Generic maintenance notice

Redaktor/פוילישער
I have just seen the generic maintenance notice come up in yiwiki.
Unfortunately it links to the English landing page, although a valid yi translation of the landing page is available.

How do we fix this?

Percy

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Thehelpfulone

On 25 April 2012 19:50, Redaktor/פוילישער <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have just seen the generic maintenance notice come up in yiwiki.
Unfortunately it links to the English landing page, although a valid yi translation of the landing page is available.

How do we fix this?

Percy

Hi Percy,

The actual link is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Mylanguage/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice which means that if your language is set as English, it will be inEnglish, whilst if you have set your language to be Yiddish (through Special:Preferences), then it will redirect you to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice/yi.

I hope this answers your question adequately.
--
Thehelpfulone
Meta-Wiki Administrator

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/4/25 Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]>:

> On 25 April 2012 19:50, Redaktor/פוילישער <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have just seen the generic maintenance notice come up in yiwiki.
>> Unfortunately it links to the English landing page, although a valid yi
>> translation of the landing page is available.
>>
>> How do we fix this?
>>
>> Percy
>

> Hi Percy,
>
> The actual link
> is https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Mylanguage/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice which
> means that if your language is set as English, it will be inEnglish, whilst
> if you have set your language to be Yiddish (through Special:Preferences),
> then it will redirect you
> to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice/yi.
>
> I hope this answers your question adequately.

I think that Percy is trying to ask how to translate that message to
Yiddish. Currently you'll see it in English even if your interface
language is Yiddish. It interests me, too.

I suppose that it can be translated in the CentralNotice interface,
but it's incredibly confusing and i prefer to use only in extreme
cases, and in any case, it cannot be used by everybody. Is there a
proper page for translating this important banner? I couldn't find
anything like it.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Amir E. Aharoni, 25/04/2012 22:08:
> I think that Percy is trying to ask how to translate that message to
> Yiddish. Currently you'll see it in English even if your interface
> language is Yiddish. It interests me, too.
>
> I suppose that it can be translated in the CentralNotice interface,
> but it's incredibly confusing and i prefer to use only in extreme
> cases, and in any case, it cannot be used by everybody. Is there a
> proper page for translating this important banner? I couldn't find
> anything like it.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Generic_maintenance_notice#yi
but it says it's published, isn't it?
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=Genericmaintenancenotice&wpUserLanguage=yi>

Nemo

2012/4/25 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:

> Amir E. Aharoni, 25/04/2012 22:08:
>
>> I think that Percy is trying to ask how to translate that message to
>> Yiddish. Currently you'll see it in English even if your interface
>> language is Yiddish. It interests me, too.
>>
>> I suppose that it can be translated in the CentralNotice interface,
>> but it's incredibly confusing and i prefer to use only in extreme
>> cases, and in any case, it cannot be used by everybody. Is there a
>> proper page for translating this important banner? I couldn't find
>> anything like it.
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Generic_maintenance_notice#yi
> but it says it's published, isn't it?
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=Genericmaintenancenotice&wpUserLanguage=yi>

Something here is really weird, because the name of the page refers to
a "Generic maintenance notice" and this is a notice about Terms of
use.

The current translations to Yiddish and to many other languages refer
to technical maintenance and not to Terms of use.

--
Amir

On 25 April 2012 21:27, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

Something here is really weird, because the name of the page refers to
a "Generic maintenance notice" and this is a notice about Terms of
use.

The current translations to Yiddish and to many other languages refer
to technical maintenance and not to Terms of use.

It's the generic maintenance notice as that's what the operations staff (RobLa) activated as they were actually doing some maintenance today for a short while.
--
Thehelpfulone
English Wikipedia Administrator

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/4/25 Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]>:

> On 25 April 2012 21:27, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Something here is really weird, because the name of the page refers to
>> a "Generic maintenance notice" and this is a notice about Terms of
>> use.
>>
>> The current translations to Yiddish and to many other languages refer
>> to technical maintenance and not to Terms of use.
>

> It's the generic maintenance notice as that's what the operations staff
> (RobLa) activated as they were actually doing some maintenance today for a
> short while.

The translations to Russian and Spanish are correct and refer to Terms
of Use, but i cannot find where they were made. If they were made only
directly on Special:CentralNotice, then it's not the way that it
should be done.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Generic maintenance notice

James Alexander-4
As far as I can tell all of the terms of use translations are correct and linking to the right place. http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=TOU_top&wpUserLanguage=all (there is no Yiddish one) The maintenance messages were just sharing space up until 40 minutes ago.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/4/25 Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]>:
> On 25 April 2012 21:27, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Something here is really weird, because the name of the page refers to
>> a "Generic maintenance notice" and this is a notice about Terms of
>> use.
>>
>> The current translations to Yiddish and to many other languages refer
>> to technical maintenance and not to Terms of use.
>

> It's the generic maintenance notice as that's what the operations staff
> (RobLa) activated as they were actually doing some maintenance today for a
> short while.

The translations to Russian and Spanish are correct and refer to Terms
of Use, but i cannot find where they were made. If they were made only
directly on Special:CentralNotice, then it's not the way that it
should be done.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Philippe Beaudette-3
Amir,

Steps to reproduce, please?

pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

2012/4/25 James Alexander <[hidden email]>:
> As far as I can tell all of the terms of use translations are correct and
> linking to the right place.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=TOU_top&wpUserLanguage=all
> (there is no Yiddish one) The maintenance messages were just sharing space
> up until 40 minutes ago.

Yes, but how to add new ones?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Amir E. Aharoni, 25/04/2012 22:27:
> Something here is really weird, because the name of the page refers to
> a "Generic maintenance notice" and this is a notice about Terms of
> use.
>
> The current translations to Yiddish and to many other languages refer
> to technical maintenance and not to Terms of use.

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=TOU_top&wpUserLanguage=all>
There are no translations of this banner in yi. I currently see an
English message on yi.wiki, which isn't nice (I'd rather disable them
all) but is technically correct. I suppose the WMF is going to ask for
translations soon.
I don't knwo where the "Generic maintenance notice" comes from, maybe a
misunderstanding or some caching problem.

Nemo

Re: Generic maintenance notice

James Alexander-4
I do not think there is a special "spot" if you have new translations I'd just add them (rather then putting them in to Spot A that then just needs to be copy and pasted into CN anyway). Barring that you could probably add them to Philippe's talk page and I'm sure he or another admin would be happy to add them.

James

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/4/25 James Alexander <[hidden email]>:
> As far as I can tell all of the terms of use translations are correct and
> linking to the right place.
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=TOU_top&wpUserLanguage=all
> (there is no Yiddish one) The maintenance messages were just sharing space
> up until 40 minutes ago.

Yes, but how to add new ones?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Philippe Beaudette, 25/04/2012 22:44:
> Amir,
>
> Steps to reproduce, please?

1) Look for a TR on the new terms of use banner on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/TR
2) Check better on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/CentralNotice
3) Find none.

But this isn't what the OP was complaining about.

Nemo

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/4/25 James Alexander <[hidden email]>:
> I do not think there is a special "spot" if you have new translations I'd
> just add them (rather then putting them in to Spot A that then just needs to
> be copy and pasted into CN anyway). Barring that you could probably add them
> to Philippe's talk page and I'm sure he or another admin would be happy to
> add them.

What's "Spot A"? (CentralNotice lingo?)

There are two ways to do translations on meta: the old way - by
translating wiki pages, and the new way - using Special:Translate.

The "Terms of use" message is completely new and should be properly
translated using one of these ways. I prefer Special:Translate, of
course.

Putting translations on Philippe's talk page sounds like going years back.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Generic maintenance notice

James Alexander-4
I'm saying that at the moment they are not being translated in either way. At this point I don't think that's bad because either way just creates more work. By "Spot A" I meant somewhere OTHER then the CN system. Whether we translate the banners via the old method, via Special:Translate or via talk page messages to Philippe we still have to copy and paste the messages into CN manually for them to actually get published.

I recommended Philippe's talk page if you did not want to post it into the system yourself because it required the least set up (compared to the old way or Special:Translate) and that seemed to be the most efficient right now.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/4/25 James Alexander <[hidden email]>:
> I do not think there is a special "spot" if you have new translations I'd
> just add them (rather then putting them in to Spot A that then just needs to
> be copy and pasted into CN anyway). Barring that you could probably add them
> to Philippe's talk page and I'm sure he or another admin would be happy to
> add them.

What's "Spot A"? (CentralNotice lingo?)

There are two ways to do translations on meta: the old way - by
translating wiki pages, and the new way - using Special:Translate.

The "Terms of use" message is completely new and should be properly
translated using one of these ways. I prefer Special:Translate, of
course.

Putting translations on Philippe's talk page sounds like going years back.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Amir E. Aharoni
2012/4/25 James Alexander <[hidden email]>:
> I'm saying that at the moment they are not being translated in either way.
> At this point I don't think that's bad

That is bad because lots and lots of users see messages in a language
they don't know. (And users of RTL projects also see them with broken
punctuation.)

Why were these banners enabled before proper translation?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Philippe Beaudette-3
Because there is a total lack of documented processes to tell people how to do this correctly.

___________________

Amir wrote:

I think that Percy is trying to ask how to translate that message to
Yiddish. Currently you'll see it in English even if your interface
language is Yiddish. It interests me, too.

I suppose that it can be translated in the CentralNotice interface,
but it's incredibly confusing and i prefer to use only in extreme
cases, and in any case, it cannot be used by everybody. Is there a
proper page for translating this important banner? I couldn't find
anything like it.

The notice and the landing page have both been translated.

I did see the notice in Yiddish—no problem.

But the link took me to the English landing page

PM

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Redaktor/פוילישער
That is precisely my point.
My language is set to Yiddish, but I arrived at the English landing page.

PM

On 25 Apr 2012, at 9:00, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi Percy,

The actual link is
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Mylanguage/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice
which
means that if your language is set as English, it will be inEnglish, whilst
if you have set your language to be Yiddish (through Special:Preferences),
then it will redirect you to
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_maintenance_notice/yi.

I hope this answers your question adequately.
--
Thehelpfulone
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone
Meta-Wiki Administrator

Re: Generic maintenance notice

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Philippe Beaudette, 25/04/2012 23:04:
> Because there is a total lack of documented processes to tell people how
> to do this correctly.

«target only needed languages and absolutely don't show banners in
languages different from the users'»
«the coder and most of all the implementing admin can be searched by the
promoter with a simple request if needed.»
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Usage_guidelines

Nemo