Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Shrinivasan T
The side bar of any famous person in Tamil wikipedia has the birthday of
the person.

Example:
https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/im6
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagesh

Is there any way to notify this in the front/home page of the Tamil
wikipedia ?

Just like a "Today in history"  etc.

Thanks.

T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get CollabNet Subversion Edge :     http://www.collab.net/svnedge

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 10/03/2013 09:02 AM, Shrinivasan T wrote:
> The side bar of any famous person in Tamil wikipedia has the birthday of
> the person.
>
> Example:
> https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/im6
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagesh
>
> Is there any way to notify this in the front/home page of the Tamil
> wikipedia ?

Wikidata + JS to the rescue!??

Mark.

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Shrinivasan T
> Wikidata + JS to the rescue!??

Thanks for the reply.

I am very new to the wikidata.

Please explain little more on how to access the data in the sidebar to get
details of the date using wikidata.

On 10/03/2013 09:18 AM, Shrinivasan T wrote:
>> Wikidata + JS to the rescue!??
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I am very new to the wikidata.

Me too.

Unfortunately I don't see a way to get this information any API query.

You can find someone's birthday, but I don't see a way to look for
entities that are people (P735 -- personal name) with birthdays (P569).

Mark.

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
There are many ways of doing this.. However, when you want this to work for
you, it takes a big effort to make this happen. Long term you may have to
do the least by using Wikidata.
Thanks,
      Gerard

On 3 October 2013 15:02, Shrinivasan T <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The side bar of any famous person in Tamil wikipedia has the birthday of
> the person.
>
> Example:
> https://ta.wikipedia.org/s/im6
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagesh
>
> Is there any way to notify this in the front/home page of the Tamil
> wikipedia ?
>
> Just like a "Today in history"  etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
> T.Shrinivasan
>

> My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
> Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com
>
> Get CollabNet Subversion Edge :     http://www.collab.net/svnedge

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

John Mark Vandenberg
On Oct 3, 2013 10:05 PM, "Mark A. Hershberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/03/2013 09:18 AM, Shrinivasan T wrote:
> >> Wikidata + JS to the rescue!??
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I am very new to the wikidata.
>
> Me too.
>
> Unfortunately I don't see a way to get this information any API query.
>
> You can find someone's birthday, but I don't see a way to look for
> entities that are people (P735 -- personal name) with birthdays (P569).
>
> Mark.

An automated sidebar that includes any entities that have a significant
date on todays day would be useful for small projects that dont want to
spend lots of time building a hand-picked list.

E.g. The list on wikisources would have works published on the day of the
year.

--
John

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Bináris
2013/10/3 John Vandenberg <[hidden email]>

> An automated sidebar that includes any entities that have a significant
> date on todays day would be useful for small projects that dont want to
> spend lots of time building a hand-picked list.

A half-way solution between automated sidebars and hand-picked lists:
wikipage being updated by bot and a link to that page from sidebar. If the
work for it is done, a template seems to be more useful than an "ordinary"
page.

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Shrinivasan T
Thanks for the info friends.

I want to get the date info from the "infobox". not from the sidebar, as I
told in my initial mail.
Now only I knew about the sidebar.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sidebar

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/10/3 John Vandenberg <[hidden email]>
>

> > An automated sidebar that includes any entities that have a significant
> > date on todays day would be useful for small projects that dont want to
> > spend lots of time building a hand-picked list.
> >

> A half-way solution between automated sidebars and hand-picked lists:
> wikipage being updated by bot and a link to that page from sidebar. If the
> work for it is done, a template seems to be more useful than an "ordinary"
> page.

T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get CollabNet Subversion Edge :     http://www.collab.net/svnedge

Re: Getting birthday from the sidebar of a wiki page and showing in the home page

Legoktm
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't see a way to get this information any API query.
>
> You can find someone's birthday, but I don't see a way to look for
> entities that are people (P735 -- personal name) with birthdays (P569).

This feature of Wikidata is still in progress,  for the time being you can
use Magnus's tool[1] to generate a list that a bot could use.

[1] http://208.80.153.172/

--Legoktm