures (clear voting
announcements etc.) and who does not have to follow the topics and own
agenda at the same time

* print the auditor's report as part of the financial report

* print the last year's budget (planned, revised, actual) and current
budget (planned, revised)

After the meeting a notebook power adapter was left. I assume somebody
from us forgot it. Please contact me, I have it.

Regards and thanks,

Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Patrick Kenel
Dear Manuel, dear all

Thank you! It was indeed a lively meeting. It prooved that about a tenth of all WMCH are really active in a positive, democratic sense.  That's a good sign for the chapter and something that both the Board and our dedicated staff can be happy about. In the end, the Board can be blamed for having badly prepared the point about the bylaws modifications. It's now our task to correctly continue the process with the different language versions, and most importantly, the vote of the members in mind. The rest of the General Assembly was less agitated. I especially hope that our annual reports left a good impression and enthuasism for the future. Plus: I would like to add that bylaws modifications aren't necessarily a topic that needs to be treated at each GA.

I understand Manuel's suggestion for a facilitator, but it's too early to comment on it right now. I may do so after consultations with my Board colleagues. I'm looking forward to any other suggestions that attendees of yesterday's GA might have.

I also want to thank Matina for her past year as a Board member. Her contributions, notably regarding the bylaw modifications, were controversial in one sense, but also very valuable in the other.

Sorry to Micha and Emanuel who have both prepared a presentation which had to be cancelled at the end of the GA. Emoji

BTW: The power adapter is mine. I later returned to the YH where I was told that it wasn't there, and that someone else might have taken it. So, thanks for the information and for sending it to me, Manuel.

Regards,

Patrick Kenel
~~~~
www.wikimedia.ch

> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 22:04:25 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimediach-l] General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter
>
> Dear all,
>
> thanks for the General Assembly today. It was a quite lively meeting but
> also in a positive sense, better than to just nod off everything. I am
> writing this as a long-term member, not staff.
>
> Thanks for all the board candidates and Matina for her past work!
>
> Suggestions for the next time:
>
> * get a facilitator who chairs the meeting - somebody with a strong
> voice, a clear mind concerning the procedures (clear voting
> announcements etc.) and who does not have to follow the topics and own
> agenda at the same time
>
> * print the auditor's report as part of the financial report
>
> * print the last year's budget (planned, revised, actual) and current
> budget (planned, revised)
>
> After the meeting a notebook power adapter was left. I assume somebody
> from us forgot it. Please contact me, I have it.
>
> Regards and thanks,
>

> Manuel
> --
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Emmanuel Engelhart-4
Le 23/03/2014 22:04, Manuel Schneider a écrit :

> Suggestions for the next time:
>
> * get a facilitator who chairs the meeting - somebody with a strong
> voice, a clear mind concerning the procedures (clear voting
> announcements etc.) and who does not have to follow the topics and own
> agenda at the same time
>
> * print the auditor's report as part of the financial report
>
> * print the last year's budget (planned, revised, actual) and current
> budget (planned, revised)

Agree, in addition:

* Staff should respect a "duty of discretion" (although on Sunday the
help was unfortunately necessary to get out of the chaos) in general an
in the GA in particularly.

* Board members should better be correctly dressed and looking at the
attendance instead of geeking with their notebook/smartphone (heard in
the attendance)

Emmanuel
--
Volunteer
Technology, GLAM, Trainings

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Andreas Bürki
Dear all

Am 25.03.2014 11:00, schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:
> Le 23/03/2014 22:04, Manuel Schneider a écrit :
>> Suggestions for the next time:
>>
>> * get a facilitator who chairs the meeting - somebody with a strong
>> voice, a clear mind concerning the procedures (clear voting
>> announcements etc.) and who does not have to follow the topics and own
>> agenda at the same time

This might be by election out of the attending Members as Chairman of
the meeting (Tagespräsident) at the beginning of an AGM/SGM

>> * print the auditor's report as part of the financial report
>>
>> * print the last year's budget (planned, revised, actual) and current
>> budget (planned, revised)

Let's assume, I would be interested to become an association Member (no,
I'm not an association dude) and would like to know more about your
activities. Unfortunately I couldn't find the former AGM reports and
financial statements on:

https://www.wikimedia.ch :-(

Just my 2 cents...

Andreas

> Agree, in addition:
>
> * Staff should respect a "duty of discretion" (although on Sunday the
> help was unfortunately necessary to get out of the chaos) in general an
> in the GA in particularly.
>
> * Board members should better be correctly dressed and looking at the
> attendance instead of geeking with their notebook/smartphone (heard in
> the attendance)

BTW, do you have an association Members private email list? ;-)

--

Andreas Bürki

[hidden email]
S/MIME certificate - SHA1 fingerprint:
ED:A5:F3:60:70:8B:4C:16:44:18:96:AE:67:B9:CA:77:AE:DA:83:11
GnuPG - GPG fingerprint:
5DA7 5F48 25BD D2D7 E488 05DF 5A99 A321 7E42 0227

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Charles Andrès-2

But it's true than the donation section is not the most obvious place to find it, actually it's related that 99,9% if the visitor of the website are Wikipedia donors, that's why the information are in this section.

WMCH had a private member's list in the past, but it was only for official announce for the members and has been replaced by the CRM tools.

cheers

Charles
Charles ANDRES, Chief Science Officer
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch

Am 25.03.2014 11:41, schrieb Charles Andres:

> The report are here https://www.wikimedia.ch/donate/official-reports

dumb me :-( - Thank you!

> But it's true than the donation section is not the most obvious place to
> find it, actually it's related that 99,9% if the visitor of the website
> are Wikipedia donors, that's why the information are in this section.

Understood. I was simply expecting (beside bylaws etc.) something like:

If it's not a big deal, maybe a link from The Association to
/donate/official-reports would add some user friendliness ?

cheeers, Andreas

Am 25.03.2014 11:23, schrieb Andreas Bürki:
> This might be by election out of the attending Members as Chairman of
> the meeting (Tagespräsident) at the beginning of an AGM/SGM

yes, but never forget that in bigger organisations with more complex
discussions it is often just useful to have

a) a professional facilitator who has the means to keep the order of
business even in a heated debate and

b) someone that is neutral and not part of the discussion

Within several associations I made very good experiences with having a
facilitator. It makes it also easier for the members in charge to focus
on the discussion itself and not on the list of people raising hands etc.

Of course this is just a suggestion, up to the board to decide.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Charles Andrès-2
Definitively, I will check how we can do that!

<[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
S/MIME certificate - SHA1 fingerprint:
ED:A5:F3:60:70:8B:4C:16:44:18:96:AE:67:B9:CA:77:AE:DA:83:11
GnuPG - GPG fingerprint:
5DA7 5F48 25BD D2D7 E488 05DF 5A99 A321 7E42 0227

Andreas Bürki

[hidden email]
S/MIME certificate - SHA1 fingerprint:
ED:A5:F3:60:70:8B:4C:16:44:18:96:AE:67:B9:CA:77:AE:DA:83:11
GnuPG - GPG fingerprint:
5DA7 5F48 25BD D2D7 E488 05DF 5A99 A321 7E42 0227

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 25.03.2014 11:00, schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:
> * Staff should respect a "duty of discretion" (although on Sunday the
> help was unfortunately necessary to get out of the chaos) in general an
> in the GA in particularly.

I agree with that and I tried to stay out of discussions as far as
possible. In case of problematic votes I abstain.
On Sunday at some point I just felt that I should step in because I had
a plan how to solve the discussion going in circles. I appologize should
someone got the impression that I was pushing for certain opinion.

Note that I am a founding member of Wikimedia CH, already involved with
the association when it didn't yet exist, by facilitating the bylaw
creation process and doing the translations between german / english.
Today I am considered to be part of the staff, which is why I try to
stay away from internal politics as described above, but in fact as a
part-time contractor in charge of IT and working off-site I am generally
not in touch of any politics anyway.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Gabriel Thullen
A professional facilitator would be a good thing. The president will remain nominally "in charge" of the GA, the facilitator is there to make sure things stay on track, to manage discussions and the timetable. It is a good solution for everybody, especially for the president who no longer needs to worry about details and can concentrate on the real issues.

Gabe

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Patrick Kenel
Dear all,

Thank you for continuing the discussions here. I'm preparing a statement with explanations about the situation of the WMCH Board, but will most likely publish it on another thread.

> Within several associations I made very good experiences with having a
> facilitator. It makes it also easier for the members in charge to focus
> on the discussion itself and not on the list of people raising hands etc.

It's something to be considered, although I'm not going into details before deeper consultations. Just this: The use of the flipchart, which was there in the room, could have been helpful to focus the discussion. But when you're in the middle of a heated debate, you can't think about easy devices...

Patrick Kenel
~~~~
www.wikimedia.ch

> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:40:51 +0100

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimediach-l] General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter
>
> Am 25.03.2014 11:23, schrieb Andreas Bürki:
> > This might be by election out of the attending Members as Chairman of
> > the meeting (Tagespräsident) at the beginning of an AGM/SGM
>
> yes, but never forget that in bigger organisations with more complex
> discussions it is often just useful to have
>
> a) a professional facilitator who has the means to keep the order of
> business even in a heated debate and
>
> b) someone that is neutral and not part of the discussion
>
> Within several associations I made very good experiences with having a
> facilitator. It makes it also easier for the members in charge to focus
> on the discussion itself and not on the list of people raising hands etc.
>
> Of course this is just a suggestion, up to the board to decide.
>

> /Manuel
> --
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Ilario Valdelli
Anyway I would thank you for everything was good.

Like the participation of members, their involvement in the discussion and their good approach to the Assembly (and why not also for their patience).

It was very nice to meet new people and also old ones.

Thank you

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Wikipedia: Ilario
Facebook: Ilario Valdelli
Twitter: Ilario Valdelli
Linkedin: Ilario Valdelli
Skype: Ilario Valdelli

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

Ilario Valdelli
There is the duty of discretion but there is also the freedom of speech.

Anything said to clarify a problem or an history is freedom of speech (as usual in any assembly).

Mainly for bylaws the question was: "Why this clause has been included?", an answer is mandatory.

Regards

Am <a href="tel:25.03.2014%2011" value="+12503201411">25.03.2014 11:00, schrieb Emmanuel Engelhart:
> * Staff should respect a "duty of discretion" (although on Sunday the
> help was unfortunately necessary to get out of the chaos) in general an
> in the GA in particularly.

I agree with that and I tried to stay out of discussions as far as
possible. In case of problematic votes I abstain.
On Sunday at some point I just felt that I should step in because I had
a plan how to solve the discussion going in circles. I appologize should
someone got the impression that I was pushing for certain opinion.

Note that I am a founding member of Wikimedia CH, already involved with
the association when it didn't yet exist, by facilitating the bylaw
creation process and doing the translations between german / english.
Today I am considered to be part of the staff, which is why I try to
stay away from internal politics as described above, but in fact as a
part-time contractor in charge of IT and working off-site I am generally
not in touch of any politics anyway.

/Manuel
Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Wikipedia: Ilario
Facebook: Ilario Valdelli
Twitter: Ilario Valdelli
Linkedin: Ilario Valdelli
Skype: Ilario Valdelli

Re: General Assembly today - Thanks and lost power adapter

rupert THURNER-2

I think it is sufficient to split the duties, just like it is nice to have a timekeeper in even small meetings, who looks after the agenda. If we start having professionals for every task we loose our unique selling point of beeing a volunteer organization which lets people grow on tasks, and is able to deal with weak points of participating people.

Rupert

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%2034066-22" value="+41213406622" target="_blank">+41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch