Gerrit: Server maintenance

Patrick Mulhall
Hello all,

We would like to announce that we are going to upgrade both hardware and OS of the production Gerrit server.

We will be doing the maintenance on October 21th, 2019 at 12pm PST time (7pm UTC time, 8pm UK time) [1].

This brings increased resources such as CPU and RAM. We will also be doing a dist upgrade from jessie to buster.

We have outgrown our current server (cobalt) so you may notice improvements due to increased resources.

The jessie server "cobalt" will be replaced by "gerrit1001" on buster, skipping stretch.

For more details or to report issues please see the ticket [2] and topic branch gerrit1001 [3].

[1] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Deployments&type=revision&diff=1840717&oldid=1840640
[3] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/q/topic:%22gerrit1001%22+(status:open%20OR%20status:merged)

On behalf of Patrick, Daniel and Tyler.

Re: Gerrit: Server maintenance

Patrick Mulhall
Just a reminder that this will be happening on Monday next week.

Re: Gerrit: Server maintenance

Tyler Cipriani
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:43 PM Patrick Mulhall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a reminder that this will be happening on Monday next week.

This is happening in a few minutes. Progress will be logged in
#wikimedia-operations

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 11:52 AM Tyler Cipriani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 3:43 PM Patrick Mulhall
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Just a reminder that this will be happening on Monday next week.
>
> This is happening in a few minutes. Progress will be logged in
> #wikimedia-operations

Correction, in 1 hour and a few minutes :)

Post-Morning SWAT.

-- Tyler

Re: Gerrit: Server maintenance

Daniel Zahn-2
This has been completed.

Gerrit is now running on Debian Buster and a new server, gerrit1001, with
64GB RAM.

Next will be tuning the config to make use of it.

Re: Gerrit: Server maintenance

Daniel Zahn-2
If you happen to notice weird behaviour with some Gerrit patches that show
as unmerged when they are actually merged or similar,
please just leave them as they are for now but do add links to this ticket:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T236114

Unfortunately some got in a bad state during the migration but it is being
worked on.

Re: Gerrit: Server maintenance

Tyler Cipriani
After quite a bit of thought and experimentation we've managed to, I
believe, resolve the issue of reappearing patchsets on the new gerrit
server. All the gory details are available on the Phabricator task[0].

Thank you everyone, as always, for your patience and support.

-- Tyler

[0]. <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T236114>