Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Frederick Noronha
Dear all:

Konkani Wikipedia [http://bit.ly/14bTwAi] is in its incubation stage. We would like to attempt to scale it up. Can someone point me to the essential messages that need to be translated (into Konkani), as I could try to get help to get those done.

Thanks in advance, FN

Frederick Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या ಫ್ರೆದೆರಿಕ್ ನರನ್ಯಾ ഫ്രെദെരിക് നരന്യാ
فريدريك نورونيا

FN +91-832-2409490 or +91-9822122436 [hidden email]
Audio recordings (mostly from Goa): http://bit.ly/GoaRecordings

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Amir E. Aharoni
2013/3/10 Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا
<[hidden email]>:
> Dear all:
>
> Konkani Wikipedia [http://bit.ly/14bTwAi] is in its incubation stage. We
> would like to attempt to scale it up. Can someone point me to the essential
> messages that need to be translated (into Konkani), as I could try to get
> help to get those done.

Here you go:

Devanagari: https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=core-0-mostused&language=gom-latn&filter=!translated&action=translate
Latin: https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=core-0-mostused&language=gom-latn&filter=!translated&action=translate

Good luck, and thank you for your effort!

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Tejaswini Niranjana
Dear Frederick,
It's nice to see your signature in several Indian languages!

Wanted to know which script Konkani wikipedia is planning to use, Devanagari or Kannada or both? It would be good if you could throw some light on comparative statistics regarding how many Konkani speakers use which script.

Thanks,
Tejaswini

On 11 March 2013 02:37, Frederick FN Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या *فريدريك نورونيا <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all:

Konkani Wikipedia [http://bit.ly/14bTwAi] is in its incubation stage. We would like to attempt to scale it up. Can someone point me to the essential messages that need to be translated (into Konkani), as I could try to get help to get those done.

Thanks in advance, FN

Frederick Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या ಫ್ರೆದೆರಿಕ್ ನರನ್ಯಾ ഫ്രെദെരിക് നരന്യാ
فريدريك نورونيا

FN <a href="tel:%2B91-832-2409490" value="+918322409490" target="_blank">+91-832-2409490 or <a href="tel:%2B91-9822122436" value="+919822122436" target="_blank">+91-9822122436 [hidden email]
Audio recordings (mostly from Goa): http://bit.ly/GoaRecordings

Tejaswini Niranjana, PhD
Lead Researcher - Higher Education Innovation and Research Applications (HEIRA)
Senior Fellow - Centre for the Study of Culture and Society (CSCS)
Visiting Professor - Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS)
Visiting Faculty - Centre for Contemporary Studies, Indian Institute
of Science (CCS-IISc)

t: 91-80-26730476, 26730967, 26730268
f: 91-80-26730722
http://heira.in
www.cscs.res.in

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)-2
Konkani belongs to somewhat a unique class of Wikimedia languages where many scripts may be used for the same content. Not exclusive, this list includes at least English, Devanagari, Kannada and Malayalam.

The ideal goal in the case of a Konkani Wikimedia project is to have an input system in any script from the above set as the user prefers and then also to render the output in any script from the above set. The content itself may be stored in some particular script or code space.

If I remember correctly, there have been several discussions in possible techniques and tools to enable such a feature. Amir (Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי), Shiju Alex or Santhosh Thottingal may be able to enlighten us more about this.

This may also be the case for Sanskrit, as Sanskrit used to be scribed in different scripts (other than just in devanagari) in different regions. Perhaps, we should even have a Harward-Kyoto transliterated version for Sanskrit.

On an even more ambitious scale, I dream about each Indic language being available for input and output in every other Indic scripts. (Imagine someone in Kerala trying to read and practice a Bengali poem without having to know the Bengali script itself, and vice versa.)

-Viswam

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Tejaswini Niranjana <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Santhosh Thottingal-2

On Monday, March 11, 2013, Tejaswini Niranjana wrote:
Dear Frederick,
It's nice to see your signature in several Indian languages!

Wanted to know which script Konkani wikipedia is planning to use, Devanagari or Kannada or both? It would be good if you could throw some light on comparative statistics regarding how many Konkani speakers use which script.

FYI,  Many languages in MediaWiki has script variants with automatic script conversion. Here is my assessment on Konkani and technical instructions if somebody from Konkani community interested in this http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Automatic_conversion_in_Konkani_language

Thanks
Santhosh

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Vishnu t
Dear Santhosh,

Thank you for sharing this very useful link. Will touch base with you, offline, for more help on this. Thanks.

Warmly,
Vishnu

On 11 March 2013 10:05, Santhosh Thottingal <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Monday, March 11, 2013, Tejaswini Niranjana wrote:
Dear Frederick,
It's nice to see your signature in several Indian languages!

Wanted to know which script Konkani wikipedia is planning to use, Devanagari or Kannada or both? It would be good if you could throw some light on comparative statistics regarding how many Konkani speakers use which script.

FYI,  Many languages in MediaWiki has script variants with automatic script conversion. Here is my assessment on Konkani and technical instructions if somebody from Konkani community interested in this http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Automatic_conversion_in_Konkani_language

Thanks
Santhosh

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Tejaswini Niranjana
That last utopian comment needs to be made a reality.

Thanks for putting the issue so well.

Tejaswini

On 11 March 2013 12:35, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Tejaswini Niranjana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That last utopian comment needs to be made a reality.

I wouldn't call it utopian, but it would be long-haul. One way of
ensuring that work on that gets done is to frame a project idea and
put it up as a project under Google Summer of Code, preferably with an
interested mentor.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Vishnu t
How long a haul this could be? Asking out of curiosity.

On 11 March 2013 10:17, sankarshan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Tejaswini Niranjana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That last utopian comment needs to be made a reality.

I wouldn't call it utopian, but it would be long-haul. One way of
ensuring that work on that gets done is to frame a project idea and
put it up as a project under Google Summer of Code, preferably with an
interested mentor.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Dr Pavanaja

This is not a very big task. All Indic scripts are separated by decimal 128 in Unicode charts. For ex., take Hindi “ka”. Add 128 to its Unicode value to get Bengali “ka”. I had written a simple such transliterator long ago, using VB.NET. I did not write any web interface to that.

Regards,

Pavanaja

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Vishnu t <[hidden email]> wrote:
How long a haul this could be? Asking out of curiosity.

Of course, this depends upon the amount of synergy we put in. In terms of computing technology, this should not be a problem at all. But someone will have to conceive and design a basic framework and engine (like an MVC model) that can be used with a common back end repository for contents in all languages. There shall be 100% accurate and lossless reversible script-to-script translation maps working on real time (at the instances of inputting and rendering).

Some possible obstacles, as it occurs to me:

1. Increased server/browser load due to the additional processing

2. Incompatibilities and non-uniqueness between scripts. (For eg: Some languages have letters / phonemes that are not available in some other languages, [eg.  ഴ (a sound/letter in Malayalam)( ಳ / ழ/ ళ)
3. Availability of enough multi-lingual experts to verify the quality of such translations

4. Implementation of long-term standards and version control.

-Viswam

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Pavanaja U B
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is not a very big task. All Indic scripts are separated by decimal 128
> in Unicode charts. For ex., take Hindi “ka”. Add 128 to its Unicode value to
> get Bengali “ka”. I had written a simple such transliterator long ago, using
> VB.NET. I did not write any web interface to that.

Then I'd say all that remains is pointing an interested party to the
source code of your tool and, asking them to assess writing a web-app.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Dr Pavanaja

But then there is one issue of missing characters in some scripts. For example Tamil has very few characters. When we transliterate from other language into Tamil, say Kannada, we will have to put one character instead of another. The original character will be lost. When we transliterate back to Kannada from Tamil 2 or more characters will become just one. One classic example is the case of kaanthi and gaandhi. In Tamil, both are written same.

There were huge discussions on this topic in the Indic Unicode mailing list.

Thanks and regards,

Pavanaja

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Pavanaja U B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is not a very big task. All Indic scripts are separated by

> decimal 128 in Unicode charts. For ex., take Hindi “ka”. Add 128 to

> its Unicode value to get Bengali “ka”. I had written a simple such

> transliterator long ago, using VB.NET. I did not write any web interface to that.

Then I'd say all that remains is pointing an interested party to the source code of your tool and, asking them to assess writing a web-app.

--

sankarshan mukhopadhyay

<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Pavanaja U B
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But then there is one issue of missing characters in some scripts. For
> example Tamil has very few characters. When we transliterate from other
> language into Tamil, say Kannada, we will have to put one character instead
> of another. The original character will be lost. When we transliterate back
> to Kannada from Tamil 2 or more characters will become just one. One classic
> example is the case of kaanthi and gaandhi. In Tamil, both are written same.

Without attempting to belabor this point, if you have previously
attempted to address this, is it possible to point out the code-base
so that an interested contributor can pick up and run with it?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Anivar Aravind
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM, sankarshan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Pavanaja U B
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But then there is one issue of missing characters in some scripts. For
>> example Tamil has very few characters. When we transliterate from other
>> language into Tamil, say Kannada, we will have to put one character instead
>> of another. The original character will be lost. When we transliterate back
>> to Kannada from Tamil 2 or more characters will become just one. One classic
>> example is the case of kaanthi and gaandhi. In Tamil, both are written same.
>
> Without attempting to belabor this point, if you have previously
> attempted to address this, is it possible to point out the code-base
> so that an interested contributor can pick up and run with it?

Make use of Indic soundex tables
http://silpa.org.in/Soundex
Tables here http://thottingal.in/soundex/soundex.html
Read more at http://thottingal.in/blog/2009/07/26/indicsoundex/

~ regards
Anivar

Re: Getting a new language Wikipedia going...

Frederick FN Noronha *  फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا
Dear Tejaswini Niranjan,

My apologies for the delay in responding, was offline for much of the day.

Depending on whom you ask, you could get different replies about the script Konkani uses. My understanding is as follows:

Devanagari-script Konkani = Official script in Goa. Prizes are mostly given for books in this script. Konkani studies at the university (BA and MA level, also a few PhDs) are done in this script. One daily newspaper run in this script in Goa.

Roman-script Konkani = widely used in Goa due to historic reasons (the first printing press in Asia was set up here in 1556) from the mid-16th to at least the mid-20th century. Lots of writing in this script. Still used.

Kannada-script Konkani = widely used in Karnataka (also among Karnataka-expats in places like Mumbai). Numerous magazines and newspapers run in this script.

Malayalam-script Konkani = has been used by Konkani speakers in Kerala. Not sure how active now ... as some in Kerala have expressed an interest to shifting over to Devanagari.

Perso-Arabic script Konkani = used by some (smaller) communities along the Karnataka coast. Not sure how widely used currently.

Kindly note that there is also some degree of dialectical variations among the different scripts. So, in my view, automatic machine conversion from one script to another could result in incomprehensible text. But a machine conversion aided by a human knowing more than one script could work.

Frederick Noronha फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या ಫ್ರೆದೆರಿಕ್ ನರನ್ಯಾ ഫ്രെദെരിക് നരന്യാ فريدريك نورونيا

--
FN  Land +91-832-240-9490 Cell  +91-982-212-2436 [hidden email]
Goa,1556 titles: http://bit.ly/Goa1556Books2