Geonotices

HJ Mitchell
Hi all,

I'd be grateful if any enwiki admins could add themselves to the list at the bottom of http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events/Geonotices.

Geonotices for some events have been a bit hap hazard lately, with some going up at very short notice. I don't think every event or meetup needs a geonotice, but I'm hoping to use that page to track our use of them and to provide somewhere for folks to make uncontroversial requests for one that will hopefully get a faster response than the existing mechanisms on enwiki, as well as a list of admins who can be bugged for urgent requests.

Don't worry, it doesn't involve anything too much like work - if anyone organises an event they want to bring to the attention of the wider WP community, they can list it there, and somebody will hopefully sort it.

Cheers,
Harry

(PS, if there are any enwiki admins who don't know how to put up a geonotice, just copy and paste from this diff and change the message to the message you want, the start date to the current date and time, and the end date to the day of the event!)

Re: Geonotices

Andy Mabbett-2
On 2 March 2012 01:17, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Geonotices]

> (PS, if there are any enwiki admins who don't know how to put up a
> geonotice, just copy and paste from this diff and change the message to the
> message you want, the start date to the current date and time, and the end
> date to the day of the event!)

I don't do javscript, but it looks like it should be trivially easy to
add an hCalendar microformat:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hCalendar

to that, to make the events downloadable as iCal files.

Could you or anyone work with me on that?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Geonotices

HJ Mitchell
I'm afraid I'd be *way* out of my depth on anything like that. Sorry.

Harry

On 2 March 2012 01:17, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Geonotices]

> (PS, if there are any enwiki admins who don't know how to put up a
> geonotice, just copy and paste from this diff and change the message to the
> message you want, the start date to the current date and time, and the end
> date to the day of the event!)

I don't do javscript, but it looks like it should be trivially easy to
add an hCalendar microformat:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hCalendar

to that, to make the events downloadable as iCal files.

Could you or anyone work with me on that?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Geonotices

Richard Symonds-3
I believe Fae has made a template for something similar which we use on the London Wikimeet pages....

On 02/03/2012 09:53, HJ Mitchell wrote:
I'm afraid I'd be *way* out of my depth on anything like that. Sorry.

Harry

On 2 March 2012 01:17, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Geonotices]

> (PS, if there are any enwiki admins who don't know how to put up a
> geonotice, just copy and paste from this diff and change the message to the
> message you want, the start date to the current date and time, and the end
> date to the day of the event!)

I don't do javscript, but it looks like it should be trivially easy to
add an hCalendar microformat:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hCalendar

to that, to make the events downloadable as iCal files.

Could you or anyone work with me on that?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0991
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,

Re: Geonotices

Andy Mabbett-2
No worries; I've asked on:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_talk:Geonotice.js

A.

On 2 March 2012 09:53, HJ Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm afraid I'd be *way* out of my depth on anything like that. Sorry.
>
> Harry

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk