Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Greg Grossmeier-2
Hello,

Yesterday we (the Release Engineering team) enabled a Gerrit plugin that
will automatically add reviewers to your changes based on who previously
has committed changes to the file.

For more, please read the blog post at:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/139/gerrit_now_automatically_adds_reviewers/

NOTE: There are a couple requests from us open upstream to improve the
plugin[0], we'll incorporate those improvements when they are released.

On behalf of the rest of the Release Engineering Team[1],

Greg

[0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101131#4890023
[1] As well as Paladox, a Wikimedia volunteer with strong ties to
upstream Gerrit.

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Giuseppe Lavagetto
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 10:52 PM Greg Grossmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday we (the Release Engineering team) enabled a Gerrit plugin that
> will automatically add reviewers to your changes based on who previously
> has committed changes to the file.

While I commend the intention, this means I will get pinged for virtually
any change in a couple of very busy repositories.

The amount of noise will prevent me from being able to notice anyone's
review request. I think it's going to be the same for other developers - I
don't want to imagine what the inbox of a long-time mediawiki-core
contributor must look like!

What I fear is that the flood of reviews will make everyone just dull to
notifications, obtaining the exact opposite effect that was intended. I say
this because  I auto added myself to all reviews in operations/puppet[1] in
the past, which resulted in me ignoring all code review requests.

I think a good compromise would be to modify the plugin so that it adds
reviewers automatically, only if you're a new contributor (so you have -
say - less than N patches submitted).

While this gets improved, is there a way to opt-out from the feature
individually or as a project?

Thanks,
Giuseppe

[1] we already have a way to "monitor" all changes to a repository, to a
directory within a repository, or even to individual files, which I was
using extensively. Should we remove that?
--
Giuseppe Lavagetto
Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Pine W
Although this change doesn't personally affect me because I'm not active on
Gerrit, my reading of the situation is similar to Giuseppe's. Sending
people potentially large numbers of automatic and unsolicited notifications
is not something that I would generally support, and I would likely believe
to be a misuse of communications tools and an inconsiderate use of others'
time, no matter how well-intentioned.

My impression of this change to communications is that it should have been
broadly discussed, and consensus requested through an RfC, before
implementation. Was there an RfC? Were there previous wide notifications
regarding this proposed change to communications?

Pine

Re: Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Thiemo Kreuz
> […] automatically add reviewers to your changes based on who previously has committed changes to the file.

I'm already overwhelmed with review requests. I'm also one of the
latest contributors in sooo many files that I'm worried the plugin
will add me to dozens per day from now on. This surprising addition
makes me worry very much about my sanity and the usability of my inbox
and Gerrit dashboards. Please, please, tune it down heavily.

Until now, I had a process to find reviewers:

1. For planned changes, it's already obvious who needs to do the
review: my team members. Often they don't even need to be added as
reviewers, or don't want to, but use the "review" column on our
Phabricator board. Automatically adding random *other* people is not
only useless in this situation, it's counterproductive and frustrating
for everybody involved. Other people should not waste their time with
patches like this. When they do, it's frustrating for the one who was
supposed to do the review, as well as for the "auto-reviewer". His
review is not helpful and ultimately not appreciated.

2. For code cleanups in core and codebases my team does not own I open
the list of merged patches on Gerrit to see if I can tell the names of
one or two main contributors. Often, the list will contain nothing but
the Translatewiki bot and a few people doing cross-codebase
maintainance work. These highly active people should *not* be the
first pick as potential reviewers for multiple reasons. Most
importantly, just because someone is very productive it's not ok to
expect him to accept even more workload. This is
super-counterproductive and ultimately leads to people burning out.
Secondly, just because someone updated, let's say, a call to a
deprecated core function does not mean he is familiar with a codebase.

3. I look at the files my patch happens to touch in my PHPStorm IDE,
enable the blame column that shows who touched a line last, and see if
I can find the one who introduced the code I'm touching.

All steps in this process involve *reading* the commit messages and
considering what people did, when and why. This can't be automated.

I do not entirely oppose the idea of adding reviewers automatically,
as long as I (as a reviewer) have a chance to easily tell the
difference between being added manually vs. automatically. For my
sanity, I will most probably setup an email filter that auto-deletes
all automated requests, and only look at these auto-reviews once a
week via my Gerrit dashboard.

Based on all these arguments this is what I, personally, find acceptable:
* Make sure no emails are sent for being automatically added, or make
sure it's possible to turn them off (without also killing the wanted
emails about manually being added).
* Make sure tool accounts like the library-upgrader or Translatewiki
bot are never added as reviewers.
* Never automatically add reviewers if there are other reviewers
already. Most importantly, if people have been added via the reviewer
bot already, that's more than enough.
* Only add 2 reviewers. 2 people will more likely feel like a team. 3
people are much more likely to all think "the other 2 will do it" and
all ignore it.
* Don't just pick the "most recent" contributor. That's most certainly
not the person you want (probably one who fixed a typo, or updated a
library). Implement an algorithm that can either understand who
touched which places in the code, and assigns them to patches that
happen to touch the same place again. Or go for an algorithm that (for
example) analyzes the last year and picks the 2 people who did the
most changes to a file in that time span.

If more than one of these criteria is not met or not possible, the
only solution I see is to make the plugin opt-in per codebase, not
opt-out as of now (because you can't expect me to opt-out from
literally a thousand codebases).

Thank you for keeping my inbox sane.

Best
Thiemo

Re: Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Jaime Crespo
One member of my team sadly left. Now he is pinged every time I upload a
change, passively aggressive reminding him he used to work on this.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is great to get attention for new
contributors, to make sure it is moving forward, but I would suggest to be
able to opt-out of this.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 9:47 AM Thiemo Kreuz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> bot already, that's more than enough.
> * Only add 2 reviewers. 2 people will more likely feel like a team. 3
> people are much more likely to all think "the other 2 will do it" and
> all ignore it.
> * Don't just pick the "most recent" contributor. That's most certainly
> not the person you want (probably one who fixed a typo, or updated a
> library). Implement an algorithm that can either understand who
> touched which places in the code, and assigns them to patches that
> happen to touch the same place again. Or go for an algorithm that (for
> example) analyzes the last year and picks the 2 people who did the
> most changes to a file in that time span.
>
> If more than one of these criteria is not met or not possible, the
> only solution I see is to make the plugin opt-in per codebase, not
> opt-out as of now (because you can't expect me to opt-out from

Jaime Crespo
<http://wikimedia.org>

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Gergo Tisza
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 10:58 PM Giuseppe Lavagetto <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> While this gets improved, is there a way to opt-out from the feature
> individually or as a project?

Individually, no. On the project level, just set the max number of
reviewers added by the plugin to zero. (It seems that you need to use the
old Gerrit interface to see settings that come from plugins...)

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Wikipedia Developers mailing list
 I’ve been working on a opt out (blacklist) in the plugin, see https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/plugins/reviewers-by-blame/+/210812

MA

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

MA
Hello,

I agree with what Giuseppe Lavagetto and Jaime Crespo said.

In my case, I am now getting review requests from several repos I
contributed some time in the past, but for which I'm not a qualified
reviewer. The plugin is also adding bots to review changes such as in
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/485174>.

While I think it is certainly a good idea to help people find
reviewers for their patches, I feel this plugin as it is now is going
to achieve the contrary (mail blindness due to too many emails).

I suggest we disable the plugin until at least Paladox's blacklist
could be implemented and so we are given the choice to opt-out from
it.

Thank you, M.

Re: Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Thiemo Kreuz
So it turns out this addition is indeed the reason I get constantly
spammed with the same fake review request over and over again, no
matter how often I try to remove myself from a patch.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/484681

Not only that. The notification mails make it look like Matthias
Mullie went rogue. He is a wonderful person and definitely doesn't
deserve that such cyberbullying is misattributed to him.

With all the respect, but at this point this is just insane. Please
make this stop!

Thiemo

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Physikerwelt
Hi Thiemo, hi all,

given my strong support for T78768 and the connection to this change,
I would like to express my regrets to the engineers blocked by the
change in Gerrit. As typical for strike actions, it disrupts the usual
business. However, I see the positive effect that people are made
aware of the fact that the code review process needs to be improved.

While I am happy with the code review duration of the patches I submit
today, I had problems to get the (obviously bad) code I wrote in the
beginning reviewed. I guess one of the main reasons for the
improvement is that I know the reviewers in person, today.

However, visiting Hackathons and annoying WMF employees in their
offices is not something that scales. Therefore, the review process
needs to be changed. After years of discussion and only little changes
to the process, this change brings this important but not urgent topic
to the agenda, which I appreciate.

To my experience Thiemo ist one of the most predictable (=good) code
reviewers. I am more than happy that he shared his process in his
email. I think his code reviewing procedure is exemplary and should
act as a general template. Thank you Thiemo.

One last hopefully constructive point. To my experience, the most
annoying experience in waiting for CR is when multiple reviewers are
requested and no feedback is provided. My wish would be that the state
of the patch is visualized in the (Gerrit) UI. So that the submitter
of the patch knows the state of the change and can estimate how long
it might take until the patch proceeds to the next stage.

Happy coding
physikerwelt

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 1:25 PM MA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I agree with what Giuseppe Lavagetto and Jaime Crespo said.
>
> In my case, I am now getting review requests from several repos I
> contributed some time in the past, but for which I'm not a qualified
> reviewer. The plugin is also adding bots to review changes such as in
> <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/485174>.
>
> While I think it is certainly a good idea to help people find
> reviewers for their patches, I feel this plugin as it is now is going
> to achieve the contrary (mail blindness due to too many emails).
>
> I suggest we disable the plugin until at least Paladox's blacklist
> could be implemented and so we are given the choice to opt-out from
> it.
>
> Thank you, M.

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Tyler Cipriani
Hi all,

Gerrit no longer automatically adds reviewers[0]. Unfortunately, this
plugin appears (given the replies on this thread) to be missing key
features needed to be useful for us at this time. Apologies to those
folks whose inboxes were destroyed.

I would like to re-enable this plugin at some point, provided the
features identified in this thread are added (perhaps also an
filtering these messages easier).

In the interim, project-owners are able to opt-in to using the
reviewers-by-blame plugin on a per-project basis on their project admin
page in Gerrit.

Also, the Git Reviewer Bot[1] provides folks an opt-in method of
volunteering to review a subset of files in a particular repo.

Getting code review as a new contributor is hard. Thanks for bearing
with us.

-- Tyler

[0]. <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/All-Projects/+/485184/>
[1]. <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Reviewers>

On 19-01-17 13:51:58, Greg Grossmeier wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Yesterday we (the Release Engineering team) enabled a Gerrit plugin that
>will automatically add reviewers to your changes based on who previously
>has committed changes to the file.
>
>For more, please read the blog post at:
>https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/139/gerrit_now_automatically_adds_reviewers/
>
>NOTE: There are a couple requests from us open upstream to improve the
>plugin[0], we'll incorporate those improvements when they are released.
>
>On behalf of the rest of the Release Engineering Team[1],
>
>Greg
>
>[0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101131#4890023
>[1] As well as Paladox, a Wikimedia volunteer with strong ties to
>upstream Gerrit.
>
>--
>| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
>| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Jaime Crespo
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 3:12 PM Tyler Cipriani <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would like to re-enable this plugin at some point, provided the
> features identified in this thread are added (perhaps also an
> filtering these messages easier).

Let me suggest one workflow that may work with this feature- Adding a
button, for example, with "Suggest reviewers" which you can press to get
this effect. Or doing it automatically if your history only has less than X
CRs sent. What do you think?

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Ariel Glenn WMF
In the meantime, I would encourage those who have not looked at the Git
Reviewer Bot page in a while, to do so and to add any updates.

Ariel

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 4:12 PM Tyler Cipriani <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Gerrit no longer automatically adds reviewers[0]. Unfortunately, this
> plugin appears (given the replies on this thread) to be missing key
> features needed to be useful for us at this time. Apologies to those
> folks whose inboxes were destroyed.
>
> I would like to re-enable this plugin at some point, provided the
> features identified in this thread are added (perhaps also an
> filtering these messages easier).
>
> In the interim, project-owners are able to opt-in to using the
> reviewers-by-blame plugin on a per-project basis on their project admin
> page in Gerrit.
>
> Also, the Git Reviewer Bot[1] provides folks an opt-in method of
> volunteering to review a subset of files in a particular repo.
>
> Getting code review as a new contributor is hard. Thanks for bearing
> with us.
>
> -- Tyler
>
> [0]. <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/All-Projects/+/485184/>
> [1]. <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Reviewers>
>
> On 19-01-17 13:51:58, Greg Grossmeier wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Yesterday we (the Release Engineering team) enabled a Gerrit plugin that
> >will automatically add reviewers to your changes based on who previously
> >has committed changes to the file.
> >
> >For more, please read the blog post at:
> >
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/139/gerrit_now_automatically_adds_reviewers/
> >
> >NOTE: There are a couple requests from us open upstream to improve the
> >plugin[0], we'll incorporate those improvements when they are released.
> >
> >On behalf of the rest of the Release Engineering Team[1],
> >
> >Greg
> >
> >[0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T101131#4890023
> >[1] As well as Paladox, a Wikimedia volunteer with strong ties to
> >upstream Gerrit.
> >
> >--
> >| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> >| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Daniel Kinzler-3
Am 18.01.19 um 15:25 schrieb Jaime Crespo:
> Let me suggest one workflow that may work with this feature- Adding a
> button, for example, with "Suggest reviewers" which you can press to get
> this effect.

Yes.

It could also be doneautomatically when a patch did not get any attention for a
week or so.

In any case, there should be a way to opt out. Ideally, per project.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Wikipedia Developers mailing list
 The patch i linked in my other email does what you are all suggesting :) (opt out per project).
If done through All-Projects it will opt you out of all projects.

 I've forwarded jynus feedback upstream at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=10337

    On Friday, 18 January 2019, 15:01:09 GMT, Paladox via Wikitech-l <[hidden email]> wrote:

  The patch i linked in my other email does what you are all suggesting :) (opt out per project).
If done through All-Projects it will opt you out of all projects.
    On Friday, 18 January 2019, 14:44:50 GMT, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Am 18.01.19 um 15:25 schrieb Jaime Crespo:
> Let me suggest one workflow that may work with this feature- Adding a
> button, for example, with "Suggest reviewers" which you can press to get
> this effect.

Yes.

It could also be doneautomatically when a patch did not get any attention for a
week or so.

In any case, there should be a way to opt out. Ideally, per project.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Thiemo Kreuz
> Gerrit no longer automatically adds reviewers […]

Thank you very much for reacting so fast.

> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/485184

I'm not sure if the list of issues in this commit message is meant to
be complete. But I noticed it misses the bug I found the most
annoying: The plugin doesn't get activated once per patch, but for
every patch set, and ignores every human intervention that might have
been done to this point, most notably when reviewers have manually
been removed. There are many ways to fix this, but the current
behavior is unacceptable.

It is due to this bug that I wish we would revoke this bad plugin
entirely. I don't think anybody should be able to run it as this would
open the exact same issues again, just on a smaller scale, but still
hurting the same people.

Best
Thiemo

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Pine W
I'm glad that this problematic change to communications was reverted.

I would like to suggest that this is the type of change that, when being
planned, should get a design review from a third party before coding
starts, should go through at least one RFC before coding starts, and be
widely communicated before coding starts and again a week or two before
deployment. Involving TechCom might also be appropriate. It appears that
none of those happened here. In terms of process this situation looks to me
like it's inexcusable.

In the English Wikipedia community, doing something like this would have a
reasonable likelihood of costing an administrator their tools, and I hope
that a similar degree of accountability is enforced in the engineering
community. In particular, I expect engineering supervisors to follow
established technical processes for changes that impact others' workflows,
and if they decide to skip those processes without a compelling reason
(such as a site stability problem) then I hope that they will be held
accountable. Again, from my perspective, the failure to follow process here
is inexcusable.

Pine

Re: [Engineering] Gerrit now automatically adds reviewers

Wikipedia Developers mailing list
 "should get a design review from a third party before coding starts" what do you mean by that?
Also may i remind you that gerrit is not a encyclopedia, it's a code review system.
So what ever process is on the encyclopedia is not the same here.
Also please can we leave the threats out. It wasn't deployed to annoy users, it was deployed to help. Obviously we didn't know it was going to turn out like this, hence why it was made opt in for all projects today.

    On Friday, 18 January 2019, 22:13:38 GMT, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

bawolff
Umm, No.

--
Bawolff