Get data from external SMW by inline queries

Get data from external SMW by inline queries

Kai Hüner-2
Dear SMW developers,

Is there any known configuration, extension or "workaround" to get data from an external SMW (W1) by an inline query from another SMW (W2)?
I am thinking of something like (query from W2) {{ #ask: [[W1:Category:Some concept]] | ?W1:Has definition }} where you register "W1" as an interwiki link prefix.

Of course, I am aware of the InterWiki extension which enables querying external SPARQL endpoints.
However, it is a mess to wrap query results by templates into convenient wiki pages similar to SMW inline query results.

Beside the name of the "silver bullet" SMW extension for this linked-data feature I would also be happy about any idea "how to" or concern "why not" to develop such a feature.

Looking forward to your comments,
Yours,
kai

Re: Get data from external SMW by inline queries

Tobias Oetterer
Hi Kai

I use Extension:ExternalData for that purpose.

To be a little bit more precise: On W2 #get_web_data gets passed an url to a
semantic search on W1. That url you can easily construct on W1 on the
special page semantic search or you construct your query and use format=csv.
#get_web_data's format in that case would be "csv with headers", and for
every property you want to read form W1 you also have to include a mapping
in the data-parameter.
Afterwards, get your data via #external_value or #display_external_table.

Regards,
Tobias

--
If this email is rather brief, it is not meant to be impolite but to respect
your time.

University of Paderborn
Zentrum IMT
Warburger Straße 100