Gerrit login oddities

Chad
Hi,

Two quick things:

* First, we updated the cookie path for Gerrit to enable sharing
authentication with the new Gitiles repo browser--for most users this has
been transparent but a few people have reported problems with being able to
login. If this happens, try clearing out any cookies you have for
gerrit.wikimedia.org and try logging in anew.

* Second: if you use Lastpass for your password management...the update
last week seems to have added autocomplete="off" to the login form, which
makes the workflow for password managers a little annoying. I'll look into
this further.

<3

-Chad

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Giuseppe Lavagetto
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 5:56 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two quick things:
>
> * First, we updated the cookie path for Gerrit to enable sharing
> authentication with the new Gitiles repo browser--for most users this has
> been transparent but a few people have reported problems with being able to
> login. If this happens, try clearing out any cookies you have for
> gerrit.wikimedia.org and try logging in anew.

Just to help people not lose their settings and other things - you just
need to remove the GerritAccount cookie for gerrit.wikimedia.org, then
you'll be able to login again.

Cheers

Giuseppe

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
This is unfortunate and confusing :(

If you are using Chrome, an easy way to clear just the gerrit cookies is
this: https://i.imgur.com/DIyY7aX.gif

If you have instructions for other browsers please share, I'm sure we would
all appreciate them.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM Giuseppe Lavagetto <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 5:56 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two quick things:
> >
> > * First, we updated the cookie path for Gerrit to enable sharing
> > authentication with the new Gitiles repo browser--for most users this has
> > been transparent but a few people have reported problems with being able
> > login. If this happens, try clearing out any cookies you have for
> > gerrit.wikimedia.org and try logging in anew.
>

> Just to help people not lose their settings and other things - you just
> need to remove the GerritAccount cookie for gerrit.wikimedia.org, then
> you'll be able to login again.
>
> Cheers
>
> Giuseppe

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Derk-Jan Hartman
Ah, this explains why i wasn't able to login... Really confusing..
Can't we set a varnish/apache/nginx/whatever rule or something to
overwrite older now broken cookie settings ?

DJ

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Joaquin Oltra Hernandez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is unfortunate and confusing :(
>
> If you are using Chrome, an easy way to clear just the gerrit cookies is
> this: https://i.imgur.com/DIyY7aX.gif
>
> If you have instructions for other browsers please share, I'm sure we would
> all appreciate them.
>

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM Giuseppe Lavagetto <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 5:56 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Two quick things:
>> >
>> > * First, we updated the cookie path for Gerrit to enable sharing
>> > authentication with the new Gitiles repo browser--for most users this has
>> > been transparent but a few people have reported problems with being able
>> > login. If this happens, try clearing out any cookies you have for
>> > gerrit.wikimedia.org and try logging in anew.
>>

>> Just to help people not lose their settings and other things - you just
>> need to remove the GerritAccount cookie for gerrit.wikimedia.org, then
>> you'll be able to login again.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Giuseppe

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Chad
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Derk-Jan Hartman <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, this explains why i wasn't able to login... Really confusing..
> Can't we set a varnish/apache/nginx/whatever rule or something to
> overwrite older now broken cookie settings ?
>
> DJ

Got a fix in the works for this. It's affecting more people than I
initially thought!

-Chad

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Dan Andreescu
If you're like me, you go to clear your cookies and you have two
called GerritAccount,
that's probably what's causing the problem.  I looked at the date, and
deleted the earlier-dated one.  That seems to work and show you as
logged-in without having to log in again.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Derk-Jan Hartman <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ah, this explains why i wasn't able to login... Really confusing..
> > Can't we set a varnish/apache/nginx/whatever rule or something to
> > overwrite older now broken cookie settings ?
> >
> > DJ
>

> Got a fix in the works for this. It's affecting more people than I
> initially thought!
>
> -Chad

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Chad
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Derk-Jan Hartman <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ah, this explains why i wasn't able to login... Really confusing..
>> Can't we set a varnish/apache/nginx/whatever rule or something to
>> overwrite older now broken cookie settings ?
>>
>> DJ
>

> Got a fix in the works for this. It's affecting more people than I
> initially thought!

Just landed the fix for this. Visiting the login page should force the old
cookie to expire and let you login again :)

-Chad

Re: Gerrit login oddities

MZMcBride-2
Chad wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:39 AM Derk-Jan Hartman <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, this explains why i wasn't able to login... Really confusing..
>>> Can't we set a varnish/apache/nginx/whatever rule or something to
>>> overwrite older now broken cookie settings ?
>>
>> Got a fix in the works for this. It's affecting more people than I
>> initially thought!
>
>Just landed the fix for this. Visiting the login page should force the old
>cookie to expire and let you login again :)

I was too lazy to find and delete this cookie and waiting a day seems to
have paid off. I tried to log in again a few hours ago and it's now
working. Thanks for the fix!

Joaquin Oltra Hernandez wrote:
>If you have instructions for other browsers please share, I'm sure we
>would all appreciate them.

As a user, if you suspect cookie troubles, try using incognito mode or
private browsing mode in your Web browser. These modes intentionally do
not use existing cookies. Obviously it would be best if users weren't
forced to debug or work around issues like this, of course. This trick can
(in this case, for me, did) reduce annoyance and at least unblocked me to
allow me to leave a reply in Gerrit.

MZMcBride

Re: Gerrit login oddities

Derk-Jan Hartman