Gerrit screen size

Bináris
Hi,

I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
user-friendly interface.
I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in HTML
source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
as attached.

So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page rendering?
My computer is a Samsung notebook.

--
Bináris

GerritScreenSux.png (51K) Download Attachment

Re: Gerrit screen size

Tim Starling-2
On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
> user-friendly interface.
> I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
> suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in HTML
> source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
> as attached.
>
> So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page rendering?
> My computer is a Samsung notebook.

In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
(for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

-- Tim Starling

Re: Gerrit screen size

Bináris
In the main view of a task I have at least a horizontal scrollbar. It is
not an elegant solution, too, but I can still live wit that. In diff view
there is no scrollbar.

--
Bináris

Re: Gerrit screen size

Bináris

> I'm
> not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

So it is totally out of our scope and all I have to do is to wait for the
Phabricator transfer hopefully? (Which is also not my favourite and I have
never seen it working as code review environment.)

--
Bináris

Re: Gerrit screen size

Paladox
This is fixed in polygerrit, polygerrit is the new gerrit ui and is currently in testing. To see an example please visit
https://gerrit-new.wmflabs.org/?polygerrit=1to disable it change 1 to 0.
Also see it on gerrit-review.
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/?polygerrit=1
and the same change 1 into 0 to disable polygerrit.
Polygerrit is mobile friendly and also desktop friendly I think. It resizes depending on screen size.

--
Bináris

Re: Gerrit screen size

Antoine Musso-3
On 25/09/16 13:09, Bináris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
> user-friendly interface.
> I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
> suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in HTML
> source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
> as attached.
>
> So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page rendering?
> My computer is a Samsung notebook.

Hello,

I am pretty sure we can fix it via some CSS. We have a past example to
move menu to the left next to the icon in order to get the search bar
visible:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/48624/
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T46902

The top of a Gerrit page has the logo, then a table that shifted to the
and next to the logo. That table has a cell for the menu and a cell for
the search/login.  Since the default menu is "My" which has a lot of
entries, the search bar and login button are further pushed to the right.

I am sure we can come up some CSS trick to alter it.

Please please fill a task in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/ with the
tag #Gerrit :]

--
Antoine Musso

Re: Gerrit screen size

Marcin Cieslak-3
Dnia 25.09.2016 Tim Starling <[hidden email]> napisał/a:

> On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
>> user-friendly interface.
>> I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
>> suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in HTML
>> source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
>> as attached.
>>
>> So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page rendering?
>> My computer is a Samsung notebook.
>
> In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px.

This is something strange, on a Windows box with FF 49 I only need 1075px
when not logged in and 1090px when logged into not to have a scroll bar.
(Keep in mind that "saper" is short).

On FreeBSD's oldish Firefox, the username part almost always is hanging off.
With ca. 1400 px it is enough (if only the screen was wide enough).

Something with fonts?

Saper

Re: Gerrit screen size

Bryan Davis
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
>> user-friendly interface.
>> I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
>> suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in HTML
>> source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
>> as attached.
>>
>> So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page rendering?
>> My computer is a Samsung notebook.
>
> In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
> not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

Sadly I don't think that's the case as the upstream has moved on to
building yet another UI layer to replace the one that we are currently
using [0].

I hacked the heck out of the CSS to make things fit in my ~1024px
preferred browser width [1]. There is a greasemonkey script that will
apply this css [2]. Perhaps some other folks could test this css out
and see if I would be a useful change to add to the stylesheet
overrides already in use by the WMF's deployment.

[0]: https://gerrit.googlesource.com/gerrit/+/master/polygerrit-ui/
[1]: https://github.com/bd808/userscripts/blob/gh-pages/wmfgerrit.user.css
[2]: http://bd808.com/userscripts/wmfgerrit.user.js

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA

Re: Gerrit screen size

Bartosz Dziewoński
Indeed, the interface is pretty terrible and pretty wide. I also have
a bunch of CSS tweaks locally (mostly to make the "Verified" column
narrower, which Bryan's CSS also does).

Another thing I would recommend is going to Settings → Preferences,
and removing a bunch of entries you don't use from "My Menu" (or
editing them to make labels shorter). It made a big difference in
making the interface fit on my screen.

Re: Gerrit screen size

Paladox
Hi, I deployed your css hack here http://gerrit-test.wmflabs.org/gerrit/
Please could you test it and I will then upload the change for a review and hopefully get it merged :)

What does everyone think of using this skin https://github.com/shellscape/OctoGerrit it's more modern, doint know if it is mobile friendly and large screen friendly.

    On Monday, 26 September 2016, 15:41, Paladox <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi, I deployed your css hack here http://gerrit-test.wmflabs.org/gerrit/
Please could you test it and I will then upload the change for a review and hopefully get it merged :)

    On Monday, 26 September 2016, 2:54, Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
>> user-friendly interface.
>> I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
>> suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in HTML
>> source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
>> as attached.
>>
>> So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page rendering?
>> My computer is a Samsung notebook.
>
> In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
> not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

Sadly I don't think that's the case as the upstream has moved on to
building yet another UI layer to replace the one that we are currently
using [0].

I hacked the heck out of the CSS to make things fit in my ~1024px
preferred browser width [1]. There is a greasemonkey script that will
apply this css [2]. Perhaps some other folks could test this css out
and see if I would be a useful change to add to the stylesheet
overrides already in use by the WMF's deployment.

[0]: https://gerrit.googlesource.com/gerrit/+/master/polygerrit-ui/
[1]: https://github.com/bd808/userscripts/blob/gh-pages/wmfgerrit.user.css
[2]: http://bd808.com/userscripts/wmfgerrit.user.js

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA
irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Gerrit screen size

Bináris

> What does everyone think of using this skin https://github.com/shellscape/
> OctoGerrit it's more modern, doint know if it is mobile friendly and
> large screen friendly.

"Gerrit is a good tool built on a solid framework. But Gerrit, with regard
> to user experience, is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad. Functional?
> Yes. Pretty? Good lord no."

Fine. :-)

"OctoGerrit was written and tested on Gerrit v2.12. If it works with other
> older versions, that's wonderful! But not something we're going to test.
> OctoGerrit is not guaranteed to work on newer versions, nor the new
> 'PolyGerrit' being developed."

Caution!

--
Bináris

Re: Gerrit screen size

Ariel Glenn WMF
(off topic) Paladox, for some reason google seriously disliked your last 2
emails, just so you know. (Big read warning banner, etc.)

Ariel

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > What does everyone think of using this skin
> https://github.com/shellscape/
> > OctoGerrit it's more modern, doint know if it is mobile friendly and
> > large screen friendly.
> >

> "Gerrit is a good tool built on a solid framework. But Gerrit, with regard
> > to user experience, is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad. Functional?
> > Yes. Pretty? Good lord no."
> >
> Fine. :-)
>
> "OctoGerrit was written and tested on Gerrit v2.12. If it works with other
> > older versions, that's wonderful! But not something we're going to test.
> > OctoGerrit is not guaranteed to work on newer versions, nor the new
> > 'PolyGerrit' being developed."
> >
> Caution!
>

> --
> Bináris

Re: Gerrit screen size

Paladox
Oh, I guess google hate yahoo.

    On Monday, 26 September 2016, 16:04, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]> wrote:

 (off topic) Paladox, for some reason google seriously disliked your last 2 emails, just so you know. (Big read warning banner, etc.)

Ariel

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What does everyone think of using this skin https://github.com/shellscape/
> OctoGerrit it's more modern, doint know if it is mobile friendly and
> large screen friendly.

"Gerrit is a good tool built on a solid framework. But Gerrit, with regard
> to user experience, is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad. Functional?
> Yes. Pretty? Good lord no."

Fine. :-)

"OctoGerrit was written and tested on Gerrit v2.12. If it works with other
> older versions, that's wonderful! But not something we're going to test.
> OctoGerrit is not guaranteed to work on newer versions, nor the new
> 'PolyGerrit' being developed."

Caution!

--
Bináris

Re: Gerrit screen size

Rob Lanphier-4
On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
> > I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
> > user-friendly interface.
> > I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
> > suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in
> HTML
> > source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
> > as attached.
> >
> > So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page
> rendering?
> > My computer is a Samsung notebook.
>
> In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
> not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

My suspicion is that the Gerrit folks (in particular, Shawn Pierce) aren't
so much trolling us as saying "stop relying on the UI of Gerrit!  That's
not the point!"  The last time I was paying close attention to this, Gerrit
upstream seems to be particularly focused on building code review features
suitable for:
1.  Incorporation into git upstream
2.  Integrated into development UIs like Eclipse

The strategy seems to be "Gerrit is a reference implementation of a code
review UI for Git".  I haven't paid close enough attention to either Gerrit
upstream or Git upstream to know if the Gerrit core contributors have made
progress in getting code review functionality added to Git core (or if
they've given up, or if I completely misunderstood their strategy).  I'm
guessing that Eclipse has pretty good Gerrit support, but I rarely play
with Eclipse, so that's just a guess based on the Eclipse Foundation's
involvement with Gerrit.

As bd808 noted, Gerrit upstream seems to be working on yet another UI,
which would make sense if their goal is to create a variety of compatible
implementations of advanced Git functionality.

Rob

Re: Gerrit screen size

Paladox
There new skin called polygerrit fixes all the issues described here. It is moving along greatly but it doesn't support all browsers yet, namely Internet Explorer due to polygerrit using es6 and internet explorer does not support es6. They are going to something in the q2 of next year work on internet explorer support, hopefully it will make it into gerrit 2.14, 2.15, and hopefully we will still be using gerrit then and update it and also hopefully polygerrit will have added all the missing features.
Polygerrit is very responsive as I tried this on my mobile (iPhone) and it worked.

wrote:

> On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
> > I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
> > user-friendly interface.
> > I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
> > suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in
> HTML
> > source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
> > as attached.
> >
> > So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page
> rendering?
> > My computer is a Samsung notebook.
>
> In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
> not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

My suspicion is that the Gerrit folks (in particular, Shawn Pierce) aren't
so much trolling us as saying "stop relying on the UI of Gerrit!  That's
not the point!"  The last time I was paying close attention to this, Gerrit
upstream seems to be particularly focused on building code review features
suitable for:
1.  Incorporation into git upstream
2.  Integrated into development UIs like Eclipse

The strategy seems to be "Gerrit is a reference implementation of a code
review UI for Git".  I haven't paid close enough attention to either Gerrit
upstream or Git upstream to know if the Gerrit core contributors have made
progress in getting code review functionality added to Git core (or if
they've given up, or if I completely misunderstood their strategy).  I'm
guessing that Eclipse has pretty good Gerrit support, but I rarely play
with Eclipse, so that's just a guess based on the Eclipse Foundation's
involvement with Gerrit.

As bd808 noted, Gerrit upstream seems to be working on yet another UI,
which would make sense if their goal is to create a variety of compatible
implementations of advanced Git functionality.

Rob

Re: Gerrit screen size

rupert THURNER-2
Isn't Gerrit more for developers who as a consequence anyway run multiple
browsers and therefore do not care so much that it does not support Ie?

On Sep 26, 2016 20:14, "Paladox" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There new skin called polygerrit fixes all the issues described here. It
> is moving along greatly but it doesn't support all browsers yet, namely
> Internet Explorer due to polygerrit using es6 and internet explorer does
> not support es6. They are going to something in the q2 of next year work on
> internet explorer support, hopefully it will make it into gerrit 2.14,
> 2.15, and hopefully we will still be using gerrit then and update it and
> also hopefully polygerrit will have added all the missing features.
> Polygerrit is very responsive as I tried this on my mobile (iPhone) and it
> worked.
>

>     On Monday, 26 September 2016, 18:39, Rob Lanphier <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>  On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
> > > I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
> > > user-friendly interface.
> > > I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
> > > suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in
> > HTML
> > > source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half
> window
> > > as attached.
> > >
> > > So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page
> > rendering?
> > > My computer is a Samsung notebook.
> >
> > In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> > (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
> > not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> > it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?
> >

> My suspicion is that the Gerrit folks (in particular, Shawn Pierce) aren't
> so much trolling us as saying "stop relying on the UI of Gerrit!  That's
> not the point!"  The last time I was paying close attention to this, Gerrit
> upstream seems to be particularly focused on building code review features
> suitable for:
> 1.  Incorporation into git upstream
> 2.  Integrated into development UIs like Eclipse
>
> The strategy seems to be "Gerrit is a reference implementation of a code
> review UI for Git".  I haven't paid close enough attention to either Gerrit
> upstream or Git upstream to know if the Gerrit core contributors have made
> progress in getting code review functionality added to Git core (or if
> they've given up, or if I completely misunderstood their strategy).  I'm
> guessing that Eclipse has pretty good Gerrit support, but I rarely play
> with Eclipse, so that's just a guess based on the Eclipse Foundation's
> involvement with Gerrit.
>
> As bd808 noted, Gerrit upstream seems to be working on yet another UI,
> which would make sense if their goal is to create a variety of compatible
> implementations of advanced Git functionality.
>
> Rob

Re: Gerrit screen size

Paladox
Not really, since gerrit is a google owned project, and google supports most browsers, it is unlikely that Internet Explorer will never be unsupported in google projects unless no one uses ie or Microsoft drops all support for Internet Explorer.

wrote:

> On 25/09/16 21:09, Bináris wrote:
> > I try to familiarize myself with Gerrit which is not a good example for
> > user-friendly interface.
> > I noticed a letter B in the upper right corner of the screen, and I
> > suspected it could be a portion of my login name. So I looked at it in
> HTML
> > source, and it was. I pushed my mouse on it and I got another half window
> > as attached.
> >
> > So did somebody perhaps wire the size of a 25" monitor into page
> rendering?
> > My computer is a Samsung notebook.
>
> In T38471 I complained that the old version was too wide at 1163px
> (for my dashboard on a random day). Now the new version is 1520px. I'm
> not sure if the Gerrit folks are serious or are trolling us. Perhaps
> it is a tactic to encourage UI code contributions?

My suspicion is that the Gerrit folks (in particular, Shawn Pierce) aren't
so much trolling us as saying "stop relying on the UI of Gerrit!  That's
not the point!"  The last time I was paying close attention to this, Gerrit
upstream seems to be particularly focused on building code review features
suitable for:
1.  Incorporation into git upstream
2.  Integrated into development UIs like Eclipse

The strategy seems to be "Gerrit is a reference implementation of a code
review UI for Git".  I haven't paid close enough attention to either Gerrit
upstream or Git upstream to know if the Gerrit core contributors have made
progress in getting code review functionality added to Git core (or if
they've given up, or if I completely misunderstood their strategy).  I'm
guessing that Eclipse has pretty good Gerrit support, but I rarely play
with Eclipse, so that's just a guess based on the Eclipse Foundation's
involvement with Gerrit.

As bd808 noted, Gerrit upstream seems to be working on yet another UI,
which would make sense if their goal is to create a variety of compatible
implementations of advanced Git functionality.

Rob

Re: Gerrit screen size

Mukunda Modell
If only we could plug in the gerrit back-end (via API) to the phabricator
front-end. Phabricator has a much better diff viewer and commenting
system.  Gerrit is superior in many ways but the UI is so terrible it's not
even funny.