Getting a wiki to use another wikis user table in addition to its own

Getting a wiki to use another wikis user table in addition to its own

Jan-Paul Köster
Hello Everyone,

in our organization we would like to set up several wikis to coordinate
and document our various projects. Several of these projects have
outside participants so we would like these people to have access to
some of the wikis, but not all of them. One of the wikis will have no
outside participants and will only be available to our employees.

We are now looking for a way to allow these core users to log into the
other wikis with their login information from the main wiki so they
don't have to juggle with multiple logins. Is there an easy way or an
existing solution to get the different wikis to check the "main wiki"
user table in addition to their own or do you have any other ideas how
this functionality can be accomplished.

Thanks,
Jan-Paul Köster

Re: Getting a wiki to use another wikis user table in addition to its own

Stephen Warren
Jan-Paul Köster wrote:
> We are now looking for a way to allow these core users to log into the
> other wikis with their login information from the main wiki so they
> don't have to juggle with multiple logins. Is there an easy way or an
> existing solution to get the different wikis to check the "main wiki"
> user table in addition to their own or do you have any other ideas how
> this functionality can be accomplished.

Setup your web-server to do the authentication via a single user
database (file, PAM, LDAP, ...) and use the web-server to enforce which
top-level URLs (i.e. which wikis) each user has access to (via user's
membership of certain groups).

Then, use this to transfer web-server auth to mediawiki:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Otheus/Auto_Login_via_REMOTE_USER