Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June

Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June

Wikipedia Developers mailing list
[Apologies for cross-posting]

Hi,

TL;DR: We will take our Gerrit instance at gerrit.wikimeda.org offline
on Saturday, 27th of June from 17:00--22:00 UTC (hopefully much
shorter) to upgrade to the latest Gerrit v3.2.2.

(10:00--15:00 San Francisco time, and 19:00--24:00 Central
European time)

---------------------------------

We're currently running Gerrit v2.15, which is no longer supported and
we will upgrade to Gerrit v3.2 on Saturday 27th of June. This new
version brings lots of improvements. The most noticeable change is
probably the UI overhaul.  The (default) "old UI" gets removed and the
"new UI" has been completely revamped. It's much more modern looking
and easier to use. And it also became far more usable on mobile
phones. But the new version of course also comes with fixes and
additions around the ssh interface, and the HTTP API.

Since this is such a big upgrade, we want to give you a chance to look
at it beforehand. You can test at

  https://gerrit-test.wikimedia.org/

It holds a copy of our Gerrit data as of 15th of June, and it runs the
new Gerrit v3.2.2. We'll keep tuning things there during this week, so
it might get an occasional restart. But look around and test the new
UI, the HTTP API, etc.

If you run into issues or discover bugs, please open tickets in
Phabricator and set the Gerrit 3.x upgrade task (T254158) as parent.

Note that this test Gerrit instance is already hooked up with our
Phabricator. If you upload / merge / abandon / etc changes with a
`Bug: Tnnnn` footer, you'll get comments on the corresponding tasks in
Gerrit. So please use our test task T775 for your experiments.

As everything, also this upgrade comes with a few downsides:

* The new UI no longer works on Internet Explorer (currently ~0.02% of
Gerrit's web requests).
Microsoft's Edge browser works though.
So if you are still using Internet Explorer, please consider switching
to a different browser.

* Users of git-review need to use at least version 1.27 (released
September 2018). Otherwise uploading changes will fail.

* Your git should be at least version 2.2.0 (released November 2014)
to take advantage of the new, much simpler commit-msg hook.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a painless update,
Christian with lots of helping hands from RelEng, and SRE

Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June

Kunal Mehta
Hi,

On 2020-06-20 14:58, Christian Aistleitner via Wikitech-l wrote:
> It holds a copy of our Gerrit data as of 15th of June, and it runs
> the new Gerrit v3.2.2. We'll keep tuning things there during this
> week, so it might get an occasional restart. But look around and
> test the new UI, the HTTP API, etc.

Just to clarify, it's safe to log into the test instance to change
things, right? I mainly want to make sure wikibugs can still parse the
stream-events feed properly.

Also, do you know if any changes are expected to Gerrit's email
notifications? I primarily use the List-Id header and the Gerrit-*
pseudo-headers at the bottom of notifications for filtering.

Thanks for your and everyone else's efforts in making this upgrade happen!

-- Legoktm

Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June

Wikipedia Developers mailing list
Hi Legoktm,

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 06:10:58PM -0700, Kunal Mehta wrote:
> On 2020-06-20 14:58, Christian Aistleitner via Wikitech-l wrote:
> > [ gerrit-test.wikimedia.org ]
>
> Just to clarify, it's safe to log into the test instance to change
> things, right?

Right.

> I mainly want to make sure wikibugs can still parse the
> stream-events feed properly.

Awesome!

> Also, do you know if any changes are expected to Gerrit's email
> notifications?

Only, minor, subtle differences. Nothing that we'd notice I hope.

> I primarily use the List-Id header and [...]

List-Id should be the same on both versions. Well, the ending is
obviously different. It's gerrit-test.wikimedia.org for
gerrit-test.wikimedia.org and gerrit.wikimedia.org for
gerrit.wikimedia.org.

So it's

for gerrit-test.wikimedia.org and

for gerrit-test.wikimedia.org.

> the Gerrit-*
> pseudo-headers at the bottom of notifications for filtering.

The `Gerrit-*` pseudo-headers at the bottom should hold the same
content, but judging from test emails, they got reordered a bit. For
example, Gerrit-MessageType was rather at the beginning of the block,
while it is now near the end.
But I'm not exacly sure if that order was ever consistent before.
If it's relevant, let me know and I'll dig into Gerrit's email code.

Other than the above, the most noticeable change for me was that
Gerrit now more consistent with Message-ID headers. Since we use a
proper mail-server, this means that we'll likely see less messages
that come with a @mx1001.wikimedia.org Message-ID.  But that's a more
lengthy discussion. If that's relevant for you, I guess it's better to
discuss that off-list.

Have fun,
Christian

--
---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz

Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June

Aron Manning
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 at 23:58, Christian Aistleitner via Wikitech-l <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We're currently running Gerrit v2.15, which is no longer supported and
> we will upgrade to Gerrit v3.2 on Saturday 27th of June. This new
> version brings lots of improvements.
>

> Christian with lots of helping hands from RelEng, and SRE

Thank you all for doing this upgrade, it is much appreciated!

Demian (aka. Aron)

Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June

Wikipedia Developers mailing list

just a heads up that the Gerrit upgrade (see below) will begin in
about an hour.
(If you want to read along, coordination will happen in IRC
in #wikimedia-operations)

Have fun,
Christian

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:58:23PM +0200, Christian Aistleitner via Wikitech-l wrote:

> [Apologies for cross-posting]
>
> Hi,
>
> TL;DR: We will take our Gerrit instance at gerrit.wikimeda.org offline
> on Saturday, 27th of June from 17:00--22:00 UTC (hopefully much
> shorter) to upgrade to the latest Gerrit v3.2.2.
>
> (10:00--15:00 San Francisco time, and 19:00--24:00 Central
> European time)
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> We're currently running Gerrit v2.15, which is no longer supported and
> we will upgrade to Gerrit v3.2 on Saturday 27th of June. This new
> version brings lots of improvements. The most noticeable change is
> probably the UI overhaul.  The (default) "old UI" gets removed and the
> "new UI" has been completely revamped. It's much more modern looking
> and easier to use. And it also became far more usable on mobile
> phones. But the new version of course also comes with fixes and
> additions around the ssh interface, and the HTTP API.
>
> Since this is such a big upgrade, we want to give you a chance to look
> at it beforehand. You can test at
>
>   https://gerrit-test.wikimedia.org/
>
> It holds a copy of our Gerrit data as of 15th of June, and it runs the
> new Gerrit v3.2.2. We'll keep tuning things there during this week, so
> it might get an occasional restart. But look around and test the new
> UI, the HTTP API, etc.
>
> If you run into issues or discover bugs, please open tickets in
> Phabricator and set the Gerrit 3.x upgrade task (T254158) as parent.
>
> Note that this test Gerrit instance is already hooked up with our
> Phabricator. If you upload / merge / abandon / etc changes with a
> `Bug: Tnnnn` footer, you'll get comments on the corresponding tasks in
> Gerrit. So please use our test task T775 for your experiments.
>

> As everything, also this upgrade comes with a few downsides:
>
> * The new UI no longer works on Internet Explorer (currently ~0.02% of
> Gerrit's web requests).
> Microsoft's Edge browser works though.
> So if you are still using Internet Explorer, please consider switching
> to a different browser.
>
> * Users of git-review need to use at least version 1.27 (released
> September 2018). Otherwise uploading changes will fail.
>
> * Your git should be at least version 2.2.0 (released November 2014)
> to take advantage of the new, much simpler commit-msg hook.
>

> Keeping my fingers crossed for a painless update,
> Christian with lots of helping hands from RelEng, and SRE

---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz
Christian Aistleitner
Kefermarkterstrasze 6a/3     Email:  [hidden email]
4293 Gutau, Austria          Phone:          +43 7946 / 20 5 81
                             Fax:            +43 7946 / 20 5 81
                             Homepage: http://quelltextlich.at/

Gerrit v3.2.2 is live [was: Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June]

Wikipedia Developers mailing list

The Gerrit upgrade finished, and the new and shiny Gerrit v3.2.2 is
live now on gerrit.wikimedia.org and is good to use again.

Please test and if you run into issues, don't hesitate to file a
ticket in Phabricator (Bonus points for adding the 'Gerrit' project
and/or making T254158 a parent task)

Huge thanks to all the people who helped. Foremost mutante and paladox
who both spent countless hours to prepare the upgrade. Also hashar
whose help around CI and deployment was invaluable. And all the other
hands who helped in preparing and deploying: thcipriani, jynus,
marostegui, godog and all whom I've forgotten.
This was a huge team effort. Thanks all!

Have fun,
Christian

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:58:23PM +0200, Christian Aistleitner via Wikitech-l wrote:

> [Apologies for cross-posting]
>
> Hi,
>
> TL;DR: We will take our Gerrit instance at gerrit.wikimeda.org offline
> on Saturday, 27th of June from 17:00--22:00 UTC (hopefully much
> shorter) to upgrade to the latest Gerrit v3.2.2.
>
> (10:00--15:00 San Francisco time, and 19:00--24:00 Central
> European time)
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> We're currently running Gerrit v2.15, which is no longer supported and
> we will upgrade to Gerrit v3.2 on Saturday 27th of June. This new
> version brings lots of improvements. The most noticeable change is
> probably the UI overhaul.  The (default) "old UI" gets removed and the
> "new UI" has been completely revamped. It's much more modern looking
> and easier to use. And it also became far more usable on mobile
> phones. But the new version of course also comes with fixes and
> additions around the ssh interface, and the HTTP API.
>
> Since this is such a big upgrade, we want to give you a chance to look
> at it beforehand. You can test at
>
>   https://gerrit-test.wikimedia.org/
>
> It holds a copy of our Gerrit data as of 15th of June, and it runs the
> new Gerrit v3.2.2. We'll keep tuning things there during this week, so
> it might get an occasional restart. But look around and test the new
> UI, the HTTP API, etc.
>
> If you run into issues or discover bugs, please open tickets in
> Phabricator and set the Gerrit 3.x upgrade task (T254158) as parent.
>
> Note that this test Gerrit instance is already hooked up with our
> Phabricator. If you upload / merge / abandon / etc changes with a
> `Bug: Tnnnn` footer, you'll get comments on the corresponding tasks in
> Gerrit. So please use our test task T775 for your experiments.
>

> As everything, also this upgrade comes with a few downsides:
>
> * The new UI no longer works on Internet Explorer (currently ~0.02% of
> Gerrit's web requests).
> Microsoft's Edge browser works though.
> So if you are still using Internet Explorer, please consider switching
> to a different browser.
>
> * Users of git-review need to use at least version 1.27 (released
> September 2018). Otherwise uploading changes will fail.
>
> * Your git should be at least version 2.2.0 (released November 2014)
> to take advantage of the new, much simpler commit-msg hook.
>

> Keeping my fingers crossed for a painless update,
> Christian with lots of helping hands from RelEng, and SRE

---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz
Christian Aistleitner
Kefermarkterstrasze 6a/3     Email:  [hidden email]
4293 Gutau, Austria          Phone:          +43 7946 / 20 5 81
                             Fax:            +43 7946 / 20 5 81
                             Homepage: http://quelltextlich.at/

Re: Gerrit v3.2.2 is live [was: Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June]

MusikAnimal
When I go to any patch I see the non-fatal error "Plugin install error:
TypeError: self.onAction is not a function from
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/delete-project/static/delete-project.js
"

I was about to create a Phabricator task for this, then realized the issue
was my browser's cache. So if you run into this try clearing your cache.

Thanks for all the hard work, all!

~ MA

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 04:57:46PM -0400, MusikAnimal wrote:
> When I go to any patch I see the non-fatal error "Plugin install error:
> TypeError: self.onAction is not a function from
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/delete-project/static/delete-project.js
> "
>
> I was about to create a Phabricator task for this, then realized the issue
> was my browser's cache. So if you run into this try clearing your cache.

It seems for some the Ctrl + F5 or Stift + Ctrl + F5 (or whatever
combination your browser wants) was not sufficient.

If you still run into the issue after pressing your browsers F5
combination, please try clearing your caches for good.

For example on Firefox follow steps 1-6 from

  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache#w_clear-the-cache

(If you use a different browser, it should allow you to clear cached
web content somewhere in the setting too. Please find that in your
browser's help pages and follow the instructions)

Have fun,
Christian

P.S.: Thanks to Legoktm for debugging that with me!

--
---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
                           Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz
Christian Aistleitner
Kefermarkterstrasze 6a/3     Email:  [hidden email]
4293 Gutau, Austria          Phone:          +43 7946 / 20 5 81
                             Fax:            +43 7946 / 20 5 81
                             Homepage: http://quelltextlich.at/

Re: Gerrit v3.2.2 is live [was: Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June]

Derick Alangi
Hi,

I'm personally a big fan of UI changes. I admire beautiful interfaces when
I see one and also like when systems improve on their user interfaces after
a while though some users could have overheads learning the new UI to get
used to it, but it's worth the change :).

Also, I'm aware it has never been an easy task migrating from an old system
to a new one. The switch entails an enormous amount of work from all the
teams making this change. I applaud everyone that was (and is) involved in
this work for their tremendous efforts they put in to make the Wikimedia
developer ecosystem better everyday. Thank you all very much.

I like the new UI and honestly, I've been kinda waiting for it very
anxiously (poke Paladox). The WMF is really making huge improvements to
satisfy its users (new Etherpad UI, now Gerrit 3, just to name a few). A
big congratulations to the team for a successful launch of Gerrit 3 to us
all.

Regards!

*--*

*Derick A.*

*From One Developer to Another!*

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:17 AM Christian Aistleitner via Wikitech-l <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 04:57:46PM -0400, MusikAnimal wrote:
> > When I go to any patch I see the non-fatal error "Plugin install error:
> > TypeError: self.onAction is not a function from
> >
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/delete-project/static/delete-project.js
> > "
> >
> > I was about to create a Phabricator task for this, then realized the
> issue
> > was my browser's cache. So if you run into this try clearing your cache.
>
> It seems for some the Ctrl + F5 or Stift + Ctrl + F5 (or whatever
> combination your browser wants) was not sufficient.
>
> If you still run into the issue after pressing your browsers F5
> combination, please try clearing your caches for good.
>
> For example on Firefox follow steps 1-6 from
>

> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache#w_clear-the-cache
>

> (If you use a different browser, it should allow you to clear cached
> web content somewhere in the setting too. Please find that in your
> browser's help pages and follow the instructions)
>

> Have fun,
> Christian
>

> P.S.: Thanks to Legoktm for debugging that with me!
>

> --
> ---- quelltextlich e.U. ---- \\ ---- Christian Aistleitner ----
>                            Companies' registry: 360296y in Linz
> Christian Aistleitner
> Kefermarkterstrasze 6a/3     Email:  [hidden email]
> 4293 Gutau, Austria          Phone:          +43 7946 / 20 5 81
>                              Fax:            +43 7946 / 20 5 81
>                              Homepage: http://quelltextlich.at/

Re: Gerrit v3.2.2 is live [was: Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June]

Chris Danis
Something of note, since I've seen it come up multiple times: if you use
git-review to submit patches to gerrit, make sure you have 1.27 or newer
(not 1.26).  git-review 1.26 does not work with the new gerrit version.

Thanks to all who helped with the upgrade!

--
Chris Danis (he/him)
Sr. Site Reliability Engineer

Re: Gerrit v3.2.2 is live [was: Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June]

Thiemo Kreuz
Two thinks:

1. When following the instructions from
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/git-review, I got stuck with
git-review 1.26 being reported as the "latest version". Which isn't
true. I had to use `sudo pip install git-review` to get the current
version 1.28.

2. I would love to apply some minor user CSS to the Gerrit UI, just as
I did with the old version:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thiemo_Kreuz_(WMDE)/userContent.css.
Unfortunately the new UI heavily uses "shadow DOM", which means no
matter what CSS rules I introduce, the Gerrit UI just ignores it.
There must be a way. Please help.

Best
Thiemo

Re: Gerrit v3.2.2 is live [was: Re: Gerrit upgrade on Saturday, 27th of June]

Bryan Davis
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 8:28 AM Thiemo Kreuz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. I would love to apply some minor user CSS to the Gerrit UI, just as
> I did with the old version:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thiemo_Kreuz_(WMDE)/userContent.css.
> Unfortunately the new UI heavily uses "shadow DOM", which means no
> matter what CSS rules I introduce, the Gerrit UI just ignores it.
> There must be a way. Please help.

I wasted my time so you don't have to! I too wanted to apply some
visual changes to the  Gerrit 3.x UI. I ended up with what I know is a
horribly inefficient, but working!,  GreaseMonkey script which scans
the DOM and injects CSS into each shadow DOM object it finds. You can
find my code for this at
<https://github.com/bd808/userscripts/blob/gh-pages/wmfgerrit.user.js>.

Basically the code I put together walks the initial DOM checking every
element to see if it has a shadow DOM component, if it does then the
script will 1) inject my style sheet into that DOM, 2) check every
element in that DOM for more shadow DOM nodes to "fix", and finally 3)
setup a MutationObserver to be alerted for any new DOM insertions and
check them for shadow DOM presence. I'm sure there are more elegant
implementations (my javascript fu is not the best), but this one is
working for now and does not seem to cause any significant load issues
in my browser.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Technical Engagement      Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer                               Boise, ID USA