Gerrit #84744: Disable type enforcement for properties with names equal to type names

Gerrit #84744: Disable type enforcement for properties with names equal to type names

vitalif
Hi!

It seems the discussion in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/84744/ is
slowed down, so maybe we'll discuss it here?

The full history is that I've recently discovered a strange SMW
behavior - type-named properties with enforced type. I.e. property named
"email" ALWAYS has email type, and you cannot override it. Markus said
it was done for some sort of backwards compatibility (details are in
gerrit), and I think it's an unevident behaviour, so I still think it
should be disabled...

To not break things with disabling this "feature" I suggest creating a
maintenance script (run as part of update.php) which will look for usage
of type-named properties and create them with [[has type::<name>]] if
they're really used.

What do you (SMW developers), and this mailing list subscribers in
general, think about it?

--
With best regards,
   Vitaliy Filippov

Re: Gerrit #84744: Disable type enforcement for properties with names equal to type names

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Vitaliy,

I agree with you here. I don't think backwards compatibility is a compelling reason to keep the property-name-dictates-type feature. I don't believe there are that many wikis that have such a property defined without an associated type - and conversely, we know of a few wikis where this feature has caused problems, that have, for example, a property named "Telephone number" of type String or Text. I think it makes a lot of sense to just toss this feature out entirely - it will cause some short-term pain for a few admins, but in the long term it will simplify both the code base and the usage of SMW.

-Yaron

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:14 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

It seems the discussion in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/84744/ is
slowed down, so maybe we'll discuss it here?

The full history is that I've recently discovered a strange SMW
behavior - type-named properties with enforced type. I.e. property named
"email" ALWAYS has email type, and you cannot override it. Markus said
it was done for some sort of backwards compatibility (details are in
gerrit), and I think it's an unevident behaviour, so I still think it
should be disabled...

To not break things with disabling this "feature" I suggest creating a
maintenance script (run as part of update.php) which will look for usage
of type-named properties and create them with [[has type::<name>]] if
they're really used.

What do you (SMW developers), and this mailing list subscribers in
general, think about it?

--
With best regards,
   Vitaliy Filippov

Re: Gerrit #84744: Disable type enforcement for properties with names equal to type names

vitalif
> I agree with you here. I don't think backwards compatibility is a
> compelling reason to keep the property-name-dictates-type feature. I
> don't believe there are that many wikis that have such a property
> defined without an associated type - and conversely, we know of a few
> wikis where this feature has caused problems, that have, for example,
> a property named "Telephone number" of type String or Text. I think it
> makes a lot of sense to just toss this feature out entirely - it will
> cause some short-term pain for a few admins, but in the long term it
> will simplify both the code base and the usage of SMW.

Thanks Yaron! So, what do you think should be done next? :)

Re: Gerrit #84744: Disable type enforcement for properties with names equal to type names

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Vitaliy,

I'm not a core SMW developer, so there's not much I can do on this issue; but maybe there are some SMW developers reading this, who can at least express an opinion on the subject. Anyone?